Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 11:32 AM

1,354 posts, read 1,895,822 times

Advertisements

I am looking at two houses with similar neighborhood appearance, but each is in a different county. Both cost about the same. But should I live in Riverside County or San Bernardino County? Which one has a better government, better mayor, fairer taxes, and county planning?

Is Riverside safer or San Bernardino safer? The city itself only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 04:14 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,863,526 times
Riverside is a better run county than San Bernardino. San Bernardino probably has more crime (bigger county), but property taxes in Riverside are slightly higher than in San Bernardino.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:30 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,330,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Riverside is a better run county than San Bernardino. San Bernardino probably has more crime (bigger county), but property taxes in Riverside are slightly higher than in San Bernardino.
I think it depends on what city you land in, when it comes to taxes. When I moved from a smallish house in the City of San Bernardino to a largish house on some land in an unincorporated area of Riverside county - my property taxes dropped like a lead balloon, over 40%

Some cities (in both counties) have taxes added on to utilities also.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:32 PM

93 posts, read 277,405 times
Actually Riverside County is slightly larger in population than San Bernardino County. When it comes to crime in each of the cities (not counties), Riverside has a lower crime rate than San Bernardino - violent crime rate of 6 and 8 respectively, and property crime rate of 5 and 7 respectively.

With that said, like any large cities or urban areas there are good and bad parts. You can find both in either area.

I live in Riverside and like our mayor and city council, couldn't tell you much about county level government. Tax-wise you'd have to dig into all that. I know both counties have local transportation sales taxes, but not sure on the exact level of those. Couldn't tell you on property taxes. I'm in my first house I've ever owned so I'm new to that whole gig.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:40 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,336,396 times
There are very nice parts of San Bernardino County - and very nice parts of Riverside County - so while I'd say that overall Riverside is better in most ways, it really depends on which area the houses are in? If you're comparing Redlands in San Bernardino County to Perris in Riverside County - then the advantage definitely goes to San Bernardino County. But if you're talking Temecula or Palm Springs in Riverside County, versus downtown San Bernardino, then Riverside County would win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Is Riverside safer or San Bernardino safer? The city itself only.
If you're comparing the two cities, then Riverside is definitely safer - and nicer.

The city of San Bernardino has some areas up near CSUSB that are safe, and considered okay, but it's just basic suburbia with chain fast food places, and lots of housing developments - nothing very exciting. The downtown area has a few historic buildings, but it's a rough area.

The city of Riverside on the other hand is safer throughout the entire city, and it has a downtown area with some gorgeous historic buildings, including lots of museums, restaurants and bars, some fun shopping, a gorgeous courthouse, and the historic Mission Inn. And the surrounding neighborhoods are full of great old houses, and tree-lined streets - it's very pretty and safe. Then further out you can find newer homes, and standard suburban neighborhoods.

Overall the city of Riverside is much nicer than the city of San Bernardino - and it's been that way for over 100 years. Bottom line for me? I feel safe walking alone in downtown Riverside at night - and I don't in San Bernardino - the difference in the crime rate is real.

But if the houses you're looking at are not directly in the those two cities, then I'd suggest comparing the actual locations the houses are in, rather than just looking at the counties.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:31 PM

76 posts, read 398,110 times
I would say Riverside. I am just basing it on education services and it seems they offer much more.

I live in San Bernardino county and have for the last 15 years not impressed at all

Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 PM

13,823 posts, read 29,719,843 times
I'm a Riverside County native, but I like San Bernardino County more, but mostly because there's more snowy mountains, more interesting desert, and cities with more character imo.

City vs. city, Riverside wins hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties