Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 02:43 AM

3 posts, read 9,978 times

Advertisements

Since it seems from what I have been reading that there isn't a whole lot to do in the high desert and a lot of kids could go astray. Do you think that having a Children's Horse Camp located in Hesperia would have a positive impact on the community and surrounding communities? The children would stay in a old west setting with cabins, teepee's, covered wagons. With campfire BB Q's and campfire stories. With activities like karaoke, dancing. talent shows, horse shows, horse painting, swimming, art's and crafts, riding lessons, trail rides. The kids would be put groups and given the responsibility and be assigned an animal to care for during their stay. Parents would have the choice of sending their child rend for 1 to 2 weeks of camp or just for the weekend or the option of week day day camp.

Please tell me what you think good idea or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 07:42 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
A darned good idea, I haven't the faintest idea where Hesperia is, I trust you have some hills and trees to wander about in? Today's children are so disconnected from the land that any chance to reconnect is very important. I would toss in a good sized vegetable and flower garden that the kids help work.

I don't know your target group, but I have worked pretty darned extensively with kids over the past twenty years, a couple of ideas;

Disturbed children of various types respond well to horses. Sometimes there is government money to help. Even severely autistic kids sometime respond to animals.

While the idea of bringing in "inner city" kids is idealistic and admirable, they are so far out of their milieu that often they clump into non working groups with behavior problems. That group needs expert counselors and interventionists to work out.

The rich kids generally have lots of opportunities. A good target demographic is the just plain folks.

Good luck.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:05 AM

117 posts, read 622,749 times
Hesperia is out here in the High Desert. San Bernardino County, North of the Cajun Pass - Oak Hills, Victorville, Apple Valley area.

There are lots of things out here to do. A lot more than when I moved out here in the 70's. Though I have to say, lizard fishing wasn't to bad.

But I do think it is a great idea too! The only similar camp that I have heard of is being offered to a boy's home in Hesperia.

mistyemerald, are you planning on starting the camp?

Last edited by Thunderbird; 09-05-2007 at 08:20 AM..

Old 09-06-2007, 07:40 PM

56 posts, read 165,598 times
It's a great idea.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:19 PM

8 posts, read 44,669 times
Lived here since 1971 I think it would be great if the City would let you do it...what area are you thinking about?

Old 11-21-2007, 02:36 AM

3 posts, read 9,978 times
Thank you everyone for your support. The reason I was asking because my father and step mother live in Hesperia. And they have been approved by the city to build their camp. The area they live in is off of Telephone Canyon Rd. they have 18 1/2 acres to build their camp on. The name of their camp is Wagon Wheel Ranch perhaps you may have heard of them. They have put on Easter Egg Hunts for the past 2 years and hosted a flea market on their property to promote and fundraise for the building of the cabins. Funding has been going slow due to the fact my step mother has been doing everything on her own and with having to take care of her ailing parents and a brother who has had a stroke, and with my dad still on the road driving truck (and ready to retire) the camp is getting off to a slow start. Their hoping to have their camp up and running by Spring of next year. They will be delighted to hear about the good response from the post I posted. I live in the Centeral Valley and for the most part the only way I can help out is when she needs me to get information for her. My step-mother's father past away 2 weeks ago, and I think your responses will lift her spirit and encourage her to continue with the building of their Camp for Kids. Thank you everyone for your thoughts!.

Index

Last edited by mistyemerald; 11-21-2007 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: wrong link

Old 11-22-2007, 08:41 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
My parents live in Hesperia and I own rental property in Hesperia. I think it would be a great idea for Hesperia. Heck, it sounds like a blast - I'm not a kid but I wanna come to your camp!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
That sounds really awesome. Like Twinkle Toes I would love to come too. Maybe a Mom and daughter horse camp special? Please? LOL.
I had horses for a long time, and miss them very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties