Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 10:09 PM

5 posts, read 35,936 times

Advertisements

Corona seems to be a fast growing city with a lot of transplants from Orange County. I am wondering if anybody knows how the school system is like. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 10:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
California School Ratings - Search Results

Good place to start

edit: I just searched by "corona" but it also shows stuff in Corona Del Mar and Coronado. Maybe you can do a zip code search if you know some zips.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:52 AM

318 posts, read 727,199 times
We used to live in Norco. Our school system was Corona/Norco Unified School District. And yes, we were OC transplants from Fullerton. Our kids were in Elementary at the time and enjoyed it. Most Elementary schools are a year round school system. You have what is called a Track system. (A-B-C-D) Each track is determined which month you have off. I chose B, which had the month of November, March and July. You still have the main holidays off as well. No spring break. I enjoyed it being that my kids were younger. You basically are in school for 12 weeks, and then 4 off. They do offer a Traditional schedule school, Sept. to June, but if you don't live within the boundaries of the school - you will have to transport your child each day. As for Middle and High Schools, I beleive they are on the Traditional schedule and I can't advise anything on them.

I do have to say, while the 3 years I experienced Norco, we loved it. We have moved since so don't know how it has changed in 2 years. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:43 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
From Greatschools.com
API- Academic Performance Index, what CA schools are measured by to compare test scores and school performance from school to school. The ranking is on a scale from 200-1,000. The state has set a goal of 800 for all schools.
Corona High Scool- API of 709 and a 5/10 in state wide performance rankings. This is a middle of the run, average API score.

Buena Vista High School- API of 594 and a 4/10 in state wide performance rankings. This is not a good API score and based off that, this school should be avoided.

Centennial High School- API of 691 and a 5/10 in state wide performance rankings. Also not a stellar performance, about middle of the run.

Santiago High School- API of 725 and a 6/10 in state wide performance rankings. Above average score and isn't really that bad (though not excellent). If you move to Corona, you want to be in this school's attendance boundaries.

I mention only high schools because these are like the "flagship" of a school district. This is where you really separate the top performing students and schools from those that aren't. In elementary, most students are about equal, but once they get to high school you see huge difference in test scores between cities and neighborhoods. When looking at schools, know that they are a major reflection of an area and in California, especially, it reflects the economic and social factors of that community.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 AM

9 posts, read 124,032 times
Eisenhower Elementary near our house has an 898 API score.

The Western part of Corona (92882) is really nice and prices are now at the high 400's for a nice home. This part of Corona is close to the nice green hills of the Cleveland National Forest (not the brown hills common just a little further East). There's top-rated schools; new shopping and restaurants. Two Metrolink stations (connects to Santa Ana) and the 91/241 toll roads are all nearby.

Zillow.com is a good source of info. Can just do a search of Corona 92882. Our neighbor just lowered their price to $498,000 and it's a really well-kept 3 bdrm + office home with a 3 car garage. I think they are paying for closing costs as well.

Good Luck!

Steve

Old 08-14-2007, 10:58 AM

9 posts, read 124,032 times
Also, what matters most is that parents spend quality time with their children and give them the discipline and guidance that they need. Our oldest son goes to Santiago High School and has carried a 4.0 GPA since Freshman year. Santiago has a great Honors program and they do well at the various competitions they enter throughout the year - even winning a few. Children will associate with others that they share classes with and will also make the right choices when choosing friends if you, the parent, has done your job. I always think about that when I talk with our neighbors and friends about test scores and school ratings. Every school produces losers and winners - parents are crucial in what their child becomes.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve

Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,967 times
Corona Teachers highest paid in region.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:38 PM

630 posts, read 2,226,877 times
My oldest two sons graduated from Corona High ... I sent my youngest son to private High School. The School system in Corona is terrible, specifically the high schools. If I new then what I know now ... Would never have moved here and would have never subjected my sons to the Corona school system. Best of Luck !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties