U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 PM

16,800 posts, read 37,011,261 times

Advertisements

No not me, my sister. She, unlike her brother, still lives in South OC. She wanted to hit the local WinCo when she was here last week (there are no WinCo stores in OC). We went to lunch at a local diner, then spent more than an hour in the Fontana WinCo. This is her observation:

"Wow, people out here sure are friendly. The places I shop, nobody talks to anyone or looks at anybody. They're all stuck up."

This is after being engaged in friendly, casually random conversation by two people at the diner and four people at the market. Customers, not staff.

I agree with her observation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 PM

7,374 posts, read 14,779,268 times
Well, from another coastal mouse, the times that I go inland, I find people much more engaging and friendly. These days, it's to Gold Country towns. I just like getting away to those places every once in a while.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:44 AM

15,607 posts, read 38,949,499 times
I'm overdue for a trip to WinCo! I NEED MY WINCO FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:22 AM

3,114 posts, read 7,932,956 times
Okay, so just out of curiosity, what is the draw at WinCo? I've seen them, and know they sell food, and know they're a chain that started in the South, but I don't know what makes them special?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:18 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,403,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Okay, so just out of curiosity, what is the draw at WinCo? I've seen them, and know they sell food, and know they're a chain that started in the South, but I don't know what makes them special?
Actually, they started up North. They're based in Idaho.

The draw? Low prices and it's a big store. How big? Think Home Depot sized. Indeed, the one in Pomona used to be a Home Base (ex. Home Club).

Low prices ... they're not afraid of having a Walmart Supercenter nearby as a competitor.

The biggest draw for me is being able to buy only the ingredients you need (from the bulk bins). Why buy 5 lbs. of flour when you only need 1? I want a 10 bean soup, but don't want to buy 10 pounds of beans. Seasoning at a few bucks for a pound is way cheaper than seasoning at a few bucks for a couple ounces.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:14 PM

2,130 posts, read 4,588,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Actually, they started up North. They're based in Idaho.

The draw? Low prices and it's a big store. How big? Think Home Depot sized. Indeed, the one in Pomona used to be a Home Base (ex. Home Club).

Low prices ... they're not afraid of having a Walmart Supercenter nearby as a competitor.

The biggest draw for me is being able to buy only the ingredients you need (from the bulk bins). Why buy 5 lbs. of flour when you only need 1? I want a 10 bean soup, but don't want to buy 10 pounds of beans. Seasoning at a few bucks for a pound is way cheaper than seasoning at a few bucks for a couple ounces.
There must be a lot of waste in that department. If customers change their mind at the last second, the bulk items have to go in the trash (was that flour or creamer?). Also, you have kids that play around and stick their dirty hands in the food.

It's a great idea, but I think that section should be behind a counter, like most service delis. An employee would measure, package the merchandise and collect payment.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I think that section should be behind a counter, like most service delis. An employee would measure, package the merchandise and collect payment.
That's not necessary if the stuff is dispensed from sealed containers, much like the coffee beans are at Winco. Hold your bag under the spout and open the dispenser. I don't buy anything from the "reach in and dip" barrels. I don't trust my fellow shoppers enough.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:17 PM

38 posts, read 98,878 times
Worked in a grocery store in my youth. You don't want to know about those bins or even the service bakery or deli I've never worked in a restaurant but I'm afraid of those too!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:33 PM

15,084 posts, read 19,235,230 times
I don't like the WinCo near my house because they don't stock Dove Bars.

[automatic 'F' from me ]

Old 04-08-2011, 09:20 PM

But they DO stock Tillamook and Umpqua brands ice cream, so that's an automatic A++++
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties