Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 12,491 times

Advertisements

I'm a young(single no kids) professional and have an job oppurtunity at our office in Ontario, CA. Our office is pretty close to the Ontario Airport. I've visited the area but it was 4 years ago and I wasn't looking to move then.

I'm looking for suggestions about where to live in the area, I currently have a 30 minute 15 miles work commute in Huntsville, Alabama and realize my commute will probably be a bit longer. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment in a safe neighborhood, looks like places will be around $900-$1000/month. Are there any areas that I should stay away from, I don't want to live in bullet alley. As said I'm single and have no kids, so I'm not worried about school districts, but I do want to be close to entertainment, and relatively close to work. If I could have a list of places to look at when I go for a interview it would be great.

Any suggestions about where to/or not to look would be great.

Thanks

George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 10:38 PM

93 posts, read 279,200 times
I don't know that you'll have to commute as far you're thinking you will. Check out Eastvale....mostly single family homes, but there are a few apartments there. It's just south of Ontario on the 15. Also, look at Rancho Cucamonga either near Ontario Mills Mall off of Milliken or up near Victoria Gardens off Foothill. There's tons of newer stuff near Victoria Gardens and lots of good restaurants and shopping.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the help, are there any places, areas that I should avoid in the Ontario, Rancho areas? Looks like Victoria Gardens is pretty nice and new with a decent amount of entertainment, restaraunts etc. Any apartments that I should avoid, or ones that someone could recommend. Looking for something in the $800-$1000 range. I'll probably rent a place for a year to decide if I want to buy and what areas I would buy in.

Again any help is much appreciated. I'm planning my visit out there for the week of July 12

Old 06-14-2010, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,852 times
The Verano apartments in Rancho Cucamonga are very nice and centrally located, my good friend just moved out of there a couple months ago (nothing wrong with the apts, she just bought a home). She rented a small but nice studio for I believe $1068/month...included a washer/dryer in the apt, walk in closet, and 1 car garage (I think she paid extra for the garage). That location would put you around 5 miles from work (based on your statement that you'll work near Ontario airport). Rancho does offer newer construction as far as apartments go (especially in the area directly surrounding Victoria Gardens) but it's a little too far east for my liking where you'll be farther from museums, fine dining, theatres, clubs...most of those things are going to be lin LA/Orange county. I personally am not a huge fan of Ontario (I have lived there before)...don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible area, but there are nicer surrounding cities (Chino, Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga) where you can rent for the same or a little more and I think it's worth it. It's difficult to explain to someone who is not familiar with the area, but I would suggest staying away from anywhere in Ontario that is near the dairy farms (mostly off of the 60 frwy near Riverside Dr/Euclid Ave). I used to live about 1 mile from that area and its stinky (especially in the summer) and there's lots of flies. Chino/Chino Hills (Chino Hills will be the most expensive of all these areas but if you can swing it is worth it!) will put you a little more south/west of Ontario so you'll be closer to Orange County and LA County where there's a lot more to see and do as a single person. There's also "The Shoppes at Chino Hills" for shopping and eating (similar but smaller than Victoria Gardens). I currently rent in Chino Hills and love it. Unless there's a big accident or something, it's never taken me more than 25 minutes to get to Ontario airport (I'm using this as a point of reference for the area in which you'll be working). Like I said, Chino Hills is probably the most expensive of the surrounding areas but you get what you pay for, right? I'm a 24 year old female professional and manage rent and living expenses just fine. I've lived here for 5 years and have found it to be safe, clean, and centrally located. It's expensive to buy here but that makes for neighbors who really care about the area safety and how it looks. Hope some of this helps...good luck!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,282 times
There are tons of nice apartments around the Ontario Mills Mall. Tons of options off of Haven Avenue in Rancho. Also tons of apts. off of 4th St. You shouldn't even have to commute honestly. Anything in Rancho will be safe. I think for a decent 1 bed though, you may have to spend a bit more depending on how high your standards are.
Some decent complexes I can think of are:
Landmark
Vintage
Empire Lakes
there are also many nice complexes near Victoria Gardens but they are probably a bit more expensive than what you are looking to spend

PS: I'd just stay in Huntsville

Old 06-15-2010, 06:15 AM

I wouldn't mind to stay in Huntsville but it is a chance to move up in an industry that I like with an organization I enjoy working for. It is a move out to move up sort of thing. Thanks for all the help, I'll check those places out when I visit out there. I'm sure some folks from the office can help too just want to get an idea of where to look so I don't waste time looking at places that are dumps.

So from a cost perspective it looks like Chino Hills>Chino>RC>Ontario?

Thanks again for all of the help.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:23 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cieutag View Post

So from a cost perspective it looks like Chino Hills>Chino>RC>Ontario?
No, more like Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, Chino.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Chino Hills is for families. So is RC but to a lesser degree. Id put RC over CH in your position. Ontario Mills is kinda gross. I mean, the mall has good deals but i'd prefer to spend time in Victoria Gardens if I want to be near somewhere with a cool vibe.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
What's a cool vibe?

Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
What's a cool vibe?
Don't you know? Ontario Mills is soooo ten years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties