Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 14,768 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am considering taking a job in Victorville but I have read on here that it is a not-so-good area. I would really like to live in the mountains. Would this be a feasible commute? What is Hwy 138 like in the winter months? I appreciate any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 11:01 PM

185 posts, read 511,846 times
That seems like a long commute. There are probably a few decent neighborhoods in Hesperia or Victorville, but I'll let the people who live up there give you advice on where.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:55 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
My colleague and his wife live in Running Springs. He commutes to Glendora for work (yeah), and she commutes to Hesperia.

He often mentions that they would get snowed in during the winter months... so there is plenty of snow in the area, at least higher up in Running Springs.

I've never been on that side of the 138, but I know the 15 freeway does get a thin blanket of snow a few times a year.

Year round, the 15 freeway part of the commute should be pretty OK. It does tend to get jammed up near the 210/15/215 split, but that shouldn't be your problem.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
It's a longer drive than it looks on the map.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:40 AM

469 posts, read 913,017 times
Crestline is a nice place. Commute isnt that bad, about an hour give or take depending on traffic and weather. I lived in Wrightwood at one time and made the commute to VV everyday. Snow is a minor issue, I found rain to be worse. I worked second shift in the winter so traffic wasnt an issue. I couldnt take living in VV anymore so the commute was worth it at the time. The peace and quiet you get in these places is awsome. No sirens, gun shots, or thugs roaming the streets in thier "Donk's"

Curious, what kind of job brings you into Victorville?

Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave82 View Post
Crestline is a nice place. Commute isnt that bad, about an hour give or take depending on traffic and weather. I lived in Wrightwood at one time and made the commute to VV everyday. Snow is a minor issue, I found rain to be worse. I worked second shift in the winter so traffic wasnt an issue. I couldnt take living in VV anymore so the commute was worth it at the time. The peace and quiet you get in these places is awsome. No sirens, gun shots, or thugs roaming the streets in thier "Donk's"

Curious, what kind of job brings you into Victorville?
Is VV really that bad ?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:18 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Is VV really that bad ?
The High Desert region has some really angry/frustrated people, particularly teens and young adults.

They are angry because they are stuck there (quite literally because they have to drive like 15 miles down a mountain for everything).

Maybe I am not a desert person, but the Antelope Valley and Victor Valley type of places just sucks my soul away.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:01 AM

469 posts, read 913,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Is VV really that bad ?
Do a search on this forum. Its every bit as bad as described and then some. City is on the verge of bankruptcy and could be broke within 2 yrs.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
I can answer the OP's question very well. I used to live in Victorville, I currently live in Lake Arrowhead and know the commuting times very well.

First of all, never, ever live in Victorville. It's a completely gang-ridden hell hole. Crestline is a million times better.

If you take the Cajon Pass to work from Crestline, it would take you about 60 minutes one way to work. The 138 would be faster, depending upon where in Victorville you work. The 138 is plowed and accessible in winter though it is a winding road. Winters vary tremendously. Last year Crestline got very little snow, some winters you can get 3 foot snowfalls.

Also, in reference to what another poster mentioned, Running Springs is 1700 feet higher than Crestline. It's a totally different climate than Crestline and they get far, far more snow.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:16 AM

335 posts, read 517,689 times
I have family that have lived in VV and AV since the mid-90s, and have raised their children there quite happily and successfully (2 went on to USC, 1 to UCI and 1 to Stanford).

The main concern for them was income, but they ALL have prospered FAR more than if they lived "down the hill", and none of them (4 households total) have suffered even one incident of property crime!

Sure, there is random violence and gang activity, but it is no where as concentrated and entrenched as it is "down the hill" - 99% of the crime I've heard of (and I've been monitoring it for 3+ years, in my search for RE investments) is gang, domestic violence and/or drug related activity.

Moreover, depending on where you live (e.g. Eagle Ranch, Spring Valley Lake, etc.), the quality of life is 4-5X what it is "down the hill" for the money.

Additionally, since the climate is not low desert, it is actually quite livable compared to Phoenix, Palm Springs, and even Riverside/San Bernadino County low lying areas where A/C is life support equipment! lol

Really depends on your mindset, but given the prices for choice real estate in VV/AV are back to the 90s, I think it's one of the hottest buys in the nation at the moment, and locking in super low Prop 13 property tax is an added bonus for fixed income folks...

Also, when, not if, the bullet train to Vegas is completed in 2016-2017, Victor Valley will become an entirely different scenario, and as a ca$h investor winding up my biz in NYC, I have purchased several "nicer" homes already, and have had boots-on-the-ground since June and have found staying in VV/AV way more enjoyable and less stressful than living in a luxury apt. in Newport, NJ!

Retired folks that like to be close to their family down the hill, and make regular visits to Vegas, will be a serious growth market over the next 10-20 years.

As a telecommuter, that has lived in OC/LA and now NYC for 15 years, I can tell you there is no better alternative for me to re-locate to, be close to a major metro without being subjugated by "it" (pollution, out-of-control .GOV presence, traffic, et al.) and live in a quality home/neighborhood without overpaying...

Note: VV/AV/Hesperia/San Bernadino LEOs have gang units kicking but left and right, and my LEO sources have informed me that "down the hill" LEOs are coordinating with Victor Valley and have been sweeping the trash in the gutter on a daily basis.

Last edited by Biz901; 08-22-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties