Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 AM

145 posts, read 209,602 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, yes I have read the other threads, but some seem old and outdated.

I was just offered a position in Perris, CA. Currently I am a contractor in Washington, DC. I rent and it is expensive here. I live IN DC (not in one of the suburbs that likes to say they are DC).

I do not like Crate and Barrel or Starbucks. I don't go to malls. I cannot stand strip malls. I prefer small downtowns with locally owned independent businesses.

Additionally I don't like cookie-cutter everything's the same suburban tract housing. I don't want a gated community, I don't want a home owner's association that will tell me I can't work on a truck in my driveway, or paint my front door red.

I would rent for a year or two, and then try to purchase a home, so for the initial year I would like to live IN Perris because I do not like to commute.

When I do commute I commute on a vintage motorcycle.

I have read the crime reports and realize there are gangs. I am a mid-30s white guy and former military. I'm not afraid of gangs, but i also don't want gang signs thrown at me from across the street or have dudes who get their boners by trying to stare people down.

I am more comfortable having a couple of beers with the old black guys in my alley here in DC than I am sitting on a patio in front of a wine bar talking about the View or Top Chef or whatever douche is popular on the front of People Magazine.

But I also am neat, clean, take care of my yard and so on.

My pay would be reduced from about 90K to mid 50K. Don't try to preach - I can't stand DC. $400,000 would get me a 2 bedroom row house with no garage, no yard and I'd have to put $150,000 into it to bring it up to liveable standard. Or it would get me a 400sf studio condo in a sterile crappy building.

I want a house, with a yard and a garage to rent. When I buy I'd like an acre or two with the same thing. I keep to myself, I like old motorcycles, cars, trucks, and looking forward to some vintage moto-X riding in the Inland Empire.

No, I'm not a bro, or brah, or whatever the name is for the typical jacked up truck motorcross rider.

So can anyone recommend a decent area of Perris to rent? Looking at spending no more than $1000 on rent. I have no idea of the different neighborhoods but have been trying to find things on Craigslist. I keep reading about how the houses are foreclosed and empty and there's places, but everything on CL seems expensive and run by a broker. Are there any independent owners who rent? I have impeccable references (I sunk about $1000 into the back yard of my current rental in DC because I didn't want to live in dirt - it now has a manicured lawn, a garden, a compost bin, and a brick patio. Yeah, people say 'why improve someone else's property?" Because I like my places to be neat and in the end it's just money.

So...all this in mind - any recommendations? I have to give them an answer on the job by Monday.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 08:42 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
You should have no problem, based on what you say your comfortable with.

There are several small towns around Perris also, within very very short commutes, that you can plug into Craig's List -- Nuevo/Lakeview, Romoland, Homeland, Winchester to name a few. You could also try plugging in March Air Force Base or March Air Reserve.

But there is a lot of dirt around - water is costly. Investigate native plants when you get ready to landscape Find a place with trees on the west side of the home to cut the afternoon sun, LOL. *Most* places in the area have garages, some even have barns ...

Starwest Motocross Park is in Perris also, right next to the fairgrounds.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
But there is a lot of dirt around - water is costly.
That is a good point and something I should have mentioned - what are the utility bills on average? I don't keep my house at 68 year round. I'm from a very high humidity area but still a window unit and a fan serve pretty well. Since I rent I have not had to pay water, and for some reason my gas has been stuck at $7.95 per month for 2 years (sooo lucky since our radiator heat runs on gas and we had a brutal winter with 54" of snow this year), but electricity runs from $75 in winter to $250 in summer per month.

So average water, electricity and other bills that CA may try and stick me for? I assume the state taxes are similar to DC (DC is very high).

I am pretty conservative in my utilities useage and of course wouldn't try to put in a manicured golf course lawn in the desert, but a garden would be nice.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:01 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Utilities are the hardest to figure, since it all depends on the size, age, and insulation of the house. Some towns tax utilities - including phone and cable. Some of the older homes don't have AC - they have swamp coolers, which cost about 1/3 to run. You really don't have to worry about humidity, except for about 2-3 weeks out of the year.

If no one is home during the day Monday-Friday, ask Edison to put you on the 'TOU' (Time of Use) rate - power very very expensive M-F from 10AM to 6PM, 1/3 the cost the rest of the time. Saves bundles.

Most houses are heated with gas, but you don't use much! Nine to ten months out of the year, you'll pay the minimum usage fee.

Water is different from town to town ... different suppliers. A minimum usage bill would probably be around $25.

My bills (approximate - without looking, don't want to open up Quicken )
Edison, $35 in winter, $120 in a normal summer. This summer has been very cool. I like my bills this year
SCGas, $70 when it's cold, $10 the other months
Water, $25 in winter, $75 in summer
Trash, $65 every 3 months
1980's house, 2100 sf, but I keep unused rooms closed off from heat and AC. Well-insulated, double-paned windows, trees on the west side. I'm not in a town, I'm in the county. Oh yeah - property taxes are usually cheaper if you're not inside city limits.

For vegetable and fruit gardening, many people here use raised garden beds - they build boxes 4 foot by 8 foot by 1 foot deep. Some people have their backyards covered with boxes Corn and grape vines aren't boxed though. Citrus trees do beautifully here, but like regular deep watering. Lavender and Rosemary you can stick in the ground and forget about - they grow into huge bushes with minimal water - the hummingbirds and butterflies flock to your yard.

Edit - here's the California state tax website.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the information.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:53 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Look out in the Cajalco Road area West of the 215, especially in the vicinity of Barnes Ave, Old Elsinore Road, Orange Ave. Lots of properties that match your needs.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,575 times
Perris..ugh..no preaching here...

Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 PM

216 posts, read 698,116 times
perris from washington dc...wow , what a culture shock. first off, breathe....it'll all be okay....california has its own heartbeat.....slow.....then, enjoy.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:05 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
The OP almost described himself as the perfect Perrisian. No offense meant, I think you'll like it.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,046 times
You are very lucky... I have been trying to leave DC. But is so hard to get a job somewhere else now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties