Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,795 times

Advertisements

Hello-
I have a family with 5 young kids all under 13. we are looking to rent and possibly buy a home in a few years but we are not sure where to even start looking for a place to live/work. we would like a place that is family friendly and not too far from the ocean. I know the cost of living in CA is high, especially close to the ocean. Schools are very important and so is crime. I have a possiblity to transfer my job to Corona, CA. Any thoughts on Norco or the surrounding areas? I dont want to commute for hours either.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 02:54 PM

345 posts, read 1,031,082 times
Why not just live in Corona? You say you don't want to commute. A lot of people live in Corona (a bit cheaper) and commute to Orange Country or elsewhere.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
Hello-
I have a family with 5 young kids all under 13. we are looking to rent and possibly buy a home in a few years but we are not sure where to even start looking for a place to live/work. we would like a place that is family friendly and not too far from the ocean. I know the cost of living in CA is high, especially close to the ocean. Schools are very important and so is crime. I have a possiblity to transfer my job to Corona, CA. Any thoughts on Norco or the surrounding areas? I dont want to commute for hours either.
Thanks
What would your purchasing budget be when it is time to buy?

Look at Yorba Linda, Tustin, Irvine, Chino Hills, and Diamond Bar.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:04 PM

I have heard that the crime rate in Corona is not good. budget for housing would be les than $450k

Old 04-01-2013, 04:05 PM

what about Norco? what's that like?

Old 04-01-2013, 11:00 PM

12 posts, read 29,200 times
Norco is a good place to live in! By the way how much is your budget? Maybe I could help you with this one.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
I'm thinking San Bernardino, Riverside or maybe Loma Linda.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
If you're looking for a family-friendly community, try Temecula or Murrieta, which are basically "twin cities" and both within a 20 minute drive to Corona. Both have highly rated schools and neighborhoods and both are safe. Both also lean more toward being conservative/Republican, so if that's a problem, consider yourself warned.

In Temecula/Murrieta you are (with traffic):

20 min. to Corona
30-45 min. to Anaheim Hills
20 min. to Riverside
30 min. to Escondido/Northern San Diego
45 min.-1 hr. to Downtown San Diego
1 hr. to Palm Springs
1 hr.-1 hr./20 min. to Orange County beach cities
1 hr.-1 hr./30 min. to Los Angeles
1 hr.-1 hr./30 min. to Big Bear & Lake Arrowhead
4 hrs. to Las Vegas, NV
5 hrs. to Laughlin, NV
7 hrs. to Bryce Canyon, UT
7 hrs. to Mammoth Lakes, CA
7 hrs. to Grand Canyon/Flagstaff, AZ
7 hrs. to Phoenix, AZ

Very nice location!

Last edited by kttam186290; 04-02-2013 at 11:20 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 06:34 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
I liked Murrieta mainly the areas north of the 15. The markets, shopping, schools are nice an the people are friendly. Although, some things were a little annoying since I frequented markets they did not have such as Sprouts and if you aren't living in Temecula, Trader Joes is a 6 mile drive and there's one exit that is always jammed. A female friend got rear-ended there upon exiting (hit & run driver). you can acclimate to it very well. Summer and winter are like AZ although "some days" you'll get a nice breeze. Some days, not many.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Moved this to the Inland Empire forum as this thread would be more appropriate there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What would your purchasing budget be when it is time to buy?

Look at Yorba Linda, Tustin, Irvine, Chino Hills, and Diamond Bar.
Something wrong with South Corona? Lake Hills? Eastvale (besides the former smell)? All the newer housing tracts down I-15?

Yes, those are "reverse" commutes, but what about having virtually none? Irvine is simply a ridiculous suggestion IMO (as is Diamond Bar to a lesser extent).

Quote:
I have heard that the crime rate in Corona is not good. budget for housing would be les than $450k
//www.city-data.com/city/Corona-California.html

Corona's crime rate is right down there with all of the cities Charles mentioned. $450K is more than enough to get you into one of the safer areas of a very safe city (Corona) or adjacent (to again, a safe area).

Quote:
what about Norco? what's that like?
Norco used to be a cow town. There is a new tract on the SE side of town called Norco Hills, which is horse-themed, but basically new suburbia like everywhere else. Unless you really fashion horses, the rest of Norco won't be of much interest to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
If you're looking for a family-friendly community, try Temecula or Murrieta, which are basically "twin cities" and both within a 20 minute drive to Corona. Both have highly rated schools and neighborhoods and both are safe. Both also lean more toward being conservative/Republican, so if that's a problem, consider yourself warned.

In Temecula/Murrieta you are (with traffic):
Yeah, but there's that little 91/15 interchange thing that has been out of date since it was built in the late 80's. Google Maps currently shows 42 minutes from "Temecula, CA" to "Corona, CA" in 0630 traffic.

Last edited by Count David; 04-03-2013 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties