Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:15 AM

181 posts, read 681,981 times

Advertisements

I like Hemet. I lived in Hemet for a year. It really is a neat, different little town. The thunderstorms are really really nice. Hemet has a different vibe than other cities around. Its more.... secluded and slow. Which is, kinda nice. I lived on the west side off of Sanderson and Mustang. I rented a newer 3 bedroom house for $1100. Not bad !! I really liked it in the winter time too, really pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:20 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,366,214 times
Excellent post, SoCal 1630!

I think the only thing you forgot was the Ramona Bowl
Or should I say Kitchen Sink

(And re the paragraph spacing - always hit preview and you can fix before posting. C-D will sometimes re-format for no reason at all!)

Old 01-06-2010, 02:40 PM

15 posts, read 98,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobdrblinkchik View Post
Don't let this thread discourage you. The West side of hemet is relatively new and not ghetto. You could also look at west san jacinto too, since it borders hemet and there's newer neighborhoods too. good luck!
Yes, but remember that you are forced to shop and run errands with the ghetto which is less than 3 miles no matter where you are in town. And the school zones force good neighborhood kids to go to school in the ghetto i.e. Bautista elementary are force to go to ACACIA middle school.

also look at the sex offenders all over this town and the crime is out of control. we are leaving by the end of 2010 God willing.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:43 PM

15 posts, read 98,579 times
But those poor little Bautista kids have to go all the way to Acacia middle school. Its a quick reality check for those kids.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,126 times
Default Thanks, tennessedreamin!

My name is
Ruth. I presently live in northeastern Iowa along the Mississippi. I'll be visiting Hemet in early November, then plan to move to Hemet in mid-January. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks for offering!

Old 11-09-2010, 02:52 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,258,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrito View Post
Hi -

I've been looking for property in So Cal for several years - I'm a 2nd gen San Diegan (living with the family in La Mesa) who thought would never be able to afford to live here. Before the recent price drop I looked in Tuscon, Oregon, Idaho, New Mexico...Just got back from a trip to Boise. Nice. Many homes under 200k. BTW, I teach online and make under 50k so anything over 200k isn't an option. I don't have to commute. Like to be near at least a community college. Prefer university. I moved back here from New Orleans in 2002.

I have been looking seriously with a realtor at Temecula and Murrieta and Menifee and Hemet and San Jacinto. All REO homes (no short sales) under 200k. The market is hot and I have been out bid several times. The homes in Temecula and Murrieta are smaller, smaller lots as well, pricier than the ones I see 30 minutes away in Hemet and SJ. They also go fast! Again - I'm looking at bank owned only.

I recently bid on a 3 or 4 year old 2200 sq ft house on 1/3 acre in San Jacinto listed at 170k! Missed it. It had a view of the mountains. No power lines. Clean new, neighborhood, little park around the corner - but the neighborhood was really undeveloped with no trees or landscaping. Around the corner is a 2000 sq ft on .25 acre across from a new school for 190k.

So I have a bunch of Hemet listings to look at, all nice big homes under 200k, some near Diamond Reservoir (I like to fish and kayak) and close to main roads leading to 215.

But the family lives in San Diego. Hemet is pretty far (but still within an hour! I'm getting picky) and I would like to live in Oceanside near the ocean (gangs, poor schools) or even Vista or Escondido - I would prefer La Mesa but houses are overpriced. And Spring Valley and El Cajon and Santee houses under 200k are terrible. And Campo and Lake Morena are a little far out. The best houses for the money are in your area IMHO.

To get back to your post - my concern with Hemet is my 2 yr old and 5 yr old being a little isolated from the beach and zoo and sea world and 'cultural' stuff. Although I tend to value proximity to the mountains and desert and lake and general quality of life (schools, newer cleaner neighborhoods, nice yard and house) as much. And I like to garden and the houses in Hemet have bigger yards. But I wonder if I will end up feeling isolated.

Seemed like the newer neighborhoods had nice, new schools. There are older sections of town that didn't seem as bad as Spring Valley which has gangs and rusted fences and generally dilapidated neighborhoods and lots of bank robberies and muggings. I saw newer malls and shopping driving around Hemet/SJ. If I bought a newer house there for under 200k I could imagine that it would increase in value in 3 or 4 years to 300k. And I could rent it for the mortgage while we live here in La Mesa for a while.

But there are people in this forum who call Hemet the armpit of IE. I thought that was odd - am I missing something? I've lived here (So CaL) 55 years and driven through Hemet since the 70s when it was a dusty retirement community, but it was always kind of mellow. And I don't know why living with a large Marine populace would be unpleasant. Might even be safer.

Is a good house for under 200k in Hemet a good investment? Is the population growing? Will they be willing to commute? Seems pretty far from everything. But how could you lose money on property so cheap?

I heard light rail is coming to link SD and Riverside Hemet LA but when I Google it I get nothing. We need what the Europeans have - good long distance public transport.

My other option is to move to Boulder County Co. (rather than the more isolated Boise) The inventory of houses under 200k there looks great. Close to universities. I don't mind the climate. But I would rather stick around SD while the parents are alive. I could buy in Hemet now, sell later and use the equity for a house in CO (:

At any rate - interested in hearing about your experiences and views (:

Jeff Prentice
I used to own several properties in Hemet/San Jacinto.
Hemet/San Jacinto is kind of like El Cajon, it is spread out with different neighborhoods. There are nice areas, with expensive homes, and not so nice areas. The best advice I can give you is to spend a lot of time looking until you are familiar with every area. I would also look on the outskirts of town as there are some nice semi rural areas especially on the south east part of town and in the foothills.
For So Cal property though, you are going to get a bigger bang for your buck there than any where else. Some people say it is too far from everything but it is within easy driving distance of everything in San Diego, LA, Big Bear, Arrowhead, Palm Springs and the River. Not too bad if you ask me.
If I were on a budget and looking for a place with cheap home prices in a reasonably good area, it would absolutely be on my list.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:54 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,510,439 times
Not to mention it takes two hours to drive to any location from Hemet.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:09 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,923,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Not to mention it takes two hours to drive to any location from Hemet.
Yeah but, remember ....... "Hemet is Heaven"!

Old 11-10-2010, 03:25 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,351,142 times
I know this particular post is from 2008, but it was quoted above, and I wanted to comment on two things....
Quote:
If I bought a newer house there for under 200k I could imagine that it would increase in value in 3 or 4 years to 300k. And I could rent it for the mortgage while we live here in La Mesa for a while.
It's now two years from the date this post was written, and prices have gone down further. I think it's a little dangerous to buy a home in Hemet, thinking it will appreciate any time soon. Buy here because you can afford more home for the same money, and because you want to live here - but don't do it, if you think you'll make a profit in three to five years - that's just not realistic.

In Southern California, Riverside County is always the first to feel it when the the economy goes down, and the last to recover when the economy gets better. And within the county, Hemet and San Jacinto lag behind areas that are closer to San Diego and Los Angeles.

My family has lived in this valley for over 100 years, and I love it here, but realistically this is not the place to buy if you want to see your $200K home increase in value in $300 in 3 or 4 years.

Quote:
And I don't know why living with a large Marine populace would be unpleasant. Might even be safer.
I'm not aware of a large Marine presence in Hemet? I lived in Fallbrook for 15 years, and even there, right on the backside of the base, the presence was only slight. If you want a large Marine presence, Oceanside is the place to be.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,958 times
Default Better areas in Hemet?

Is the east side or the west side of Hemet a better place to live? What about real close to Idywild mountain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties