U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 10:42 AM

280 posts, read 381,811 times

Advertisements

I see the same people asking for money outside fast food restaurants and on freeway off ramps asking for money. I don't give them anything because I feel like it just keeps them on the street. What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 PM

13 posts, read 46,642 times
Today, the fastest growing homeless population is families, including single mothers with their children. Being homeless is not a disease. You can't catch it. In this economic climate most people/families are one paycheck away from becoming homeless. People don’t realize that a lot of these “homeless” men and woman once held a very well paying job. Everyone sees the adults out on the streets but what they don’t realize is that a lot of them have children who live on the streets with them. No one wants to separate their family even in hard times like that. Most won’t even give up their dogs and they will feed them before they feed themselves. At a time when poverty and government dependence are soaring to unprecedented levels, is it really a bad idea to help those that are hurting?

Old 10-17-2012, 03:41 PM

3,338 posts, read 7,732,891 times
The people begging at the off-ramp at Waterman and 40th are NOT homeless and NOT hurting. I have watched the same people drop off these "homeless bums" and pick them up after their shift is over. It's a long-running organized scam.

And every single time I am accosted at gas stations with people having signs saying, "Am Hungry," and I offer them some food, they get snotty and demand money.

I'm not saying people in these times aren't hurting, but the "beggars" in Berdoo are scam artists.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 AM

3,852 posts, read 12,206,022 times
Don't give them money, it only enables their addiction.

If you want to help then donate to charities which provide services to the homeless.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 AM

5 posts, read 9,061 times
Default i was homeless in st louis for a while...

and I used to have to beg for money. I can tell you first hand, if you see the same people over and over its a a scam. They probably average 150 bux a day (well I did in st louis, i hear out here its not THAT good), so the only thing that will make them leave is if the cops come and arrest them all the time. Other than that, if no-one gave them money they would also leave.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 AM

346 posts, read 1,135,995 times
There was a homeless guy outside a Walgreens on Thanksgiving day. As I walked in, he said he didn't want money but was hungry.

There's limited food in Walgreens, but I got him a turkey lunchable, string cheese and gatorade

I was willing to help because he didnt ask for money.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM

8,451 posts, read 13,335,276 times
On the TV show Addicted, many, many of the addicts are seen to support themselves by panhandling.

One guy stood in front of a fast-food restaurant and was filmed as he collected $100 in an hour. Do you make that much?

Then, the guy came back that afternoon, too, after he smoked up the $100.

In another show, the addict exchanged food coupons from McDonald's for drugs. Some people give these instead of cash.

If you must give, give actual food.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 9,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
On the TV show Addicted, many, many of the addicts are seen to support themselves by panhandling.

One guy stood in front of a fast-food restaurant and was filmed as he collected $100 in an hour. Do you make that much?

Then, the guy came back that afternoon, too, after he smoked up the $100.

In another show, the addict exchanged food coupons from McDonald's for drugs. Some people give these instead of cash.

If you must give, give actual food.
there were days panhandling in st louis where i made 350 dollars... there were 6 separate occasions where people gave me 100 dollar bills. you cant make that kinda money asking for spare change, but if you hold a sign on a freeway offramp 5s, 10s, and 20s add up quick.

its easy to get stuck doing it because the money can be so good. i ended up getting arrested too many times though, and finally moved back home to become a productive member of society. I am much happier making less money at a real job than i was humiliating myself on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties