Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 PM

11 posts, read 20,064 times

Advertisements

Hell Everyone, I currently live and work in Fontana(heritage village), I am currently renting and thinking about buying a house towards the end of the year or early '13. Houses in my neighborhood are more than what I can afford at this time. The rent is high and it would be cheaper to buy a similar house, but not to a point where I would want to commit to that payment for 30 years, or we can find comfortable payments but too small a house for our needs.

I recently started looking at alternative areas and have been thinking of buying a house in Perris in the May Ranch/Avalon community area, seems like the schools are good(according to greatschools.com) and the houses look very nice and are more than big enough for our needs, I drove the area a few days ago and it seems like there are not too many abandoned houses although I did notice some deferred maintenance issues mainly landscaping. It was around 9pm and it was calm and not too much going on.

I'm looking for feedback on those communities mentioned...Is there a lot of crime in the area? does ramona xpressway get crowded on the week-ends with people trying to access the lake? I read somewhere that the lake had to be partially drained due to worries about the damn breaking or something along those lines, any info on that? does the moto-x circuit create a lot of pollution/noise/crime on week-ends? are shopping areas accessible(near)? I would be commuting to Fontana during the week(non-carpool) and would like to know what commuting times to expect, I work 8-5.

My wife is stay at home mom, she wouldn't have to worry about commuting but we need an area that is safe so that she's comfortable when at home, and has decent schools.

Thank you for any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:05 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,363,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekz View Post
I'm looking for feedback on those communities mentioned...Is there a lot of crime in the area? does ramona xpressway get crowded on the week-ends with people trying to access the lake? I read somewhere that the lake had to be partially drained due to worries about the damn breaking or something along those lines, any info on that? does the moto-x circuit create a lot of pollution/noise/crime on week-ends? are shopping areas accessible(near)? I would be commuting to Fontana during the week(non-carpool) and would like to know what commuting times to expect, I work 8-5.
Best thing for finding out about crime ... there is a "Police Store Front" just west of that development on Perris Blvd, south of Ramona. They'd be the ones to talk to.

Ramona Expressway crowded? Once in a great while - not often. When the Fair is open (in October) and the occasional fishing contest, I've seen long lines in the turn lanes. Road construction seems to be the worst offender when it comes to traffic jams!

Lake levels go up and down. I believe the last time they purposefully drained it was in 2005. It's an earthen dam - it has to be repaired once and awhile. Local gossip - you hear stories "through the local grapevine" (no facts whatsoever) that the flood plane maps were changed to get those houses built though.

As long as your prospective house isn't directly across the street from the moto-cross dirt tracks, you'll never know they are there.

Nearest large grocery stores are south on Perris Blvd. - Staters and Food 4 Less. About 6 miles. Or north on Perris for a Fresh 'n Easy in Moreno Valley, about 5 miles. WalMart in Perris. Moreno Valley Mall (Towngate) and Costco about 12 miles.

Commuting - you will get very tired of getting stuck at the 215/60 interchange in Moreno Valley and then again at the 215/91 in Riverside.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:34 PM

11 posts, read 20,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Best thing for finding out about crime ... there is a "Police Store Front" just west of that development on Perris Blvd, south of Ramona. They'd be the ones to talk to.

Ramona Expressway crowded? Once in a great while - not often. When the Fair is open (in October) and the occasional fishing contest, I've seen long lines in the turn lanes. Road construction seems to be the worst offender when it comes to traffic jams!

Lake levels go up and down. I believe the last time they purposefully drained it was in 2005. It's an earthen dam - it has to be repaired once and awhile. Local gossip - you hear stories "through the local grapevine" (no facts whatsoever) that the flood plane maps were changed to get those houses built though.

As long as your prospective house isn't directly across the street from the moto-cross dirt tracks, you'll never know they are there.

Nearest large grocery stores are south on Perris Blvd. - Staters and Food 4 Less. About 6 miles. Or north on Perris for a Fresh 'n Easy in Moreno Valley, about 5 miles. WalMart in Perris. Moreno Valley Mall (Towngate) and Costco about 12 miles.

Commuting - you will get very tired of getting stuck at the 215/60 interchange in Moreno Valley and then again at the 215/91 in Riverside.

Thank you very much for the information! I will have to stop by the "police store front" next time I'm in the area.

Last time I was out there I did notice that there is some construction on the 215/60 interchange, any idea what they are doing and when they are planning on completing? I'm only guessing they are working on alleviating the congestion.

are we talking stop and go traffic at the interchanges or just slower speeds?

Do you live in one of the communities I asked about? if so, how do you like living there? where do you commute to and what are your times?

thanks again.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,363,648 times
I was trying to warn you about the construction on Ramona Expressway that can cause slow-downs ... but if you want to talk freeways, it can come to a complete stop at both of the interchanges I mentioned. Sometimes it only slows down. Most of the time you never ever see what caused the slowdown ... freeways have a mind of their own, LOL.

I have to drive into the LA area every weekend - and I've occasionally gotten stuck on a Saturday morning. Not often, but it has happened.

Maybe you should try leaving work in Fontana and drive out there 2 or 3 evenings in a row, just to see if the drive will be acceptable to you.

I don't live in those housing developments - I'm east of there amongst the cows and chickens - I remember when those houses weren't there.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,767,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
u.

I don't live in those housing developments - I'm east of there amongst the cows and chickens - I remember when those houses weren't there.
Where he now lives used to be the traditional pee stop for us (dog included) on our way from South OC to the HD. That was waaaay before the houses, shopping center and palm trees.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:06 PM

22,572 posts, read 24,369,327 times
Can someone, anyone, tell me if Perris is as nightmarish as most people make it out to be?????????

Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,783,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Can someone, anyone, tell me if Perris is as nightmarish as most people make it out to be?????????
Yes, you wouldn't like it.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 PM

22,572 posts, read 24,369,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yes, you wouldn't like it.

Yes, thanks....I have not heard many good things said about this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties