Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:23 AM

3 posts, read 20,443 times

Advertisements

I live by CSU San Bernardino and will be commuting to Victorville for work. How is the drive through the Cajon Pass? My main concern is during the winter season? Any information will be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:01 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,337 times
First question is why the commute instead of living closer to work?

You might need chains a few times during the winter but generally, other than being a long commute, it's no big deal in winter. Having said that I should probably mention that I used to live in both Wyoming and Utah so my perceptive might be a bit different than yours.

If you aren't accustomed to driving in snow or dealing with ice, it could be hairy. Foggy conditions and rain are actually more common than snow but, if you'll be driving early in the morning you could see black ice especially in January - March.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:25 AM

Two reasons: 1) My family lives in Orange County and I want to live close by to visit them more often, and 2) My job entails providing in-home social services. I do not want to run into my clients while shopping, etc. Also, I heard that Victorville/Hesperia were bad areas to live.

I'm not familiar with driving on black ice. Is it safe to drive on black ice, foggy weather, or snow if I'm driving at the speed limit or less? Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:48 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debater926 View Post
Two reasons: 1) My family lives in Orange County and I want to live close by to visit them more often, and 2) My job entails providing in-home social services. I do not want to run into my clients while shopping, etc. Also, I heard that Victorville/Hesperia were bad areas to live.

I'm not familiar with driving on black ice. Is it safe to drive on black ice, foggy weather, or snow if I'm driving at the speed limit or less? Thanks for the reply.
There are perfectly acceptable areas to live in Victorville, Hesperia, and the rest of the Victor Valley.

You can't really drive on ice, all you can really hope for is to go over it and remain in one piece. The thing about black ice, is that you can't see it.

Re: fog, keep your distance and go slow

Re: snow, same deal, but don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, slam on your brakes (same goes for ice). Keep your distance, and tap them gently, and come to a slow stop. If there's a place where you can take a winter driving course, I'd suggest you take it.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:23 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,337 times
Those are good reasons for the commute but hesperia, victorville, etc. do have decent areas if you should decide to live there at some point.

Black ice is the most dangerous condition you'll face just because you can't see it. In winter check road conditions each day before starting out.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:11 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Quote:
Also, I heard that Victorville/Hesperia were bad areas to live.
You'll also hear, especially at this forum, that where you live is bad. Grain of salt must be taken at the wide brush tarring that goes on here.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Thanks for all the input. All of this information is very helpful.

There's not much I can do about where I'll be living since that's pretty much set in stone.

All I'm really concerned about is that if I drive carefully on the Cajon Pass (have chains ready on hand, drive 1/2 the speed limit during snowy/icy/foggy conditions) then I should be safe to do the commute? I'm more nervous about the weather conditions and my safety commuting daily through the Pass during the Winter Season.

Also, how is traffic going towards Victorville and late evening coming back to San Bernardino?

Old 11-05-2011, 02:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
You'll be doing a reverse commute, which is a good thing. You'll also avoid the Friday afternoon "going to Vegas" snarl in the pass.

The three main conditions (other than crashes) that will affect your Cajon Pass commute are:

• Snow, sometimes ice
• Fog
• Brush fires

Old 11-05-2011, 02:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
drive 1/2 the speed limit during snowy/icy/foggy conditions) then I should be safe to do the commute?
It's not as simple as that, but driving carefully and appropriately for conditions is the most important thing. Even if that means going 5 mph and keeping 10 car length's distance from the car in front of you.

There are going to be times when you effectively don't have your brakes.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,192 times
I will be driving to Las Vegas on New Year's Eve and I have read that the temperature in Cajon pass will be under 30 degree with snow shower. Do you think it's dangerous to drive in that weather condition there. My concern is also the wind with the bad weather. I experienced a bad foggy and rainy weather once before on my way to Las Vegas and it was scary..is there an alternative way to avoid this road. I will be driving from Pasadena area.thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties