Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 7,088 times

Advertisements

In 2 or 3 years I am going to be semi-retired and have been wanting to move into the Mojave Desert. Joshua Tree was my first choice but having only been camping in the area I am not sure about living there. I have been camping there quite a bit over the years but I have never really looked into what permanent living would be like.

Any opinions ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
A friend lives in 29 Palms just outside of J.T. He loves it there. It is a friendly small town. It seems like he knows everyone in town as well as some of the little towns nearby. He cannto possibly know everyone, but it is certianly a close knit community. Most people have some sort of relationship to the military. It gets really really hot there.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 11,672 times
The worst thing about Joshua Tree is the WATER DISTRICT, THEY CHARGE UNGODLY FEES and could care less about their customers.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
The Mojave Desert covers quite a wide area. What are you criteria, or at least your preferences? What's a good idea for one may not be for another. What did you like about the JT area? You want accessibility to larger metro areas? Have you been there in different seasons? Is cost of living a factor? Would you rather not be in other parts of the desert, such as the town of Mojave, Pearblossom, etc.? I've only driven through JT. A friend of my father's live there for years and liked it. I think it would be isolated for me, but it might be perfect for you. I imagine you'd have decent access to hospitals and shopping, given the number of people (including retirees)in the JT/Palm Desert area, and, just a bit further away, Palm Springs, Palm Desert, etc.

I hope you'll go for an extended visit or go there in at least two different seasons.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 PM

74 posts, read 242,912 times
So beautiful there, except its a little cold in the winter...

Old 05-28-2013, 05:32 AM

9 posts, read 26,451 times
I have lived in Joshua Tree for 16 years. Here are the pluses and minuses. It takes awhile to get used to the climate (HOT in summer, COLD in winter). Everyone knows the desert is hot in summer, but some people are surprised by the cold winters. It snows a little, but the snow usually does not stay on the ground. People are very friendly here and real estate is really cheap. Utilities are NOT cheap here, and cable or satellite is pretty much a necessity. There aren't a lot of restaurants, and the only decent stores are Walmart and Home Depot. We have very little smog, as opposed to the low desert (Palm Springs area, which is also a lot hotter in summer). Be aware we are 33 miles from the freeway (10), making it a long trip to anywhere. We are 50 miles from downtown Palm Springs, 3-1/2 hours to Las Vegas, and about 2 hours to the Colorado River. Nice things we DO have: lots of wildlife, open space, stars at night, beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Bad things we DO NOT have here: fleas, mosquitos, cockroaches. But we DO have plenty of snakes, poisonous as well as harmless, and also scorpions.

Last edited by bornagain57; 05-28-2013 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: minor corrections

Old 06-04-2013, 12:42 PM

20 posts, read 42,656 times
Thank you that is very helpful! We can't wait to move out there!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:27 PM

59 posts, read 218,014 times
Let me ask you first, if you don't mind, why you'd want to live in the desert?

Old 06-06-2013, 04:14 AM

20 posts, read 42,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonely_boy View Post
Let me ask you first, if you don't mind, why you'd want to live in the desert?
I used to live in California, and I really enjoyed the low desert by Borrego Springs, so I want to move back but to Joshua Tree.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 AM

59 posts, read 218,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmowwow View Post
I used to live in California, and I really enjoyed the low desert by Borrego Springs, so I want to move back but to Joshua Tree.
I think Joshua Tree is in the High Desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties