Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:39 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Kinda weird seeing as the downtowns of each area are about 13 miles apart from each other.

I wonder why 2 cities so close, can be seen in such a different light by so many people. Is the leadership in Riverside that much better than SB, or is it just dumb luck??????
Riverside is closer to major employment centers, and has marginally more expensive housing.

San Bernardino attracted more of the Lancaster/Palmdale & Moreno Valley type element that escaped South Central back in the day.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:04 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Riverside is closer to major employment centers, and has marginally more expensive housing.

San Bernardino attracted more of the Lancaster/Palmdale & Moreno Valley type element that escaped South Central back in the day.

Oh my, I was considering moving to the Lancaster/Palmdale area.....until I did some reading about it....YIKES. SB mentioned in the same breath as those areas might explain it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 09:15 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
The Mission Inn is a beautiful building--no doubt about that. Worth a detour for a drink or a meal.
Taking the tour is worth it too. You get to see areas like the chappel and chinese garden that you don't normally if you walk around the hotel. This would be on my list of things to do again in Riverside if I get a chance to go out and visit. That part of Riverside, with the library and walking area are a part I miss.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:

Riverside aslo made an effort to improve itself. It won All American city one year in the 90's. If you drive from Riverside to Corona its very evident, since Riverside encourage trees, with the road margins planted with them and even homeowners encouraged by getting free trees. Corona looks like a new development in comparison.

They were hard hit by the forclosure crisis but were ground zero for the funky loans too, and the default crisis hit there first. I hated to take a bus ride before I moved, since you could see SO many of my favorite business closed and could tell how many neighborhoods had empties. I lived in Riverside for thirty years, but couldn't in the end take crowding and traffic and health wise had to get away from the smog.

But Riverside, alone among 'cities' in socal I've lived in, really has its own identity, and is more than a change in street name as the road passes into a different town.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:56 PM

100 posts, read 544,177 times
Quote:
Crime, poverty, etc, shall I go on? (SB routinely in the top 30 in the nation for crime rate, 2nd only to Detroit when it comes to poverty).

Riverside's truly bad areas *might* reach 10% of the city.
San Bernardino's might be close to 65% in general opinion (92407 near CSUSB is the only area *most* people would touch with a ten-foot pole, and many won't even touch there, do to the "stigma").

Riverside's bad areas are Casa Blanca, Eastside, and Arlanza (which isn't THAT bad IMO, but I can see ninnies being scared of it). Most of the rest of Riverside is fine and unscary.
There's Hillside (southwest of the wood streets) and La Sierra in Riverside that count as part of the bad areas too, as well as the areas north of downtown (even parts of downtown).

Old 10-16-2012, 09:32 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvkev View Post
and La Sierra in Riverside that count as part of the bad areas too
orly?

cross-streets?

Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
San Bernardino, from what I understand and have read (my visits there have either involved getting turned around on the way to the mountains or a few random drives; nothing seemed TOO bad, in the section I was in; kind of like a shabby-chic Pasadena eastside with a little Rossmoor thrown in (the walls, mostly), oh ok, and a little of the Vegas Strip because of the trash)), it has been a place "on the edge" for decades. It's pretty much "end-of-the-line" for both people and smog, because of the mountains looming above it (no offense meant to Redlands or Highland). It started life back in the 1850's as a Mormon colony, but that faded out and eventually a town came to be on that same site. It is the original home of both McDonald's (before it became a chain) and the Hell's Angels. Talk about a weird mix.

San Bernardino was also always more blue collar than Riverside, with its emphasis on manufacturing, trucking and warehousing generally. When those good blue-collar jobs started going away, the city started taking a dive.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:20 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
My girlfriend and I are going to rent in Downtown Riverside on Brockton near University Ave. How safe is this area in terms of assaults, break ins, and theft? I love the historic feel of the neighborhood and I love how charming Downtown Riverside is. I'm looking forward to living here but I want to get a better idea about how safe we'd be.

Your target area is fine. I love the "Wood Street's" area just south of there (streets have wood names in them). Stray a bit too far out this way or that, and you'll find yourself in a Hispanic ghetto. Suggest you make a personal visit to Riverside PD or Sheriff Office and inquire about particulars. Also, Zillow.com and Trulia.com provide crime statistics for specific urban areas (as do many online sites). Good luck on your move. Check out Simple Simon's Cafe & Bistro next door to the Mission Inn. Great sandwiches.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
It is the original home of both McDonald's (before it became a chain) and the Hell's Angels.
Fontana/Bloomington have that dubious honor.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:30 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Fontana/Bloomington have that dubious honor.
Yep! Began with the PBOBs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties