Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 12:56 PM

165 posts, read 150,669 times

Advertisements

I'm seeking some general opinions about Riverside - what it's like to live there, cost of living (I'm a renter), traffic, weather, things to do, etc. I'd like to get a general 'feel' of the area; for example, does it have a generally friendly or unfriendly 'vibe'; what are some of the neighborhoods/areas like, which parts of town should try to be avoided if possible, etc.

To give some background info, I work in public education as a school counselor, which I've done since 2000. Now I'm looking for work outside of L.A. and am considering Riverside. However, I know next to nothing about the area. I went on a high school field trip to UC Riverside a few years back, but all I remember is the bus trip and walking around the college campus. We didn't go anywhere else.

I grew up in Santa Barbara and moved to the Los Angeles area in 1997. I've lived all over L.A., from the San Fernando Valley to the westside to the South Bay, where I live now, but haven't done any exploring in the IE. In the past 20 years, I've seen the cost of living rise exponentially in L.A., as well as traffic and overcrowding. I've grown tired of those things and am looking for a more affordable place to live, perhaps less overcrowded and less traffic. I'm also looking for a new work experience, which is why I'm looking outside of L.A.

I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of what I consider 'extreme heat' (95 to over 100 degree temps) for long portions of the year. That's why I was happy to leave the Valley. Based on my research of Riverside and the IE, I understand 'extreme heat' is the usual, so I'd have to learn to deal with it again if I moved to the area. I managed it in the Valley with the help of constant A/C.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to reading your opinions and advice about Riverside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 01:35 PM

I thought I might add some more background info to help get a clearer picture of what I'm about. I'm in my 40s, single, no kids, a renter as I wrote above, and not uncomfortable living and working in lower socio-economic areas. I don't necessarily like living in that environment, but I will if necessary to find the amenities I'm looking for as a renter. That's why I'm living in a lower socio-economic neighborhood in the South Bay right now. For what I'm willing to pay for rent (no higher than $900/mo if possible), I've been priced out of the 'nicer' neighborhoods in my area, but I've been renting a comfortable duplex in a working class, mostly Latino neighborhood with parking and other amenities for less than $900/mo. I'd like to find the same kind of living situation and amenities in a 'nicer' neighborhood, but that's not possible in L.A. any more in my price range. Maybe it is in Riverside?

I live mostly a quiet lifestyle. When I'm not at work, I enjoy being at home, reading, surfing the web, watching tv. I enjoy going to the movies on the weekend; discovering new places to eat (brunch, lunch, dinner); periodically visiting historical or art museums or art events. Every once in a while, I'll revert back to my 20s club-going self and go out for drinks and dancing at '80s/dark '80s/goth nights. I'm also an indie music snob and periodically go out to see my favorite bands play live if it doesn't conflict with my work schedule. I don't go out nearly as much as I did in my 20s and 30s, though, and I'm ok with that.

Hopefully that gives a better idea of who I am and what I'm about. Thanks again for reading.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:38 PM

No replies to my post?? This makes me sad. I was really hoping to get some opinions.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
Riverside is a mixed bag, some great places and some not so great. Overall, it's not a bad place though it gets hot.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:35 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,703,724 times
"Less overcrowded and less traffic" is relative. It might be less than Los Angeles, but it is still bad. Most of the developed parts of the Inland Empire isn't the country or rural. Less than $900 a month is on the lower end for rent in Riverside as well if you are looking for a 1 bedroom without a roommate. You will find most of the apartments for less than $900 are older buildings clustered around UC Riverside as off campus student housing.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the responses. I don't mind living in an older building. I currently live in a duplex built in 1923 in a lower socio-economic neighborhood. It's not my ideal neighborhood, but my living space has the amount of space and amenities I want, so I'm willing to deal with other things that are less desirable.

The heat is the one thing I think I'd tire of very quickly in Riverside. As I wrote above, I lived in the San Fernando Valley for over 8 years and dealt with 100 degree heat and above (103-105) every summer, and temps in the 90-100 degree range in late spring and early fall. I'm used to it, but can't say I enjoy it. I tolerated it in the SFV with the help of A/C. I'm sure I could manage that again for a few years, but not sure if I'd be able to tolerate it for the long haul.

If I find work in Riverside and end up moving there, it would most likely be a 'way station' for me for a few years while I seek work in other parts of CA or other states. ...Unless, of course, I find myself creating a comfortable lifestyle there with most of the things I'm looking for and find a measure of success in my career area. I didn't expect to stay in Los Angeles for 20 years, but here I am, still in L.A. You never know where life will take you, so I try to keep my options open.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:32 PM

11 posts, read 12,386 times
There are some older homes with detached guest houses/casitas in Riverside that you could rent in that price range. Probably a better bet than the seedier 1 bedroom apartments you'd be looking at for under $900.

SFV a pretty good comparison for the weather. It's not really the extremes - in my experience it doesn't get as hot in Riverside as it does in Perris or Hemet - but the duration of the summer. 6 straight months of 85-100 wears on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties