Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohs View Post
I really wasn't well prepared or didn't prepare myself for how dim the job market was for even lower level office jobs. I figured I could get a job applying to a temp agency. I feel really dumb for giving up a teaching position to be closer to home thinking I could at least get $16 an hour working in an office.
Yeah, it's a lot dimmer than the statistics would lead you to believe - I went to a meeting for small businesses in Riverside, and they said the effective unemployment rate in Riverside County is closer to 20% - the official numbers don't count all the small business owners who are now looking for jobs and don't qualify to collect unemployment - and all the people who have given up looking for a job - but would like one, if they could find one.

And like you've noticed, it's terrible even on the lower end jobs. Even high level executives, if they get desperate enough will apply for those lower end jobs - so there is a lot of competition for everything here. It's tough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:31 PM

541 posts, read 861,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Bellum View Post
It is not a new thing, this happened to me in the late 90s. I answered an ad in the LA Times needing a receptionist. When I arrived I was told "Well that position has been filled, have you considered telemarketing?" Umm, no. Waste of time on both parts and I walked out.
Good for you for walking out!

I also experienced something similar with an Accounting position at one company and a Managerial position at another. Both times I grabbed my resume and walked out as well.

There's only so much I'll put up with.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Ohs Ohs started this thread

236 posts, read 712,713 times
My husband did get a call today from a the Temp agency Office Team so we will see how it goes for him at least. They have been really great in the past. It's a bit more difficult for me because I have been teaching the last 5 years and that's all the temp agencies look at even though I have 3 years office experience prior to teaching. I'm really hoping and crossing my fingers he gets something tomorrow so we have some money coming in. Also I have heard of other insurance companies pulling this crap and sells companies so I know the old bait and switch routine happens a lot and has for awhile but I didn't expected it from a well respected company like Macy's or even Honda for that matter. That's why it's frustrating I feel like all my resources are not trust worthy. I am trying the networking thing on Linked In but they want $20 a month to be able to email people on there and ask questions or talk to them so that's not gonna happen. I have been looking at the jobs on there and they are good but a little out of my league... So I will continue the search...

Old 10-04-2011, 06:46 PM

464 posts, read 832,510 times
How about Careerbuilder, OP? It's free and sends you emails when jobs come up in your area.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohs View Post
My husband did get a call today from a the Temp agency Office Team so we will see how it goes for him at least. They have been really great in the past. It's a bit more difficult for me because I have been teaching the last 5 years and that's all the temp agencies look at even though I have 3 years office experience prior to teaching. I'm really hoping and crossing my fingers he gets something tomorrow so we have some money coming in. Also I have heard of other insurance companies pulling this crap and sells companies so I know the old bait and switch routine happens a lot and has for awhile but I didn't expected it from a well respected company like Macy's or even Honda for that matter. That's why it's frustrating I feel like all my resources are not trust worthy. I am trying the networking thing on Linked In but they want $20 a month to be able to email people on there and ask questions or talk to them so that's not gonna happen. I have been looking at the jobs on there and they are good but a little out of my league... So I will continue the search...
congrats to hubby and good luck. Sometimes the temp jobs can work into full time jobs.

Do not fall for anything that wants money up front, you will be wasting your time. I do hope you find something, again remember, those fake jobs are often posted everywhere but Craigslist is the worst.

Nita

Old 10-08-2011, 11:24 PM

37 posts, read 66,741 times
This is why 99 weeks of unemployment is so very special. Honda gets a whole room of people in and offers them a sales position which will pay more than an admin..... And you walk out. Must be tough licking the stamp on your claim envelope and waiting for the next check.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:50 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfarm View Post
This is why 99 weeks of unemployment is so very special. Honda gets a whole room of people in and offers them a sales position which will pay more than an admin..... And you walk out. Must be tough licking the stamp on your claim envelope and waiting for the next check.
She left her job in Northern California by choice to move here, so obviously she's not collecting unemployment.

Jumping to negative conclusions just so you can insult the original poster? NOT cool!

Old 10-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Ohs Ohs started this thread

236 posts, read 712,713 times
Thank you Bouncethelight. Neither of us have found a job yet. The temp agency was not interested... Trying to find seasonal work right now and was even turned down by Target... Scary stuff... And I did go back to Macys for another interview willing to work customer service. I'm on the waiting list to maybe get a call back. I'm willing to take what ever job I can find. My original complaint was that companies are being tricky and should just post the actual job opening they have instead of wasting people's time.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,302 times
I have two masters and have been looking for employment in the ie for 3 years after being laid off from the state prison system in Ca as a principal of education. i would have been gone from the ie had I not enrolled in a PhD program that has kept me around. As soon, as this program, which is another scam, is over, I'm moving up north. One thing about poor areas, when the recession hits, it hits them hardest and you will find more scam, frauds, etc. Good luck. I am currently looking for an editor for my dissertation, in the IE, I got scammed on that too. I was charged an outrageous amount for nothing that I had requested. You might want to try to get hired with the state of california up north, get permanent status and then transfer to southern california near your family.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:53 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
I know a college grad who just got a job working the cash register @ chevron p/t for $10.00 hr/25 hrs a week. She used to make min wage @ her previous job (8.00 hr for 1.6 yrs).
Just because you graduate from college does not guarantee you a good paying job with great benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties