Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,764 times

Advertisements

My son, in his infinite wisdom of how the world works at the ripe old age of 22, decided not to reply to his jury duty summons about 6 months ago. The Riv. Co. Sherriff paid him a visit at his job with a date and time for him to show up to court and explain why he ignored his jury duty summons. He FTA for that also. The cops came looking for him yesterday at home and he wasn't there. They told my son's roommate that he is to appear tomorrow at 1pm at Southwest Detention Center for court for this same matter. This is the first I've heard of any of this and, needless to say, I'm concerned for him. Can anyone please tell me what to expect for him tomorrow? jail time? how long? fine? how much? PLEASE HELP! need to hear from someone who's experienced this first hand but any info will be great thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
I don't know the punishment for FTA twice, but I'll bet he will surely face a fine, and possible jail time.
Whatever you do, DO NOT bail him out. It sounds like he could use a few days in jail to get his priorities straight, and if you get involved he will never become a man. Let him pay his dues if you ever expect him to learn to be a responsible citizen.
It's not your problem, time to be a good parent and let him learn his lesson the hard way, or next time he will be in for something you won't be able to fix.
I know you won't follow this advice, but if you don't, you will pay later on...

Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
He should be shot on sight!

Failure to perform your civic duties and, worse, to dodge and ignore them shows a lack of caring about his community, a total disregard for authority, abject immaturity, a mental disorder or all of them.

Hate to say it but at 22 I have to wonder how he was raised and/or what he's using.

I hope it goes badly for him as a wake-up call.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmom View Post
I'm concerned for him.
When I was ~12-years-old, my parents sat me down and told me this: "If you do something that lands your ass in jail, don't call us. You got into the mess, you figure out how to get out of it."

Let him handle his own mess at age 22.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:30 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
When I was ~12-years-old, my parents sat me down and told me this: "If you do something that lands your ass in jail, don't call us. You got into the mess, you figure out how to get out of it."

Let him handle his own mess at age 22.
Correct! Ridiculous that he would have done that, and worse that his mother would not have taught him better.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
She probably taught him better, but sometimes kids are gonna do what they're gonna do. As much as you hate to see your kid get into trouble and suffer consequences, you have to let him handle it himself. He got himself into the situation, now he has to get himself out of it. It's the only way he's going to learn. You get burned once, you're never gonna put your hand in the fire again.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
She probably taught him better, but sometimes kids are gonna do what they're gonna do. As much as you hate to see your kid get into trouble and suffer consequences, you have to let him handle it himself. He got himself into the situation, now he has to get himself out of it. It's the only way he's going to learn. You get burned once, you're never gonna put your hand in the fire again.
+ 1. I agree 100%. I did that with both of my Sons. They are both independent young men today because of it. One is a Fireman and one has been in the Military for over 10 years. Were they perfect growing up? Heck no. But I made them learn from their mistakes. They thank me to day for being tough on them back then. One is over 30 years old and the other one is 25. But kids need to learn from their mistakes. Parents don't need to bail them out or they won't learn.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:25 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
He might get jail time but it's more likely a fine per CCP 209 for contempt. And it really is contempt. The fine is up to $250, but this might technically be considered his second violation; that is, up to $750. More than that it's up to $5K, so he really had better go in. Once the court pegs you for money you can't escape it no how no way.

I showed up for my summons, but I was shocked they were damn strict about those who didn't. They announced with quite a flourish for all of us to hear that the absentees would be receiving warrants. He can forget about acting sorry or offering explanations. There will be NO MERCY from the judge. He should hope for the best, a $250 fine.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
He got himself into the situation, now he has to get himself out of it.
Momma?

Old 07-12-2012, 01:48 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Quote:
I don't think it's this way with all kids, in particular those who actually were taught the concept of consequences. Values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties