Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMACOCT View Post
Howdy,

My family is considering a move from NewEngland to San Bernardino for work. I make 100k+ and have a working spouse as well who would sell to large businesses but her income is dependent on having potential customers within a hours drive, We have a preschooler and want more kids. Safety is key, we like snow (as in have to shovel from yard) have large outdoorish dogs and I've got a 4x4 building/racing hobby. I don't mind a 45 minute ish commute.

All I read about with SB is crime and danger. Where's a safe place to look for houses? I read there's a neighborhood that's at around 3000 feet elevation, that sounded up my ally, is it safe and does it have a name for searching for homes? The car hobbies I have don't lend well to the carjacking statistics I read, nor do I like the rape or burglary figures. We're well armed (is that a problem in this area?) and our dogs are no joke, but I'd rather not live in an area that's begging to make my family a statistic.

Thank you!!

Go to Riverside. Not far away and the choices are amazing. From old Huge Victorian homes to modest 3 to 5 bedroom ranch places.

Otherwise move to the mountians of SB. You will get snow and can find homes that are big enough for the toys. Stay out of the city of SB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,017 times
I moved to San Bernardino a year ago. I bought a house in one of the few acceptable areas and felt like I got a fair deal. I couldn't afford the kind of house I wanted in the more desirable places, Riverside, Corona, Rancho Cucamonga. The further west, the nicer things are but, more expensive. On the other hand, once you go as far west as I 15 or, as they call it here, "the 15," the traffic really becomes an issue. So, SB is kind of optimal to avoid housing expense and traffic. It was a surprise to see my property taxes go up nearly 30%. They base it on the price you pay and they're high (I pay roughly $4600/year on a house that cost 350,000). Redlands is nicer too but SB is as far east as I could live.

Here are some other things that might interest you if you're thinking of moving to Cali. The drought may be a long-term serious situation. The government is typical. They are focused on other, more trivial matters.

The slow drivers refuse to get out of the left lane unlike any place I've ever driven. But, while the traffic is thick, there's not much stop, wait, advance a little, repeat, nonsense. It flows. It may flow only 10MPH but, it flows.

If you don't recycle your plastic and aluminum cans, you'll pay a big premium.

From what I gather, earthquake insurance is very expensive and doesn't cover as much as I would hope. But, I've yet to meet anyone who has incurred substantial damage in an earthquake here and only a couple of people who said they carried the insurance.

There's definitely a crime concern. The police don't seem interested in victims unless someone's been killed. But, be like me. Expect the worst from your public servants and you'll never be disappointed, regardless where you live.

I love living here but it is pricey. tax tax taxi tax

Old 10-16-2014, 12:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
It was a surprise to see my property taxes go up nearly 30%. They base it on the price you pay and they're high (I pay roughly $4600/year on a house that cost 350,000).
If you haven't already, make sure you file for the SB County home owner's exemption. It reduces the assessed value by $7,000 and reduces the property tax bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties