Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,659,475 times

Advertisements

Would you consider retiring in Riverside? Have you already retired? We're been looking at listings in Temecula and recently in Riverside. It seems less expensive for a house on a 1/3 acre lot that's 2,000 sq ft in Riverside than it is in Temecula. Is that a fair statement? We saw a house on palisades circle I think in riverside, zip 92506 in the mid 300's ( our price range is wide, 275k-425K ) and "drove" around the neighborhood on google. Looks very established with lots of trees as well as those lovely tall tall palm trees and both of us thought looking at the pics that we'd like to look in that area. However we're also not planning on moving again and I'm already mid 50's. That led me to the question of retirement. What say you, thumbs up or down on Riverside and please give reasons for the vote either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 12:39 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,549,834 times
Temecula is newer and cleaner suburbia. Riverside is older, more charming, much more urban than Temecula. It depends on what you like.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,016,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk92681 View Post
Temecula is newer and cleaner suburbia. Riverside is older, more charming, much more urban than Temecula. It depends on what you like.
Pretty much spot on although the charming aspect of Riverside is very subjective. I would come out for a few days and visit each place before deciding on where to buy a house.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:18 PM

185 posts, read 512,292 times
Certain parts of Riverside may fall into the "charming" category, others not so much. Temecula is very clean and beautiful, seems like a great place to retire. Riverside is closer to LA/OC entertainment options, so it just depends on what you prefer.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Parts of Riverside offer what the shake and bake newness of Temec can't, which is beautiful, old, established neighborhoods.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:54 PM

185 posts, read 512,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Parts of Riverside offer what the shake and bake newness of Temec can't, which is beautiful, old, established neighborhoods.
This is the absolute truth. If you are interested in some great historic neighborhoods, Riverside has got them. Plus, the historic parts of Riverside are less expensive than similar historic neighborhoods in Fullerton, Orange, etc.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Well, if I chose to move back to Ca it will either be Riverside or Bakersfieldadelphia. From what I have read I am leaning very much toward Riverside(although roasting summers are not my preference).....most people speak pretty highly of it. OTOH San Bernardino sounds like a nightmare.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,851,848 times
I'd look at the walkscore of any neighborhood I was thinking of moving to in retirement. As one's ability to drive deteriorates, walk accessible stores and services become that much more important.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, if I chose to move back to Ca it will either be Riverside or Bakersfieldadelphia. From what I have read I am leaning very much toward Riverside(although roasting summers are not my preference).....most people speak pretty highly of it. OTOH San Bernardino sounds like a nightmare.
A dream (or nightmare) is what you make of it.

Ironically, I like to make somewhat subtle comparisons to your last known location (Spokanistan) and Riverside. They have similar feels IMO (working-class, some old money, etc). The same could be said for Bakersfield, though I like Riverside better (this is not homerism talking here).

If you are considering those two, why not Fresno, Modesto, Sacramento?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
A dream (or nightmare) is what you make of it.

Ironically, I like to make somewhat subtle comparisons to your last known location (Spokanistan) and Riverside. They have similar feels IMO (working-class, some old money, etc). The same could be said for Bakersfield, though I like Riverside better (this is not homerism talking here).

If you are considering those two, why not Fresno, Modesto, Sacramento?

Well, if Riverside has a similar feel to Spokane...that is a good thing. I actually like a LOT about Spokane. Spokane kinda feels like what Seattle was before it got totally Yuppified and insanely overpriced. I ran out of gas the other day and it was not 3 minutes before some nice guy stopped and gave me a round trip ride to get a gallon of gas.....he would not let me buy him coffee or some gas.

I truly do not like the winters in most of Washington state....Spokane's are long and nasty. Something about California....it is probably the most interesting place I have ever lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties