Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:50 PM

8 posts, read 39,908 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to Yucca Valley. I've been looking for some wide open spaces (5 acres), peace and quiet, low crime, nice scenery, and nice climate. I recently came across Yucca Valley property listings and was pretty shocked by the low prices. Not really wanting 110 degree heat and saw YV had a higher elevation and cooler temps. (Lived in Phoenix for a few years).

I have been reading this forum and found a lot of good info, had no idea Desert Hot Springs had so much trouble. And looks like there is trouble here and there throughout the area. Don't like the idea of DHS being so close..

I'll be visiting CA in a month and plan to check out the area. Many areas I love in CA, love the central coast area (Pismo, Big Sur, etc), the Owens Valley, Yosemite, Death Valley and have passed through Palm Springs a little and liked it also, but a bit too hot in July. I like the desert, so to me that's nice scenery.

Central Coast is too expensive, and Owens Valley is almost too remote.
Yucca Valley looks OK and the pricing is great. However, I'm sure we would end up in Palm Springs and many of the surrounding areas from time to time, as there is not much in Yucca. How much of a factor is crime in the area? Seem like it is increasing yearly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 01:25 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Honestly, crime is a HUGE factor. It has increased in the CV significantly! Start reading our local paper every day and you'll see what I'm talking about, and get a sense for what areas to steer clear of.

The Desert Sun | Palm Springs news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Palm Springs, California | MyDesert.com

Old 05-15-2011, 12:45 PM

253 posts, read 1,130,923 times
Just so that you know, the San Andreas faultline runs directly through the Coachella.

Yucca Valley is better in that you are not sitting right on it as you would be in PS or Rancho Mar. 29 Palms has horrible quakes. I wouldn't want to live there.

btw, the San Andreas ends in the Salton Sea. Although imo, it goes on down into Mexico.

This is an interactive map and you can zoom in to various areas by clicking on the map.

San Andreas Fault Map - Zoom In on the Fault! - GEOLOGY.COM

Best!

~Cali-girl

Old 05-15-2011, 12:57 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
There are over 247 faults in California.
You can't get away from them.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:57 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
It doesn't really matter where you live - if you're on the fault, or near the fault. Fact is ... when an earthquake hits, you're going to feel it - if it's a sizeable quake. You can't live your life in fear. Just live!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:48 PM

8 posts, read 39,908 times
I am aware of the fault. I'm not too concerned about that, but did see that Yucca Valley had a lot of wildfires.
I have been checking the mydesert site, I saw a prior post of yours where it was mentioned. I do realize crime is a factor in the main valley, but don't see much crime happening in Yucca Valley or Joshua Tree, from what I can find. Is this a correct assessment?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 10,644 times
Default Yucca Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60cyclehum View Post
I am considering relocating to Yuc I've been looking for some wide open spaces (5 acres), peace and quiet, low crime, nice scenery, and nice climate. I recently came across Yucca Valley property listings and was pretty shocked by the low prices. Not really wanting 110 degree heat and saw YV had a higher elevation and cooler temps. (Lived in Phoenix for a few years).

I have been reading this forum and found a lot of good info, had no idea Desert Hot Springs had so much trouble. And looks like there is trouble here and there throughout the area. Don't like the idea of DHS being so close..

I'll be visiting CA in a month and plan to check out the area. Many areas I love in CA, love the central coast area (Pismo, Big Sur, etc), the Owens Valley, Yosemite, Death Valley and have passed through Palm Springs a little and liked it also, but a bit too hot in July. I like the desert, so to me that's nice scenery.

Yucca Valley looks OK and the pricing is great. However, I'm sure we would end up in Palm Springs and many of the surrounding areas from time to time, as there is not much in Yucca. How much of a factor is crime in the area? Seem like it is increasing yearly?
I thought YuccaValley was attractive for very much the same reasons you stated. I made the move to Yucca Valley in 2007 and bought a property with incredible views.
It was not long when the problems with the Yucca Valley Code Department started (we have been for 30 yrs in construction cross country and know how to build). Let me tell you the Code Dept. is extreemly oppresive and out of touch with what the average citizen can pay in permit fees. Since 2003 a barage of codes have been added to the alrady long list of codes.
This Thursday the city has approved to convert all septic sytems to be connected to a sewerplant which will be build in Yucca Valley. If a homeowner does not comply a $5,000.00 fine PER DAY will be charged against the none-complying homeowner.
This is big government in action. With this newest regulation they practically can put you out of your home, which will result in more forclosures, empty homes and loss of value.
The code department is out in force every day driving through Yucca Valleys neighbourhoods and checking on property activities.
I would not advice anyone to move to Yucca Valley nevermind the nice views and air.
You can go to the Yucca Valley site and get more info on this oppresive sewer conversion-the fines were revealed in the Hi Desert News paper last weekend.

Last edited by NewToCA; 05-24-2011 at 09:56 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM

11 posts, read 90,710 times
I've lived in Joshua Tree over 11 years now and love it. That said, the Morongo Basin isn't for everyone.

The Morongo Basin doesn't have many more wildfires than anyplace else I've lived in California (including Sacramento). Maybe we've just been lucky all this time. There was the Pioneertown fire in 2006, which was terrible. Fire dept response is good out here.

Honestly, there is more crime than I was expecting (for the number of people). And, according to everyone I've talked to about it, it's getting worse every day. Maybe that's true everyplace...it definitely feels true here. I wouldn't want to be a single woman trying to go about my business here. I'm told the public schools are pretty bad also (I don't know personally).

Any major shopping would have to be done out of the Basin. And (you didn't ask, but I'd want to know), I would never, EVER go to a doctor or have any sort of medical care (except dental, maybe) up here. Absolutely everyone I've ever met has only very bad things to say about it. There's excellent health care available in the Palm Springs area. Absolutely worth the drive.

Finally, marcellaitalia brought up a good point about the town of Yucca Valley...the town council is ridiculously controlling. My husband and I chose Joshua Tree because it's unincorporated and doesn't have any sort of town government to do the military two-step down the napes of our necks. We moved here for the privacy, as there isn't really a feeling of "community" out here. That's fine for us, but some people need to feel connected to their neighbors.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 9,942 times
Arrow Yucca Valley vs. other desert areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60cyclehum View Post
I am considering relocating to Yucca Valley. I've been looking for some wide open spaces (5 acres), peace and quiet, low crime, nice scenery, and nice climate. I recently came across Yucca Valley property listings and was pretty shocked by the low prices. Not really wanting 110 degree heat and saw YV had a higher elevation and cooler temps. (Lived in Phoenix for a few years).

Some folks have been misleading you... first, Yucca Valley is NOT part of the Coachella Valley proper. It is the High Desert, and very different in just about EVERY respect. Here in the Valley, we're in the low desert, and yes, it gets oppressively hot during the summer. Believe it or not, you get used to it after a few years.... some of us are just weird enough that we learn to like it. There isn't any humidity here.

You are correct in your fears that Desert Hot Springs is rife with crime and gangs. It is, however, almost a forty minute drive from Yucca Valley. The posters who advised you that Yucca Valley (AND the entire high desert!) is going in the same direction were correct. Regarding medical care as well as services, consumer goods, you may as well be living in Death Valley. The median income is so low that the services available are abysmal. People aren't friendly, the whole area just feels unsafe, and is very isolated.

Of course, I'm biased as a long-term Palm Springs resident. We're not exactly in the middle of everything here, but we're two hours to Los Angeles or San Diego. We have two medical centers, lots of shopping, and the people are nice. Anywhere from Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, to Palm Desert, La Quinta, and Indian Wells provide great quality of life, but each are different. You may want to lease for a year first to get a feel for the area. STAY AWAY from Cathedral City & Indio also if you want to avoid crime and congestion.

It's beautiful out here, peaceful, quiet, and the desert is a very unique sort of place. Send me a message if you want more specific info.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:21 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,617 times
PalmSpringsSaver, I am a bit confused about something. If I remember, Cathedral City was next door to Palm Springs, or very close. Wow. Is crime really that bad? If CC is close to PS, wouldn't the crime spill over into PS?
Yes, that part of the country is beautiful. Love it! We were out that way about 5 years ago for a visit. I want very badly to return. I dream of moving there, which is why I have been haunting the forums as of late, reading the posts about PS and thereabouts. So, info about the area is of great interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties