Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:56 AM
MCS MCS started this thread

14 posts, read 123,528 times

Advertisements

I have viewed previous posts but was still a bit confused so I thought I would post my own question.

It seems for Adelanto and Victorville most posters on this website state to avoid these cities at all cost. Are there any nice parts? Are there gangs basically roaming the streets all the time? Do the criminals live among decent people in most communities? Also it seems most would advise to live in Hesperia over Adelanto and Victorville. Is Hesperia a better city?

Please tell me the places I should be looking at to live (room to rent) close to Barstow as that is where I will be working.

OHH YEA, BTW Snow... I saw in one of the post I viewed earlier that it shows in Victorville... I've never lived in a area that shows so please advise me of anything that may be new to someone from the San Diego Area. (Car problems because of extreme heat, snow, etc) Hows the drive traffic wise to Barstow from Hesperia, Adelanto and Victorville?

Thanks

Last edited by MCS; 08-15-2007 at 04:34 AM..

Old 08-15-2007, 06:53 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
I lived in V V as a kid and back then it was a tiny dot on the map. But a friend of mine who sells real estate says its a huge city now, and we know that the more people that live somewhere, the more crime there is.
I remember snow in the winter. My friend tells me crime rates are pretty high in V V. Theres work up there but most people commute 'down the hill' to work in other cities.
Pretty much desert. I have family in Palmdale and they seem to be pretty content there, despite the growth out that direction too.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:59 PM

117 posts, read 622,780 times
MCS, I PM'd you, but forgot that new comers to City-Data can't read their PM's right away. (Forget the amount of post and/or days till they can).

Here is part of my PM to...

Victorville is okay and does have some nice areas but those areas cost more to live in. Spring Valley Lake or any where around the Mojave Narrows would be my first choice.
Adelanto has more crime problems and leans on the industrial side. I don't recommend to friends to live there. Work maybe, but no to live.
Hesperia is much nicer with better views. I always recommend anything on the South side of Main Street.

Barstow commute is boring, but not to bad. About 30 minute drive one way on a good day. Weekends are not so great because of the Vegas travelers.

Yes it gets hot out here. We have had days throughout the years that have reached 118.
The coldest I recall here is 17 degrees.
Snow is rare. When we get it, we are lucky if it sticks to the ground.
You can count on making a tumbleweed man before a snowman.

As far as where to rent...if it were I and I had to commute to Barstow, I would look around Desert Knolls.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:21 PM

119 posts, read 881,053 times
Victorville and Adelanto in the last 10 years have experience growth. Many families from LA and Orange County price out the market to buy(or even rent) have moved to the Victor Valley. Many Middle class, working class and low income families have moved in. Unfortunately, gangs have moved up to the high desert along with their families. (Gangs are small but can cause trouble is the crime level is rise BUT its not at the level LA, Santa Ana, Long Beach, Compton, Lynwood, San Fernando, Los Angeles, South Gate, Huntington Park.)

The towns are teaming up with San Bernadino County Sheriff's to clean the gangs in these communities;

There are some issues of Section 8 housing assistance fraud. But its not like the big cities. The towns are cleaning up the section 8 rolls.( Fort a point of fact I am black and mad of all issues of gangs moving the high desert and people to advantage of section 8 programs which affects many minorities who need help and make it harder people who need it.)

there need to be more Home owners associations which may help control appearance of these neighborhoods only Spring Valley Lake,Cypress Pointe in Victorville ,Silver Lakes in Helendale.

Last edited by hgclyde; 08-16-2007 at 12:10 AM..

Old 08-16-2007, 12:42 AM

9 posts, read 45,983 times
I left Hesperia 10 years ago. The only regret I have is that I still don't own my house, which would be selling for about $400K about now. Sheesh.

I am so glad I left.

The gang problems have gotten better in the time I've been gone. Higher property values and a shortage of rentals drive the riff-raff out, however, I am still so glad I left.

The smog is so bad now that you can't see the mountains anymore. Yuck.

Did I mention I was glad I left

Old 08-16-2007, 02:13 AM

Here is a link on City Data of a few pictures I posted sometime ago of my view here in Apple Valley.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...tml#post841733

Can still see the mountains just fine. Except off course during a wind storm or the occasional snow fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Hesperia, Adelanto and Victorville, YOUR THOUGHTS?-morningav.jpg   Hesperia, Adelanto and Victorville, YOUR THOUGHTS?-morningav2.jpg  

Last edited by Thunderbird; 08-16-2007 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: Added a couple thumbnail pics taken last month.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:17 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjena View Post
I left Hesperia 10 years ago. The only regret I have is that I still don't own my house, which would be selling for about $400K about now. Sheesh.

I am so glad I left.

The gang problems have gotten better in the time I've been gone. Higher property values and a shortage of rentals drive the riff-raff out, however, I am still so glad I left.

The smog is so bad now that you can't see the mountains anymore. Yuck.

Did I mention I was glad I left

Lol, when I was married we had a house in Ontario. Bought it for 129k. About a yr and a half ago, drove past it, and learned it sold for 425k!

Old 08-18-2007, 02:51 PM

6 posts, read 39,001 times
I moved to Victorville 4 years ago into a nice neighborhood with a lot of young families and retirees. Within the four years it has changed to a neighborhood with a lot of section 8's, bad gangster renters and even worst, bad ganster home owners. Stay away!!!! It is horrible. You can't even rely on the police force because they are so undermaned. There was a shooting in my neighborhood and the police handled it so poorly. I've never felt safe since then. It is a culture shock to move here. If you must move here I'd recommed areas like Spring Valley Lake, parts of Apple Valley, and the best kept secret is Silver Lakes. We live in Silver Lakes now and it is nice. It's a small community between Barstow and Victorville. They have two lakes and three golf courses. People are friendly and you feel safe. Here is a link Silver Lakes Association - Welcome to Silver Lakes Association. If you rent out there you get free golf, tennis, pool, and gym (although small). The best part too is that the community is run by an asscioation so they are really controlling the people that come there to rent. They are requiring renters to have a criminal check and limiting the sections 8's.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:08 PM

36,412 posts, read 16,022,206 times
YUK!! My best friend lives in Hesperia and there is nothing he has said that would make me want to even visit him there...No jobs, hot, cold, dry....

Old 08-18-2007, 03:12 PM

I agree with lisahartz80 about Silver Lakes being much nicer than Victorville.

P.S...Lisa, sorry to hear about your experience out in Victorville .
I've never had a problem like that or any problem with the police responding or taking action when I needed them.

The most problem I've had over here is dangerous high speed drivers, occasional naked person running around and knuckleheads dumping trash in the desert.

I did find it's amazing how many units will show up on a call for a naked person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties