U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:31 PM

38 posts, read 97,972 times

Advertisements

My parents lived in Palm Desert for about 12 years and loved it. They had a cute little 2 bd/2 ba house in the Del Web off of Washington. Their neighbors were great and there was lots to do. There are quite a few Canadian snowbirds out there. My parents had a golf cart that they could drive to the store in the shopping center just outside the gate. My sister and I sold the property when my parents passed away. Ironically my husband and I have made numerous trips back out to the desert RVing and my daughter got a job teaching out there and now lives in Palm Springs. Where they lived in Palm Desert it seemed quite safe. Palm Springs is a little iffier but not nearly as bad as the Los Angeles area where we live. Fortunately the general area where we reside is great but every city has it's bad parts. My daughter and I spent a lot of time checking out the her area before she found the right place for her. So far so good except for " Where is the 20 something crowd out there?" As a retiree you won't have to search high and low for people of a certain age in the desert.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 14,757 times
My husband and I have been to PD a couple of times and we are planning on buying a condo down there in the next year or so ourselves. PD is fine, other area's like Indio and Coachella I would stay away from, I don't care if they have a few new neighbourhoods (CDN spelling) and I heard Desert Hot Springs ain't so great either. The long winded post sounded like someone who has had a bad experience, you can have a bad experience anywhere. We have many friends who own condo's in Palm Desert and have never had any problems.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:59 PM

595 posts, read 1,139,242 times
Default Consider Hemet?

Hemet has lots of snowbirds. More crime than is totally desirable but many more nice people than not.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:10 PM

292 posts, read 640,287 times
I like Palm Desert the best. If I were you I would check out a place called "Palm Valley Country Club". Let me know if you have any more questions. I live in Seattle but I have spent lots of time in Palm Desert and Palm Springs. There are lots of great places down there to buy right now.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:31 PM

15,607 posts, read 38,740,487 times
Just don't try to install solar panels on your roof at PVCC. There is currently pending litigation because the HOA won't allow individual homeowners to install solar for the purpose of saving money and energy. You will be paying full Edison prices at PVCC.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,235,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
But other than that ...... it's a really nice place!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM

247 posts, read 482,410 times
How many Quebecois are living in Palm Springs?

Old 01-08-2013, 12:31 PM

3,036 posts, read 4,296,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
Not very many. They all go to Florida.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM

319 posts, read 1,321,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
My Mom was Quebecois but she moved to California in the 1950s. Los Angeles then Hemet in the late
1970s-2008. She never met another Quebecker but met some Canadians. One woman from France but
she didn't stay. Her Husband, American, bought in Hemet instead of Palm Springs because it wasn't as
hot. Plus I would guess it was closer to Los Angeles where he had business.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 AM

27 posts, read 71,204 times
The man from Alberta sounds nuts to me and good riddens to him in Oregon which is "Shangrila" to him. To each his own. I don't know why there are so many Oregonian's living 6 months in the Coachella Valley - they must see something nice here. Yes, 400,000 people does not make a small town, but it is a conglomeration of over 10 cities both incorporated and unincorporated sprawled out over a very large valley that goes from small town suburban to rural agricultural. And yes there are fire ants, crickets and rats, but there are birds and bees and butterflies, and star fillled skies, carpets of wildflowers, more golf courses than anywhere else in the world and beautiful snow capped mountains in the wintertime. I have lived part time and full time in Palm Desert and Indian Wells for the past 21 years and I find it to be quite a lovely area. Wherever I go, the merchants, supermarket checkers, and restaurant servers all address me by name, so to me it feels as though your living in a small town. Palm Desert's population, I believe is around 55,000, so it is the size of a mid size suburb. I think, if you look around Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, Indian Wells or La Quinta, you should be able to find something to your liking, housing-wise. Check the crime stats, yes there are gangs, but they are not living in these areas, and are not rampant through the valley, as the transplanted Albertan stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties