Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 AM

10 posts, read 13,628 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My wife and i are considering a move from the DC area to Temecula. This post may be a little long winded, but we're trying to cross all bases...

I am looking at a transfer to March ARB sometime in the next few months... We did some searching already, and have tenantively decided on Temecula, due to it's low crime, great schools, and moderate cost of living. How long would the drive from Temecula to March ARB take on average? I know some may complain about traffic, and congestion... but i have a feeling coming from the DC area (which is HORRIBLE), it wont be too bad... anyone with insight on the comparison?

We have a 4 month old, and my wife is currently in school, are there any good 4 year schools in the area? If so, how far of a commute can she expect? How expensive can daycare run there? (shouldn't need it, but just incase.)

Also, my wife is a jersey girl, and i have read a few posts of east coasters having problems fitting in... anyone want to weigh in on this? She grew up right around NYC, so she tends to have some of that "bluntness", but has learned to curb it at times. I on the other hand grew up in the mid west, so does anyone have any experience with a comparison between midwest and the area?

Finally, we will be looking to rent for a year or two, and then buy... with our max budget for rental being around 1800 a month. Will this be enough to get us into a nice house in a good neighborhood? Only so much you can really see online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mast240 View Post
How long would the drive from Temecula to March ARB take on average?
Assuming an early AM drive, not a bad commute due to the reverse-commute aspect. Most of the traffic will be going the other direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mast240 View Post
Also, my wife is a jersey girl, and i have read a few posts of east coasters having problems fitting in...
"Fitting in" is entirely up to her. Here are a few transgressions committed by transplanted tri-staters that don't go over very well in So Cal:

• "Back home, we do that this way."
• "You people wouldn't know what good food is if it hit you in the face."
• "I can't find any edible pizza. Now, the pizza back home.... bla bla bla."
• "You think this is cold weather? What a bunch of sissies. Back home our Winters are.... bla bla bla."
• "It's so DRY here in the desert!" (Hint: this isn't the desert)
• "It's so brown and ugly here!" (Don't come to So Cal expecting East Coast green)
• "Cali..."

I could go on, but you get my drift.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Assuming an early AM drive, not a bad commute due to the reverse-commute aspect. Most of the traffic will be going the other direction.
I'm assuming that the majority of traffic in the morning is headed towards SD then?

Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Sd, oc, la

Old 07-19-2013, 02:49 PM

121 posts, read 290,118 times
Fontucky is right the drive should be easy it's not even that far I think 30 miles going @ 80mph you can do the math Although during construction right now I see they've temporarily lowered the speed limit to 55mph.

As far as fitting in? Oh boy she is in for some SERIOUS culture shock. I spend a lot of time in DC and NYC and first of all she is going to be BORED TO DEATH. The ONLY thing she will like about here is perhaps the heat and the big house you can get for the money. The big house becomes a novelty and after a while you would rather live somewhere interesting. And yes, that Jersey/Manhattan bluntness is not going to fit in here well. I remember my first time in NYC I was deeply offended by the bad attitude of people until I realized it's not personal. That said, people here probably will take it personal she has to remember that. California is more of the "I'm an ******* behind your back but fake nice to you to your face" the complete opposite of NY/NJ, which is more like "I'm just blunt upfront and honest because I'm sincere just don't take it personal.".

Old 07-20-2013, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info guys... How about renting? We are looking at around 1800 as a max for rent when we get out there... Is that an acceptable budget for a nice home in a good neighborhood?

Old 07-20-2013, 10:25 PM

121 posts, read 290,118 times
It looks like that is just the right price. inland empire apts/housing for rent classifieds "murrieta" - craigslist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties