Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:57 AM

541 posts, read 1,341,072 times

Advertisements

I moved on Thanksgiving to Temecula and my personal opinion is,the air is very bad.I am about to get informed about strip mining around Temecula and mineral dust.What do you know about it?What could you tell me about mining around Temecula?

I can not find too much on the net.

Is Granite having a ‘panic attack?’ :: The Valley News

YouTube - Huge Pit Mine in the middle of So. Calif?

YouTube - Temecula Quarry Quarrel: Should there be Liberty for all?

YouTube - The Aftermath of Strip Mining

Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 11:04 AM

[LEFT]Strip Mining – a Definition

One third of America’s coal is mined in the Appalachia using the strip mining technique called Mountain Top Removal which literally means the actual removal of the mountain top. The coal is found in the mountain stacked up in layers similar to the frosting in cake and mining operations are set up to remove the coal as effectively and as cheaply as possible. It used to be that mining operations dug tunnels into the mountain and retrieved the coal that way, but with the demands for energy and coal growing it became necessary to find quicker and cheaper ways to obtain the coal. In strip mining, the land is first bulldozed and dynamited to expose the bedrock and coal. Using some of the heaviest and biggest equipment that run on diesel, the top layer (called the overburden) is hauled away and is deposited into the valleys or put back onto the mountain when the operation ends. This effectively [COLOR=#3399cc !important][COLOR=#3399cc !important]exposes
[/color] the coal, which is mined and hauled away.

Environmental Impact – Water Resources

The waste sludge from coal mining is a toxic brew of mercury, diesel and other chemicals that are placed into unlined slurry dams, which in turn seeps into the groundwater and eventually finds it way into the drinking water supply. Overburden placed in valleys increase metal burden of the water or in some cases completely covering up the stream.

Environmental Impact- Air Quality

Strip mining affects the air quality in different ways. When all the vegetation is removed the ground is exposed the elements, causing windborne particulates. These naturally occurring particulates like arsenic and lead are harmless when in the ground but when airborne they can cause ailments that affect the respiratory tract when inhaled or a group of other adverse health effects when absorbed through the skin or ingested. The [COLOR=#3399cc !important][COLOR=#3399cc !important]diesel [COLOR=#3399cc !important]engines[/color][/color][/color] of the onsite heavy duty equipment also release toxic particulate matter and toxic gases.

Environmental Impact – Ecology

The increase in soil erosion and metal loading affects the native aquatic life leaving behind fewer species. Ecosystems are truncated by the areas of bare ground caused by the abandoned mines. Despite the federal laws and regulations like Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), Comprehensive Environment Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) and the Surface Mining and Control Act (SMCA) which are geared to reclaim the savaged ground, restoring the land is near impossible. Re-vegetation is difficult as trees almost always fail to grow leaving mountain tops that have been hydro-seeded. These new ecosystems support only a limited amount of wildlife.

The Future of Strip Mining

Strip mining has destroyed over 740,000 acres of forests and 1,000 miles of waterways. Just like the elephant in the room, something has to be done. A group called the Coal River Wind Project is proposing a wind farm on one mountain instead of having it mined. As of December 2008, there is a bill in the House called the [COLOR=#3399cc !important][COLOR=#3399cc !important]Clean [COLOR=#3399cc !important]Water[/color][/color][/color] Protection Act if passed into law that would help save some of the streams in the valleys that are lost or compromised by the depositing of overburden. However, with the environmentally detrimental measures passed by outgoing President Bush in his final hours threatens not only the environment but the health of communities near coal mines and coal plants by allowing them to dump their waste in local streams and valleys. Hopefully, the new administration will be able to save us from the harms of the coal industry, that yet remains to be seen.

[/color][/LEFT]

Old 06-19-2010, 11:10 AM

Every law ever written about coal mining was written in our blood great article

Coal Mine Laws Written in Blood: An Interview with Judy Bonds

Old 06-19-2010, 11:13 AM

Liberty Quarry Concerns - Temecula, California

Old 06-19-2010, 11:22 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Why are you citing coal mining information when there's no coal mining going on in your area?

Old 06-19-2010, 11:50 PM

458 posts, read 1,263,780 times
Cause she a faulking idiot... just saying

Old 06-20-2010, 07:39 AM

danalysd...do not be a smart a....it was just an example about mining generally...mining generally has very bad effects on environment and health...it is important for me to be very good informend about ALL mine activities in the area (mines that were build or are going to be build)...i want to know exactly,where they are,which distance from temecula and i will also research everything about the one,who is not build yet...i will talk with people close to the neighborhoods,i will read reports and so on...i will get informed...i intended to buy a house and i will not invest any penny hier or make a bussiness,as long as i did not clarify everything...mine activity hier in temecula would bring the prices of houses very down and would expose my health and the health of my familly...i believe,when i see black on white,it was denied...right now is unclear,what the situation will be with this mine in temecula...i will talk with people from the neighborhoods rigth next to the mine,(if the mine is built),i will read reports and so on...i want to be very good informed,not only because of the finacial aspect,but also about health and environment..i wnat to know,how far away there is mine activity around my house and my family...i am new to the area and such informations are vital for the health of my familly (live far away from it and if it is too close,just move away and not expose my familly)and also for my finances...i do not lose money,i never make bad investitions...if a project is unclear,i will for sure not buy anything hier till situation is clarified...i do not jeopardize my money
i do not wnat to have a mine in my backyard or in the town i live....no, thank you...i have other options too...usa is big..

it is nothign wrong to be good informed and not live in the dark..if you have a problem with that,it is your problem not mine...i care about the way my family is exposed and about my finances,get it??....keep your smart comments for you,they do not impress me at all...

Last edited by Buburuza13; 06-20-2010 at 08:06 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 08:44 AM

458 posts, read 1,263,780 times
I'm not trying to impress you.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:01 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
European lady, you're wasting your time doing research on coal mining. That type of mining brings its own unique set of hazards and problems. Best you stick to the type of mining proposed for your area.

There isn't enough coal in those mountains to make mining it economically viable. They discovered that fact back in the late 19th century.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:20 AM

fontucky,i am reading everything,because i like to read and also helps me,to improve my english knowledges...it is not a waste of time..through reading you can improve your language very much...

and i read everything,what i find about usa..it is the country,i live in right now and there so much more to find out...

dana...it is not my intention,to argue,hurt you or whatsoever..i am not sensitive to your comments (only to eathquakes,snakes and mining),i have 2 ears,left in,right out (if i do not like a comment)...i have more importante concerns right now,seriously then worry about your comments:health risks,future home values,future investitions and so on...it totally changed my planns and i need ot get informed...i am not happy about these word right now:mining and everythign written about it:

http://www.libertyquarry.com/

"Health risk, freeway traffic, job loss and adverse enivornental impact combine to make Temecula a less desirable place to live which directly impacts decisions to buy property and consequently property values. California state law requires disclosure of "Material Facts" that may cause some one to alter their decision to act. That would include Liberty Quarry. If you think this won't have a negative impact on home values and home equity, please think again."

i found out about liberty quarry,but i am trying to find out,about existing mine activities around..you all people,who live hier longer,you could be able to tell me something about it....are there other mine activities around?how far away from temecula?

Last edited by Buburuza13; 06-20-2010 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties