Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:56 PM

3 posts, read 18,629 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in the process of buying our first house. Both of us work in San Diego and also we are having a baby in two months. We are in the dilemma of buying a town house in Santee or a house in Temecula. Both of them have the same price. However, Temecula house is 1000 sqf more and has a big backyard. The town house is small but new and lovely.
We love the house in Temecula but I am worry about the conmute to San Diego. How's living in Temecula and working in san Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 06:57 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,351,142 times
Lots of people do it...

Personally I lived in Fallbrook, which is just south of Temecula, in San Diego County, and I hated commuting to San Diego. The 15 going through Escondido is slow... Because of Lake Hodges, the 15 is practically the only route that gets you to San Diego - it's not like you can take surface streets - so everyone that wants to go south ends up on the 15.

But like I said, lots of people do it every day - and have done it for years. And once you get past Lake Hodges it sometimes gets a little easier, depending on the day and time.

I would suggest making the drive a couple of times during the exact same hours you would be making it, if you moved, and see if you can handle it.

Another alternative is to see if you can come in earlier and leave earlier - if either of you work for a company that does business on the East Coast, it's sometimes possible to work on East Coast Time, to avoid the West Coast Time traffic!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:38 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,895,577 times
There is no direct transit between the two cities. You'll have to take a bus to Oceanside and transfer to a train - a trip of more than two hours. The hours are limited and there is no service on weekends.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 AM

458 posts, read 1,257,163 times
My wife makes the trip a few times a week. She goes from Temecula parkway to Rancho penasquitos blvd, she leaves the house around 8am and is at her job at 8:50. It's about 45 miles one way with about 40 miles being on the 15S. She doesn't normally hit to much traffic when leaving at 8am. They are also widening parts of the 15s and adding Fastrak lanes. She doesn't have the Fastrak and still doesn't hit much traffic at those times. When she comes home at 4 or 5pm she will hit traffic in different spots. It also depends on how far you are from the freeway in Temecula and what exit you would be using.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 PM

Thank you very much for your answers guys. I am getting a better idea of the traffic on the 15 and possible solutions to avoid it. if we get the house in Temecula, we will be living in Paseo del sol and my commute would be to Carmel Valley, so, I estimate my commute would be around 50,minutes as well.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:37 PM

416 posts, read 634,965 times
some details you may want to think about....

1- the commute has gotten a lot easier the past 4 years. for awhile, it got bad til the express lanes opened farther north. prob'ly be even better once they connect to the 78

2- hope you both have good paying jobs which ties to the next question, what kind of cars do you have and are you commuting together?

i started with a honda accord, drove 57 miles door to door twice a day. was getting about 27-28 mpg...thats when gas was cheap...and filled up about every 2.5 trips. bought a beater chevy metro and filled up every 4 days.

if you have a gas hog, better have a good job or commute together.

3- which brings up the next issue...childcare? if you commute or are both in SD and you run into one of those awesome jams (worse was X-mas holiday...took 3 hours to get home...or when the high speed chase trapped the guy on an overpass south of temecula...2.5 hours), who will pick up the kid?

if all those things work out, temecula is a great place to live if you have to commute...then again don't forget you will get 2-3 weeks of 100+ temperatures in the summer

Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 PM

458 posts, read 1,257,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
some details you may want to think about....

1- the commute has gotten a lot easier the past 4 years. for awhile, it got bad til the express lanes opened farther north. prob'ly be even better once they connect to the 78

2- hope you both have good paying jobs which ties to the next question, what kind of cars do you have and are you commuting together?

i started with a honda accord, drove 57 miles door to door twice a day. was getting about 27-28 mpg...thats when gas was cheap...and filled up about every 2.5 trips. bought a beater chevy metro and filled up every 4 days.

if you have a gas hog, better have a good job or commute together.

3- which brings up the next issue...childcare? if you commute or are both in SD and you run into one of those awesome jams (worse was X-mas holiday...took 3 hours to get home...or when the high speed chase trapped the guy on an overpass south of temecula...2.5 hours), who will pick up the kid?

if all those things work out, temecula is a great place to live if you have to commute...then again don't forget you will get 2-3 weeks of 100+ temperatures in the summer
Great Points Dave, Never thought about the kid one as we don't have any yet.

The car one is a very good one too. We went out and bought a 2010 Toyota Corolla at the end of 2009 just for the reasons you stated. The wife drives it 4-5 days a week at about 100 miles a day. We haven't even had the car 2 years yet and it has just under 50k on it. It gets about 34 mpg combined. Not to bad on the wallet but still sucks.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:34 PM

35 posts, read 217,843 times
Hi, best wishes in your decision!

I think yes, you can do any commute. I know lots of parents commute. However once you have a baby, it really changes things. That will be X number of hours away from your little one. Since this is your first baby, its difficult to really know how much you will love and miss him/her.

I would say wait until several months after the baby is born to decide. You don't really need more space until your child is older. I have 3 kids so I understand about wanting more space!

Old 09-24-2011, 11:37 PM

Hi guys,
Thank you for all your comments. We don't commute togheter and it is not an option for us. About the car, i have a Toyota corolla 2010 but if we move to Temecula it is probably that I get a hybric or the elantra from hiunday. I also have thought about the traffic jam and the daycare and my idea is to get a daycare close to my job in carmel,valley.
However, at this point there are more probabilities that we buy in Santee.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:18 PM

38 posts, read 120,119 times
If given the choice, I would choose Temecula over Santee a thousand times over. My husband commutes to San Diego and while I'm sure it's tiring, it's well worth it for this area.

Is there a possibility of future employment around here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties