Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times

Advertisements

I'll be going on a cross country trip and back in two weeks to California and am just wondering if any of yall are familiar with Victorville, San Bernardino, and Needles.....based on books I've read Victorville and Needles are supposed to be historic towns on historic Route 66 that evoke the good ol days, and that while San Bernardino is a major city there are still many Route 66 sights in the area. We will be driving to Los Angeles from Utah/Nevada down I-15 and then east toward Arizona and New Mexico after a couple days in L.A.

So for trip planning, just wondering if these places are worth stopping in and how long it would take to see the sights. Anyone specifically can suggest their favorite diners/cafes (either country style/down home cooking or Mexican food) on Route 66? HOpefully one that was there in the heyday of 66 and has a lot of history? I do know about Roy's in Amboy but that will be out of the way too far but in Victorville, SB and Needles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:31 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
The following three restaurants all date back to the US 66, pre-15 days. I've been to each one and recommend them all.

Emma Jean's Holland Burger Cafe
17143 N D St
Victorville, CA 92394

Summit Inn Restaurant
5960 Mariposa Rd
Oak Hills, CA 92345

Newton's Outpost Cafe
8685 US Hwy 395
Hesperia, CA 92345

I can recommend some along the Fontana/Cucamonga stretch of Rt 66 if you think you'll still be hungry once you get down here into the valley.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:39 PM

I suggest you take old 66 (National Trails Hwy) South out of Barstow, bypassing the freeway for some 35 miles. You'll pass through some classic old towns that seem frozen in time. Near the end of your journey along the old alignment, you'll conveniently pass right by Emma Jean's.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:54 PM

212 posts, read 640,986 times
Yes! Another Rt.66'er!
First, contact the National Route 66 Association, and they'll be more than happy to give you info. There's a Rt. 66 Museum in Victorville.
Then, go to the bookstore, which it sounds like you've already done, and read up. Go online, and just google Rt.66 attractions, and you'll have more info that you can digest.

I took a trip east from CA last year, and saw lots of stuff on 66. Depending on what you think is interesting, there is just so much to see. Much of 66 is still there and drivable (such fun!!) and you certainly don't have to travel the whole thing to enjoy it; just bits and pieces here and there give you a sense of the Mother Road.

Much of what you'll see is abandoned things; motels, gas stations, etc, which is fascinating, but there are many many survivors too.

In AZ, there is Twin Arrows, Two Guns (both abandoned trading posts), right along side the road. In NM there is of course Albuquerque (the Old Town part is fun).

If you're staying overnight in NM, I highly recommend the Blue Swallow in Tucumcari, a great old-fashioned motel, with great neon at night. I stayed there, it's great to go back in time a bit to see how people used to experience motels; the Blue Swallow still has dial phones in the room (they work!), but everything has been updated, so it's a nice stay.

Here are some pics to whet your appetite:
Worlds longest Rt.66 map:

Wigwam hotel in Holbrook AZ

Old Town Albuquerque:

Rt. 66 sculpture in Tucumcari, NM

Good Travels to you! PM me for more recommendations if you'd like.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:59 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Stop at Amboy.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:44 PM

90 posts, read 321,676 times
Is the Wigwam Hotel in Fontana/Rialto still functional on the route, or did they level that for a McBurgenny's?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 PM

It's still there in Rialto, but it's a motel rather than a hotel.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:02 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Thanks a lot for the replies! I think Emma Jean's definitely sounds good for lunch. We do have limited time but we definitely will stop there for lunch or dinner goin to or from LA.

We'll be spending a night in Kingman and driving Route 66 to Seligman then taking the INterstate eastward but making some stops in Williams, Winslow, Holbrook, Gallup, and Tucumcari. I actually did look into the Blue Swallow but their office closes too early for our check-in but we booked the Route 66 Motels in both Kingman and Tucumcari. Also plan on hitting up the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo and seeing the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:07 PM

I suggest the Brian Burger at Emma Jean's.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:25 PM

212 posts, read 640,986 times
A few more quick stops you can make:

Glenrio TX: Ghost town on the NM/TX border, home of the "first/last motel"
(first motel if you're coming INTO Texas, last motel if you're LEAVING)

Adrian TX: the mid-point on Rt.66. Great little 66 cafe, with good food; be sure and sign the guest book.

Conroy TX: (if you're going this far), Up the road a ways from the Cadillac Ranch, this is the same concept, but with VW bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties