Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 PM

18 posts, read 52,793 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Big Bear Lake and trying to get a better idea of the winters there.
--When does the first snow usually arrive?
--How often does it snow? (I realize this is a tough question, I’m just looking for an average and if there are major accumulations on the ground throughout the winter. )
--What month does it usually stop snowing?
--Is a generator needed?

I'm used to living with snow but perhaps not as much snow as in Big Bear so any other help to prepare is welcome:-) (yes I have 4 wheel drive and chains:-)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 02:16 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Snowfall varies each year. Last season there was little snowfall in the whole state.
The roads in Big Bear are kept plowed daily, got to get the skiers up the hill.
When I lived in Big Bear the power shortages were few if any. A small generator to keep the fridge working might be handy, you can always use snow in a ice chest for perishables.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:18 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprich0000 View Post
I'm considering moving to Big Bear Lake and trying to get a better idea of the winters there.
--How often does it snow? (I realize this is a tough question, I’m just looking for an average and if there are major accumulations on the ground throughout the winter. )
--What month does it usually stop snowing?
--Is a generator needed?

I'm used to living with snow but perhaps not as much snow as in Big Bear so any other help to prepare is welcome:-) (yes I have 4 wheel drive and chains:-)

Thanks!

Last winter, the first snow fall (or one of the first in the season) was in November, and the last one was in April. During the second half of last winter, we had new snow every week, sometimes twice a week, with an average accumulation of 4 ft (the heaviest snow fall was 7 ft and the lightest was almost 2 ft.) There was always snow on the ground for most of the winter, every winter, since 1983 when our family bought this cabin (BBC), but the streets are plowed with each new snow. This year, the temperature has been in the 40s at night for about a month now, but there is not much of precipitation so we are not expecting early snow fall.

We have never owned a generator. The longest power shortage we had ever experienced up here lasted less than 30 minutes.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 10-05-2012 at 05:41 AM..

Old 10-06-2012, 09:31 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
During the second half of last winter, we had new snow every week, sometimes twice a week, with an average accumulation of 4 ft (the heaviest snow fall was 7 ft and the lightest was almost 2 ft.)
Annually, or is this supposed to be inches?

Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Annually, or is this supposed to be inches?
No, they are in ft alright, and not annually, though my numbers could be a combination of leftover old snow and new one (the sun is always out in force after it snows so the top layer is melt within hours. The old timers say there are only two kinds of weather in BB: sunshine and snow.)

There is a 3.5 ft distance (height) between the deck's floor and the bottom of our front window, and usually after a good snow fall, the snow would be above the level of the window's ledge, though it always stacked itself much, much higher on the deck's rails. After the snowblower came through (always at 1 AM and always with very bright light piercing through our bedroom window in the loft), the next morning, there would be a 5 ft snow bank on either side of our street. I'm 5'2" (in hiking boots) and I often used myself as a tape measurements against those banks.

We are close to 7000 ft elev, give or take a dozen feet.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 10-06-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM

Cold front is coming in (mid to low 30s at night now.) First snow is expected to happen Thursday this week.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 10-08-2012 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times
Big Bear Lake averages between 60 and 70 inches of snow per year. Big Bear City recieves even less. Mainly because of the rainshadow effect and more sun exposure. However the closer you get toward the Dam, the heavier the snowfall becomes. Big Bear Lake Dam recieves over 120 inches a year, again because there is less of a rain shadow and the north facing side of the lake can be quite shady lol. Ol' Wanderer I'm curious, where exactly in Big Bear do you live? Places around Boulder Bay along hwy 18 near the dam do get some heavy dumps from time to time. Also, SoCal is either feast or famine with snow as I'm sure you're more than aware.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Its truly fall now in big bear. I would love to live their but that wont ever happen. Yrs back my parents owned a 2 bedroom, 2 story cabin in sugar loaf. I loved visiting their during the summer, fall & winter. During the summer nights i always wore a hoodie & the summer rains were nice. If the op can move to big bear then do it.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Ol' Wanderer I'm curious, where exactly in Big Bear do you live?
We are east of the airport, adjacent to the forest, and at a much higher elevation than the Dam. Standing at a certain part of our street, we could see the lake way below us.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprich0000 View Post
Today. Right at this moment, in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties