Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 25,617 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Riverside County, out of necessity, and are probably going to end up in Moreno Valley (one of the newer apartment complexes).

I am in the process of freaking out after seeing a lot of very bad information. I find it hard to believe they would spend a ton of money building nice apartment complexes in high crime areas. Am I just wishful thinking here or is the danger being exaggerated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 06:22 AM

27,336 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Moreno Valley, just like many other towns/cities, used to be a very small town with only one 4-way stopsign at the main intersection.
I was through there just a couple of weekends ago and its sad to see that its almost like some parts of Orange County. We almost got lost trying to get back onto the freeway.
I know many people out there, people I grew up with, and they all tell me the same thing, the crime rate of course has increased so bad (due to the growth) and there are few apt complexes where you could feel safe leaving anything of any value in your car overnight. They are out there, dont get me wrong, but again, few and far between.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:36 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
My grandparents lived in Moreno Valley back when it was called Sunnymead. It was a really nice place to live back then, and I have fond memories of playing in their cul de sac late on summer nights.

By mid 1990s, my mom wouldn't even visit anymore the neighborhood had gotten so bad, and my grandparents sold their house and moved.

I drove through there not too long ago for nostalgia's sake, and I wouldn't feel comfortable living there.

I'd suggest a gated community if you can find one.

V. =)

Old 09-07-2007, 05:40 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Gang Infested. My sister lives there.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 25,506 times
[SIZE=2]Moreno Valley is just like any other big city (Anaheim, Long Beach, Pasadena, Riverside, Corona, Rancho Cucamonga, Temecula and others). Every single one of the aforementioned cities have good areas and bad areas. You can't expect an entire city to be the likes of a gated community. Of course the older part of the city, which is located in central Moreno Valley, is going to have and older apartment complexes and low income housing which for the most part are rentals and families that just don't care about their neighbors or the appearance of their own properties. Most of the people that live in this area have nothing invested in the property they rent so they don't care about it. These people are usually trying to escape from Los Angeles County of Orange County with their children but a lot of times their children bring all their problems with them. Even some of the adults bring their bad habits and shady associates with them.

But in Moreno Valley you will find homeowners that care about their property values and also their neighbors. Moreno Valley has two outstanding communities like this on the outskirts of the city. One is the Moreno Valley Ranch to the Southeast and the other Sunnymead Ranch to the Northwest. The difference between these communities and Central Moreno Valley is like night and day. These newer communities have people that just invested part of their savings, if not all into a $500,000 home that is part of an association that doesn't tolerate these types of people. They will call the police department and complain everyday if they have to if some of these uncaring people try to move into their community. Then you also have the Home Owners Association (HOA) to back you if they don't keep up their properties. Also the East End of the city has been named Rancho Belago to get rid of that bad reputation that central Moreno Valley has brought upon the entire city. There are also condominium homes, town houses and apartment complexes within the HOA that must adhere to the HOA standards
I live in Rancho Belago in the Moreno Valley Ranch HOA and just love my community. I have awesome neighbors that care and we stand united to get rid of any person who tries to ruin the quality of our lives.
[/SIZE]

Old 10-21-2007, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 38,165 times
Thumbs down Seriously Think About Moreno Valley

As Castlerock 10 stated, Moreno Valley's best assets are Sunnymead Ranch to the northwest, and Moreno Valley Ranch, to the southeast of the city. But they come at a price. I just moved from Sunnymead Ranch to Georgia two weeks ago after many years, because crime and the wrong elements have slowly creeped in and bringing the property values down. Back in the day Mo Val was the place to relocate but now it is so overcrowded it takes a good twenty five minutes to get from one end to the other, no exaggeration! There were so many houses for sale in my neighborhood, you wondered if anyone was left living there! The values are way down, and people like myself are giving their houses away just to get away. I lost alot, but I am alot happer now. Good luck, but I wouldn't go to Moreno Valley. Ever thought of Corona? More parts of Corona are good than bad, but your best bet is to get out of Cali period if possible!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:43 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,188 times
Definitely stay to the NW or SE in Moreno Valley. But you would be better off going to SW Riverside county like Menifee or Temecula. A little more expensive, perhaps, but much better environment. Plus, much, much less smog if you stay south of Perris.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 PM

215 posts, read 985,016 times
Try To Stay Far East North By The Fwy 60

Old 10-27-2007, 07:54 AM

27,336 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I dont know muh about it anymore, as its size has quadrupled over the years, but personally choose to live up here in the high desert for the elevation, cleaner air and yes, the people here are somewhat more friendlier.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 28,085 times
Default You won't want to live here...

You didn't say if you have any school age children, but if you do I strongly suugest you find somewhere else to live.

We have been here for over 20 years and I'm looking forward to getting out. Unfortunately the property values have dropped and the housing market is flooded with forclosures so we'll have to wait awhile.

I'm in the NW section of Moreno Valley and it use to be okay compared to other areas. Now in my neighborhood, people have signs in spanish left on their cars in the driveway for tamales for sale, there are multiple families living in houses that are single family units, and the schools have a large population of non-english speaking students.

The south east end of the city has newer housing and the city council has even decided to "change the name" to entice business. I still wouldn't recommend it. Temecula or Murrieta would be much better, even though it's a little more expensive. I would also recommend you check out Redlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties