Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:59 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times

Advertisements

Fred aka Middleoftheroad.....if I where to move back to that area and was retired I would consider Hesperia (Mesa Area) or Oak Hills for my place of choice. With that said no where is perfect. And these days people are in it for themselves adn don't care about community. My parents lived in Phelan for 30 something years and when we moved they moved. They knew retirement was knocking on the door and they wanted to be closer to amenities, such as shopping, doctors, hospitals things they use more in the wonder years.

I look at my retire time as this, I don't want to be in the boones, but I don't want to be in the thick of things either. Oak Hills offers that feel (FOR ME) IF I were to move there.

Why the High Desert? Is it for the price? I have friends in the HD dieing to move to Washington and Oregon...but are stuck due to the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post

Why the High Desert? Is it for the price? I have friends in the HD dieing to move to Washington and Oregon...but are stuck due to the economy.
I'll bet change of scenery has something to do with it. Even the vaunted PNW gets old if you've been there long enough.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'll bet change of scenery has something to do with it. Even the vaunted PNW gets old if you've been there long enough.
Very true

Old 10-22-2010, 10:42 AM

174 posts, read 430,683 times
Default price is a factor....but not the most important

Quote:
Fred aka Middleoftheroad.....if I where to move back to that area and was retired I would consider Hesperia (Mesa Area) or Oak Hills for my place of choice. With that said no where is perfect. And these days people are in it for themselves adn don't care about community. My parents lived in Phelan for 30 something years and when we moved they moved. They knew retirement was knocking on the door and they wanted to be closer to amenities, such as shopping, doctors, hospitals things they use more in the wonder years.

I look at my retire time as this, I don't want to be in the boones, but I don't want to be in the thick of things either. Oak Hills offers that feel (FOR ME) IF I were to move there.

I just returned from the HD in OR (Redmond) and it is also a place that deserves a look. The ONLY two things that are (probably temporary) obstacles are the winter temps, and the distance from everyone we know.

Issue # 1-the weather in winter: I have lived in places where it is colder, but I wonder about the 'climate changes' that are occurring. It seems to me that its not all about warming, but about geographic extremes. That is, if you are in a place that is usually reasonable in the summer, and cold(ish) in the winter, I think that the patterns have made for a colder winter with the 'new climates' that are now prevailing. A lot of folks live where its wet, lots of rain, and high humidity. I think that it looks like the rainfall has increased as of late. You get my drift? I think whatever your up-till now weather patterns have been, they will remain the same in pattern, with increased extremes. Usually a lot of rain will = MORE rain. LOTS more. And in the desert communities, WAY MORE HEAT than is usual. S-o-o-o, with that being my guess, I want to look at places that might be a closer to a moderate on both ends, and if I'm right, and extremes to begin to show, it won't TOO hot, or TOO rainy, etc. I think its possible to use this formula in areas. For example-Redmond, I think will have a colder winter this year than they have seen in a long time. I think that next summer, Phoenix will be a lot hotter than it has been, etc. So, looking at places like Eagle Point, or Shady Cove, OR seems reasonable. Even if either goes to some sort of 'extreme' it will still be enjoyable, compared to more radical weather locations.

Issue #2-moving 'away'... Easier to deal with. Our pals will remain so, but an annual trip might be in order, either from us, or from them, to get together. Meeting new folks is do-able. Or is a lot more stand-offish than a lot of areas, but that can be beneficial to both sides. If you make friends in OR, they will probably be people you would WANT to be pals with, in a less general and more specific way. AND, we are retirement age, and not looking to go out and party like 'in the day!' ...So, meeting a few folks will be nice, and also adequate. We enjoy each others company, and as Karma, or the allignment of the stars, or my wifes Blue Ribbon pie baking will allow, we will welcome some new acquaintances into our lives.

Enough! But hopefully you get the idea. I have looked pretty hard at Central Or, a few High Desert spots in So Cal, and a few in AZ and New Mexico as well. We are still watching home prices descend in some areas, so a little more waiting while we decide hasn't hurt us yet-its sad to watch others investment heading south, but as a buyer not really interest in selling once we move, it is an attractive position to be in.

Thanks for your input. I hope you can decipher this long-winded mumbo-jumbo. (I know what I mean.....duh....I think! !

Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 AM

174 posts, read 430,683 times
Default oh YEAH....BTW

Quote:

The places we are looking at in OR ARE the HD. But the difference in climate between, say, Rio Rancho, or Surprise, and Redmond or Shady Cove are pretty drastic, given that they are both considered HD. Weather looks nice in Rio Rancho, but the elevation might be too good if you have lung problems, or other ailments, due to the town being a "Mile High.""

So a lot of consideration is going into the place we will finally decide on. And, it seems that like it or not, time will influence our decision. As things change, so does the desire/acceptability of locations.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleoftheroad View Post
I just returned from the HD in OR (Redmond) and it is also a place that deserves a look. The ONLY two things that are (probably temporary) obstacles are the winter temps, and the distance from everyone we know.

Issue # 1-the weather in winter: I have lived in places where it is colder, but I wonder about the 'climate changes' that are occurring. It seems to me that its not all about warming, but about geographic extremes. That is, if you are in a place that is usually reasonable in the summer, and cold(ish) in the winter, I think that the patterns have made for a colder winter with the 'new climates' that are now prevailing. A lot of folks live where its wet, lots of rain, and high humidity. I think that it looks like the rainfall has increased as of late. You get my drift? I think whatever your up-till now weather patterns have been, they will remain the same in pattern, with increased extremes. Usually a lot of rain will = MORE rain. LOTS more. And in the desert communities, WAY MORE HEAT than is usual. S-o-o-o, with that being my guess, I want to look at places that might be a closer to a moderate on both ends, and if I'm right, and extremes to begin to show, it won't TOO hot, or TOO rainy, etc. I think its possible to use this formula in areas. For example-Redmond, I think will have a colder winter this year than they have seen in a long time. I think that next summer, Phoenix will be a lot hotter than it has been, etc. So, looking at places like Eagle Point, or Shady Cove, OR seems reasonable. Even if either goes to some sort of 'extreme' it will still be enjoyable, compared to more radical weather locations.

Issue #2-moving 'away'... Easier to deal with. Our pals will remain so, but an annual trip might be in order, either from us, or from them, to get together. Meeting new folks is do-able. Or is a lot more stand-offish than a lot of areas, but that can be beneficial to both sides. If you make friends in OR, they will probably be people you would WANT to be pals with, in a less general and more specific way. AND, we are retirement age, and not looking to go out and party like 'in the day!' ...So, meeting a few folks will be nice, and also adequate. We enjoy each others company, and as Karma, or the allignment of the stars, or my wifes Blue Ribbon pie baking will allow, we will welcome some new acquaintances into our lives.

Enough! But hopefully you get the idea. I have looked pretty hard at Central Or, a few High Desert spots in So Cal, and a few in AZ and New Mexico as well. We are still watching home prices descend in some areas, so a little more waiting while we decide hasn't hurt us yet-its sad to watch others investment heading south, but as a buyer not really interest in selling once we move, it is an attractive position to be in.

Thanks for your input. I hope you can decipher this long-winded mumbo-jumbo. (I know what I mean.....duh....I think! !
I get your drift..., stick to finding that perfect spot....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties