Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,919,897 times

Advertisements

The IE isn't exactly a crime-free paradise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,914,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I guess...but we couldn't just go to LA in the morning and come back at night? LA hotels are expensive! And for two weeks stay we won't have enough money to stay. We need spending money. We're only going to have about $2,000 with us. The $1,000 already takes up the plane tickets, rental car, and hotel. The most expensive thing we plan to do with the remaining money is go to an amusement park or the Arclight theaters and fancy schmancy restaurants.
Are you accounting for gas to/from Ontario? You realize that you're talking about very long round-trips to/from LA, right?

The Buena Park Red Roof is cheaper than the Ontario Red Roof by a couple bucks/night.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,976,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The IE isn't exactly a crime-free paradise...
But it's portrayed so well on TV. Like there's always some part of the 909/951 that's on ... ummm, COPS.

Back to the topic on hand ... I do prefer flying in and out of Ontario; it's just so much less chaotic compared to LAX. However, since your activities aren't in the IE, definitely stay elsewhere.

Besides Hollywood and the beach, where else were you planning on going to? I'm almost leaning more towards a stay in north OC or Pasadena/Glendale/Burbank areas instead of in the SGV or metro LA areas.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:21 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,011,729 times
Don't do it, you would need to be off the highways (M-F) from 6-9am and 2-6pm or risk some moderate to bad traffic. Even with no traffic the hour each way going back and forth will get old fast. I lived in the Sheraton in Ontario for a month when I moved out here and there is seriously nothing to do other than go to the mall. In addition to being much closer to the daytime activities the restaurant selection is way better in LA and Orange County. I suggest branching out and trying to find a cheaper hotels in LA or OC.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Hi. Me and my sister are planning a trip to California soon. I was wondering what you thought would be best. We wanted to see LA but we don't want all the traffic and stress of it. So I did some research and suggested we come through Ontario Int Airport and just stay at a hotel nearby. It's quiet, it's less stress and traffic than LA and it looks really nice. Almost reminiscent of a city of my native Palm Beach County. So I am thinking we could just drive to LA anytime to see what we want in the morning and afternoon and come back to Ontario at night. But it won't be everyday. More like every other day. I was thinking on the days we spend in Ontario, we could visit different malls and entertainment centers in Ontario or visit Rancho Cucamonga and see the sights. My question is what exactly is there to do in the Inland Empire and do you think this is a good idea at all?

We wanted to stay in Ontario because we feel LAX will be a huge hassle to come in from and hotels in LA are very pricey and it's so big we're not sure if the hotel we want is in a good location. The hotel we want in Ontario, we already have a major discount of because of previous stays at the companies sister hotels and it's next to a small and stress-free airport we can fly into to. And it saves us a ton of money.

Not to mention we might visit my family in Phoenix. We'd be closer and only have to take I-10 to Phoenix.
you will not escape the L.A. traffic by staying in Ontario. It is a long way from Los Angeles. Of course if you plan on just doing the city think from maybe 10am to about 3pm, it would be better. I would consider spending a few days in Los Angeles and then maybe a few days in Ontario if there is any sight seeing you are planning on doing in the Ontario area.

You may also want to look at Burbank Airport. It is smaller, easy to get in and out of and much closer to Los Angeles.

If you decide to stay at LAX, there are hotels that are not all that expensive. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. They have a shuttle from the airport (but you will have a rental car) they do serve a decent morning breakfast, not great but decent and are very friendly. The rooms are nice. I hint we paid around $100 a night.

Nita

Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
I guess...but we couldn't just go to LA in the morning and come back at night? LA hotels are expensive! And for two weeks stay we won't have enough money to stay. We need spending money. We're only going to have about $2,000 with us. The $1,000 already takes up the plane tickets, rental car, and hotel. The most expensive thing we plan to do with the remaining money is go to an amusement park or the Arclight theaters and fancy schmancy restaurants.
So am I understanding this, you will only have about $1000 between you or are you talking $1000 each. You are going to have a lot of trouble trying to live for 2 weeks on $500 each even after you subtract for hotel, etc.

Nita

Old 08-08-2010, 08:58 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,422,949 times
There's also John Wayne Airport in Orange County ... or Long Beach.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,461,373 times
Hello, fellow traveler.

I recommend visiting Priceline; try bidding on some hotels closer to downtown Los Angeles or in one of the adjacent suburban areas like Pasadena. Pasadena has a lot of interesting places to visit and it is within a "short" driving distance from downtown LA - unlike the Inland Empire. Going back and forth from the IE to LA will be a hassle (especially in traffic) and hardly an ideal way to spend 2 or 3 hours per day of your vacation.

Consider mass transit - since downtown LA and downtown Pasadena are linked by the Metro Gold Line you can save big money by not having to pay for a) the rental car, b) gas, and c) parking. Keep in mind that the hotel will sometimes charge for parking, too. The savings on those three items can pay for a better hotel, food, entertainment, stuff, etc. Hollywood and Long Beach can be reached via the Metro Red Line and Blue Line, respectively (connect at Union Station).

Renting the car is something you've stated you need to do for a visit to Phoenix. I suggest renting the car a few days before you head out to Phoenix. I would arrange your schedule so that you don't rent a car on the days you'll only need to use mass transit or walking. You can visit the outlying areas around LA while you have the car. So the beach, the mountains, etc., while otherwise beyond convenient walking or transit distance, easily can be seen with the car.

Another thing you could consider is arriving in Ontario but then departing from Phoenix. That way you don't have to drive all the way back. There will be an extra cost incurred because the rental car would be picked up in the LA metro area and left in Phoenix. Or you could reverse it by arriving in Phoenix and departing from Ontario. Worth considering as the drive between Ontario and Phoenix is about 4-5 hours one way. However, this really only works if you plan to visit your family in Phoenix at the beginning or end of your 2-week vacation.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by MIKEETC; 08-08-2010 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties