Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,239 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm currently living in Eugene, Oregon. For the past year I've had a serious desire to move to San Bernardino. I've never really been too in love with my current living situation, and since almost all my family lives in SB, I've wanted to get out and head south.

I'm attending a community college here in Eugene, and am currently inquiring about transferring to Cal state, SB. I'm waiting for more information from my counselors about which credits will transfer over. Aside from the school aspect of moving to San Bernardino, I'd like to know what it takes to live on my own down there. I always have a place at my family's in SB, but I'd prefer to only stay with family for as short as possible since I'm getting older. Is it common for college students to live with parents for a while? It's pretty cheap to find an apartment in Eugene, so most students move out after high school. I'm frequently told that living in California is more expensive, though. I believe it, but how much more? What am I looking at as far as cost of renting a 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, or even just a room? What is employment like? It is nearly impossible finding a job to work through college in Eugene; almost nobody is hiring. I've had just one job (working in a restaurant, still employed) here in Oregon, so how hard will it be for me to find work in San Bernardino?

Apologies if I'm being a little vague about my situation. Any information is appreciated.

EDIT - I'm leaving for work soon so I can't get back to the responses until tonight.

Last edited by chak24; 01-11-2012 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
San Bernardino is high in crime, gang ifested, loaded with illegals, high unemployment & a cess pool. The avg price for a studio apt is about $550.00. I just HATE SB. Its trashy ! Try nearby redlands.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:25 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
San Bernardino is high in crime, gang ifested, loaded with illegals, high unemployment & a cess pool. The avg price for a studio apt is about $550.00. I just HATE SB. Its trashy !
Please. OP seems to know enough about it to like it enough to move there.

$600-$800 looks to be the entry-level apartment price in SB. The IE's unemployment is about 4% higher than Eugene's.

I graduated high school over 10 years ago. Some of my HS classmates still live at home with mommy and/or daddy. That is the So Cal reality.

I'm not a big fan of commutes, but you should also check out what apartments rent for in Victorville. You may even be able to rent two!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:08 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,348,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chak24 View Post
I'm attending a community college here in Eugene, and am currently inquiring about transferring to Cal state, SB.
Have you factored in the out-of-state tuition?

Quote:
Nonresident and international Students
Nonresident tuition fees are $248 per unit and $124 per 1/2 unit. Nonresident tuition is charged in addition to charges listed above for residents and applies to all nonresidents of California including international (visa) students.

WICHE WUE (Western University Exchange Program) student participants pay 150% of the Tuition fee and do not pay Non-resident tuition fees.

CSUSB Academic Year Tuition Fees 2011-2012 (http://fees.csusb.edu/bursar_fees_AY11-12.htm - broken link)
The nonresident fees are in addition to the regular tuition - so it all adds up fast...

Quote:
I'm waiting for more information from my counselors about which credits will transfer over.
I attended CSUSB for a year, and may be going back soon - and once I was admitted I was given access to a list of all my previous classes, that had transfered over. So there is a mechanism in place - and it happens fairly soon, after you are admitted.

Quote:
What am I looking at as far as cost of renting a 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, or even just a room?
There are LOTS of apartments surrounding the college, obviously built to capitalize on the glut of students! So if you don't mind a roommate or two, you shouldn't have any troubles.

The one thing I would warn you about, is doing a search on Craigslist, and assuming that all of San Bernardino is fine - because it's not. The area around the college is fine, and there are other areas that are fine, but much of the city is not all that great - and you wouldn't want to live there. So be careful as you search, and don't get too attached to anything, until you are able to see it in person, during daylight hours!

Quote:
What is employment like? It is nearly impossible finding a job to work through college in Eugene; almost nobody is hiring. I've had just one job (working in a restaurant, still employed) here in Oregon, so how hard will it be for me to find work in San Bernardino?
Employment is tough in San Bernardino - it's one of the ares with the highest unemployment rates in the United States - the last I heard, only Detroit and Las Vegas are higher. And because there are so few high-paying jobs, there is serious competition for even low paying jobs. It's not impossible, but just be prepared to see dozens of other applicants for every waitress job, you go out for. It's tough, but not impossible!

Old 01-12-2012, 05:43 PM

34 posts, read 105,056 times
Jobs are definitely hard to get out here, but there are still options available for college students. You mentioned working in a restaurant...if you aren't tired of it yet, I would start there since you seem to have experience to back up any applications you might submit. Getting a letter of recommendation from your current boss might help as well.

When I was going through college I worked for an office supply store and that worked out great. They were very flexible with my school schedule and I could even work split-shifts if needed. By the time I graduated in 2003 and was ready to move on to a job related to my major, I was making $11/hour and I had full benefits. Might be an option, especially if you want to try living on your own.

Best of luck with your move!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:06 PM

187 posts, read 660,672 times
I wouldn't recommend Victorville to anyone.

The only nice part of San Bernardino where you could get a rental or find apartments would be around the school (north of the 210, east of the 15). The North Park / Verdemont areas are actually quite nice for San-B.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:18 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahajosh618 View Post
I wouldn't recommend Victorville to anyone.

The only nice part of San Bernardino where you could get a rental or find apartments would be around the school (north of the 210, east of the 15). The North Park / Verdemont areas are actually quite nice for San-B.
Victorville isnt that great either.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,925,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Please. OP seems to know enough about it to like it enough to move there.

$600-$800 looks to be the entry-level apartment price in SB. The IE's unemployment is about 4% higher than Eugene's.

I graduated high school over 10 years ago. Some of my HS classmates still live at home with mommy and/or daddy. That is the So Cal reality.

I'm not a big fan of commutes, but you should also check out what apartments rent for in Victorville. You may even be able to rent two!

Please, no one wants to live in Victorville. Even if that was a good option, a 40 mile commute isn't.

Try Redlands, N. Fontana, or Loma Linda. Nice closer cities which don't include a massive commute. All about 15 miles away form the school.

Near the school is fine but most of the city is awful. My buddy is a San Bernardino cop and he has LOTS of stories. Employment is very tough as its one of the hardest hit cities in the IE.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,348,070 times
My advice? Just stick near the school. Sure, if you want to buy a house, then Redlands is a better choice. Or if you have kids, you might want to live in Rancho Cucumonga, or wherever. But a student? Moving specifically to go to school? Why not live as close to campus as possible, and meet as many other students as possible. It's not a terribly social school anyway - making friends takes a little effort - since so many students live at home and commute and/or have jobs. So I would suggest living as close to school as possible. No need to complicate things by choosing to live far away, and commute, if you don't have to!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:26 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,358,180 times
Quote:
What am I looking at as far as cost of renting a 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, or even just a room?
You can live on-campus for $508 to $874 a month.

2011 - 2012 The Villages at CSUSB License Fee Schedule

You can also check to with the Student Association and see if they have a housing department or bulletin board. People rent out rooms in private houses around there - I did, when I lived in the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties