Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM

17 posts, read 122,392 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone on the Inland Empire forum,

I would like to hear some honest opinions about the areas of Riverside mentioned in my title and also their surrounding areas (Alessandro Heights, Mission Grove, Hawarden Hills etc.).

Why is housing so affordable there? How come they are beautiful communities (from what I see in pictures, I haven't visited them yet) where you can buy nice big houses for that cheap? Is there a catch? Is it because the commute to LA is long, so not many people go there, or are they not-so-desirable because of the general reputation of Riverside having high crime? Do these neighborhoods have safety problems?

My rule of thumb is that if the schools in a certain area are good, then the area must be good as well. And schools in Orangecrest at least seem to be scoring high, but then house prices in Orangecrest are unbelievably low for what you get. I'm used to seeing decent condos around 1,200-1,300 square feet selling for around $300k, and in Orangecrest you get huge houses between 2,000-3,000 square feet with huge backyards for the same amount!!!

Another concern is - from an investment point of view, would houses there have a good resale value, realistically speaking? Or would you be stuck trying to sell your house for months and months because not many people would be looking to buy there?

My husband and I are trying to decide where to relocate in the next few months. The plan is to pick the area we'd like to live in long-term and rent there for 1-2 years, so that we get to know the area better and have time to make the right decision when it comes to buying a place.
We currently live in Glendale and are quickly realizing that LA County is too expensive for what you end up getting, and almost prohibitive for a couple like us with a modest budget for a starter home (likely to be around $300k). So we've made the decision to expand our search both east-wide towards Riverside County and west-wide towards Ventura County.

We are self-employed and working from home, so we don't really care if we are a bit farther out, but because we do commute to LA a couple times per month for business, we wouldn't want to be any farther out than the areas I just mentioned.
We have no kids yet, but plan to start a family in the next couple of years, so safety, family-friendly neighborhoods and good schools are obviously top priorities.

Amy honest views and opinions from people who know these areas are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 PM

93 posts, read 279,119 times
All those areas are overall really great areas. They all have different feels. Orangecrest and Mission Grove are cookie-cutter suburban but very nice and there's a good amount of retail. Woodcrest is rural feeling - some parts very nice custom homes and other parts just older tract homes with a little more land. Canyon Crest is older suburban but very nice, very well kept and the Canyon Crest Town Centre is a great shopping center.

My in-laws live in Orangecrest and it's definitely nice (great schools, properties well kept, etc.). I have a love/hate relationship with the feel of the area, but you'd have to check it out for yourself. I personally try to steer people to downtown Riverside or the Wood Streets neighborhood. But if you're looking for a newer home with some square footage, you're definitely looking at the right neighborhoods.

Alessandro Heights and Hawarden Hills are VERY nice with lots of custom homes.

Our prices have crashed quite a bit in the last few years which is why you're seeing them as cheap. Orangecrest/Mission Grove/Canyon Crest though are a little higher priced than Riverside as a whole. Shop around a bit and get a feel for the different neighborhoods. You'll find where the price range is compared to homes in the nearby areas. LA prices will definitely make you feel like you're paying next to nothing here. Riverside's a great city to live in though; we love it here.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:05 PM

Great response! Thank you! We'll definitely look more into all these areas!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:25 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
All are really good areas. In fact, in the next couple of years we are planning to sell our desert home - hoping not to take too big a bloodbath on it - and moving to Hawarden Hills. There are so many beautiful homes at really great prices, but we may still end up building our own because I'm extremely picky.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:58 PM

185 posts, read 511,922 times
All of those are wonderful areas! Good luck with your move from LA County, and welcome to the Inland Empire. You will probably like it a lot better over here: lower cost of living, good neighborhoods, lots of housing options, cleaner, safer, better schools, and the list goes on.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 PM

Thanks everyone!! Appreciate the input!!

Old 02-12-2012, 12:25 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
All are really good areas. In fact, in the next couple of years we are planning to sell our desert home - hoping not to take too big a bloodbath on it - and moving to Hawarden Hills. There are so many beautiful homes at really great prices, but we may still end up building our own because I'm extremely picky.

Wow funny you should say this. I sold many homes there with the realtor i worked with many years ago. But believe me, some of the homes i was in, BEVERLY HILLS, had nothing on any of these homes.
Amazing a little piece of paradise.

Hawarden Hills has some gorgeous homes, there is this one maybe you have seen it, that looks like a Castle, literally looks just like a castle, any one who lives in Riverside East, should know that home.

There are some homes in the Victoria Grove area, that are also very nice, and high up in the Lake Hills area, some almost going into Corona.

Canyon Crest also has it's share of beautiful custom homes, some as big as 7,000 sq ft and larger, some very good size lots.

There is another area called the Estates, but off hand, i cannot remember what area it was in.

I have been in homes with 2 and 3 staircases, 2 kitchens, elevators, of course, 6 car garages and more.

I would look into canyon crest and off of Mission Grove, there is quite an alcove of custom built homes.
Hawarden Hills, is a beautiful area, and of course Riverside, does have the FAMOUS Mission Inn.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 PM

18 posts, read 30,270 times
No catch, just one of the perks of our economy tanking!! The homes are gorgeous out there, and even though they are "cookie cutter" homes they have a family-friendly feel. Everytime we go out there kids are always outside playing!! Not to mention the schools in that area are great!!! I say get in while the prices are good!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties