Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 12:19 AM

3 posts, read 9,923 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in Fort Irwin and I want to keep my commute short, so I am looking to live in Barstow. I have read some disturbing things about Barstow but I have also read that there are some safer parts. Which areas/streets are the safest in Barstow. I have a decent car that i will be parking on the street, please keep that in mind when making recommendations.

please give me street intersections, so I can look up on Google maps.

Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 9,923 times
anyone?

Old 09-13-2010, 01:34 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
I've only driven through a number of times. Some the residential areas look well kept.
There's a competing website that gives good data for US cities. You can find it with google looking for your 'city' and its 'ratings' for 'crime'.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 PM

286 posts, read 678,158 times
Make your own safety, sad but true. A companion dog, a rifle for the home and God bless America.
Buy your own home, rather than rent.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
If you're in the military, then you should live on base. Its a 35-40 minute drive from Barstow out to Irwin.

If its a civilian job, and you are single, then I guess Barstow is the best option. If civilian and you have kids though, just live in Apple Valley and take the bus that goes out to Irwin.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:25 PM

86 posts, read 259,972 times
I lived in Barstow in the 90's and agian when we were at Ft. Irwin two years ago. The best place to live is up in the houses above Rimrock road, east of Barstow Road. They call this area College Heights or Silvarado Heights. Look for the neighborhood that has streets like Garnet, Amethyst, Cameo, Canavan. This is the neighborhood that most of the city cops live in. We never had any issues with car breakins or house breakins while away on vacation.

We ended up buying a house 15 minutes away from Barstow in Silver Lakes. If you have school age kids, the extra 15 minute commute is worth the tradeoff as far as the quality of schools and life in general. My husband would drive into Barstow and catch a bus to Ft. Irwin each morning. That way he was able to read the paper and visit his football message boards on the way to work, making the 40 mile commute to Ft. Irwin, from Barstow, a lot nicer.

If you are looking for an apartment, there are gated communities. I know there is one gated complex on Virginia Ave and a few on RimRock...down closer to the Walmart. We did know a guy that lived in a nongated apartment on Yucca and he never had any issues with his car. Avoid the apartments on Barstow Road and the corner of Rimrock.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I think you mean west of Barstow Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties