Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:49 PM

875 posts, read 1,083,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I moved to Texas 3 years ago. I am moving back to Southern California ASAP!!!!!
I live in the metroplex too......I'm not fond of it either, although I don't think I'll go back to CA. I moved out of So. Cal. in 1986 and relocated to northern CA.

My parents still live in So. Cal., but I can't imagine moving back to the San Bernardino area at this stage of the game.

What don't I like about Texas? The snotty attitudes of the natives here first and foremost, but also, the cost of living is very high - in spite of what the locals claim. It seems like all the laws here are geared towards protecting businesses, and certainly not their citizens.

My lease is up in 5 months....hopefully I'll have figured out where to go by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 10:50 PM

34 posts, read 102,456 times
Wow, what a thread! I have been so mislead by Texas natives. I think I need to rethink the mistake that I was about to make. Hail storms!?? That is some new news to me. Snotty attitudes? I was told that TX has the nicest and most laid back residents. Can someone give me information on Riverside Counties and San Diego?

Old 01-19-2008, 02:05 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,925,504 times
Yes, if you go into the Texas forums they want to sugar coat everything and make it seem as though it's a complete utopia or some kind of paradise. Once you get there you find out it is not. I tried to tell about my experiences and I kept getting banned, infractioned and neg repped, so I don't go in there anymore. Just be aware that Texas is paradise to some and hell to others.

I live in the Coachella Valley, which is in Riverside County and I love it here. I am in Riverside proper several times a week and am frequently in San Berdoo and Riverside and I really like it here. I know San Diego is nice but it is expensive and crowded, like Orange County. I can't say much about San Diego because I don't spend a lot of time there, but when I was a kid I did live in Fallbrook, Oceansode and Vista in an Diego County, but I was a kid then and things were a lot different. Plus, since I was a kid, I would not have had the same perspective then as I might now.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:13 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,280,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yes, if you go into the Texas forums they want to sugar coat everything and make it seem as though it's a complete utopia or some kind of paradise. Once you get there you find out it is not.
That's what I find so funny about those threads ... especially since I had already lived there.

But when people make a major move like that, they're not likely to admit that they made a mistake. Afterall, that kind of a move is a major investment in and of itself.

So at that point it almost HAS to be utopia ...

Old 01-20-2008, 09:15 AM

83 posts, read 342,645 times
Not only do Texans sugar coat everything, they also sit upon very High horses.
Like Roma I moved from Southern Cali to South Dallas Metroplex -- hate it here and am moving back asap.
I just got some bitter sweet news that my Husband was promoted, he wants the experience and he's signed a contract to stay here in Tx for another year!
I guess it will situate us better when we do get back to Cali.

So, you may or may not miss Texas... all depends on how much you dislike it in the first place.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
That's what I find so funny about those threads ... especially since I had already lived there.

But when people make a major move like that, they're not likely to admit that they made a mistake. Afterall, that kind of a move is a major investment in and of itself.

So at that point it almost HAS to be utopia ...

I already lived there too, but I'm back in CA - where I belong! I know first-hand about the sugar coating. Before moving there people in the Texas forums painted such a bucolic picture of the place. Yes, we visited many times but we were wearing our rose colored glasses. Once we actually had to live there, it was another story altogether. Then we found out what it was really like. I won't bash the place - some people love it, some people hate it. But for my part, I have to say I've never been more happy to be back home in California!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 PM

31 posts, read 164,998 times
Yo!! I dont hate Texas or anything, I think they offer pretty much the same stuff as Cali does, but its the darn weather that is a major turn off.

Texas is nice to visit and pass thru, but to live there is another thing!!
I have some property that is southeast of San Antonio, and I was gonna build a home on it and move out there from Calif. But when I was there checking everything out, it was non-stop rain for 2 weeks straight!! and cold too.
The high humidity was another turn off. Out here in Calif. we are used to running our "swamp coolers"....but over there in Texas, if you operate a swamp cooler, you'll destroy the inside of your home real quick!!
No thanks. I'll stay put for a little bit longer.

But they do have a very sweet drag strip there east of San Antonio!!....something thats not "politically correct" anymore in Calif.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Longshaft View Post
Yo!! I dont hate Texas or anything, I think they offer pretty much the same stuff as Cali does, but its the darn weather that is a major turn off.

Texas is nice to visit and pass thru, but to live there is another thing!!
I have some property that is southeast of San Antonio, and I was gonna build a home on it and move out there from Calif. But when I was there checking everything out, it was non-stop rain for 2 weeks straight!! and cold too.
The high humidity was another turn off. Out here in Calif. we are used to running our "swamp coolers"....but over there in Texas, if you operate a swamp cooler, you'll destroy the inside of your home real quick!!
No thanks. I'll stay put for a little bit longer.

But they do have a very sweet drag strip there east of San Antonio!!....something thats not "politically correct" anymore in Calif.

Yes but ... "If you build it they will come ....."

Old 01-22-2008, 02:11 PM

30 posts, read 137,658 times
Wow, I can't believe I found this forum! Its awesome!

Well, the hubby and I are moving to California in March.
We have lived in Austin all our lives.
Austin is also very expensive to live...if you live near downtown. Its crazy there.
$500,000 for an old house in Tarrytown? Yeah, right. You're paying for the location. Drive 30 miles out in Round Rock? That's different. More affordable. It all depends on where you live.
We decided on California because we want a change.
So my husband started talking to companies out there and they've offered him double what he makes here. He will be working out of San Diego and we have fell in love with Murrieta.
We've owned a home for 12 years and sold it 2 months ago. Honestly, I hate the way owning a home ties you down. So we have no plans on buying a home in Cali.
We were surprised at the price of renting a beautiful home in Murietta! $1600 for a 4 bedroom house? Wow. That's what we pay here! And there the houses are newer and bigger! So we are excited about that!

I am shocked at the attitudes of my friends and family when we tell them that we're moving to California.
"The mudslides! The earthquakes! The fires! The cost of housing!"

It all depends on the person. Their career and what their style of living is.
Obviously, if you're starting out, you will have a hard time surviving anywhere. If you've been working in the same career for 20 years, you will have a better chance of surviving.
If you live beyond your means, also will have a hard time.
Make $30,000 a year? Probably won't be able to live in Beverly Hills, ya know?

There are so many equations to this that no one will have the right answer of where the best place to live, shop, etc. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

I can't wait to move out there! The hubby and I are going to take pictures of us out there and photoshop fires and mudslides in and send them to the naysayers in the family!

Old 01-22-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyD1970 View Post
Wow, I can't believe I found this forum! Its awesome!

Well, the hubby and I are moving to California in March.
We have lived in Austin all our lives.
Austin is also very expensive to live...if you live near downtown. Its crazy there.
$500,000 for an old house in Tarrytown? Yeah, right. You're paying for the location. Drive 30 miles out in Round Rock? That's different. More affordable. It all depends on where you live.
We decided on California because we want a change.
So my husband started talking to companies out there and they've offered him double what he makes here. He will be working out of San Diego and we have fell in love with Murrieta.
We've owned a home for 12 years and sold it 2 months ago. Honestly, I hate the way owning a home ties you down. So we have no plans on buying a home in Cali.
We were surprised at the price of renting a beautiful home in Murietta! $1600 for a 4 bedroom house? Wow. That's what we pay here! And there the houses are newer and bigger! So we are excited about that!

I am shocked at the attitudes of my friends and family when we tell them that we're moving to California.
"The mudslides! The earthquakes! The fires! The cost of housing!"

It all depends on the person. Their career and what their style of living is.
Obviously, if you're starting out, you will have a hard time surviving anywhere. If you've been working in the same career for 20 years, you will have a better chance of surviving.
If you live beyond your means, also will have a hard time.
Make $30,000 a year? Probably won't be able to live in Beverly Hills, ya know?

There are so many equations to this that no one will have the right answer of where the best place to live, shop, etc. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

I can't wait to move out there! The hubby and I are going to take pictures of us out there and photoshop fires and mudslides in and send them to the naysayers in the family!
Yeah, you will need a pic of a large cravasse, like the Earth has just opened up from a major earthquake and is swallowing you guys up. Make sure you photoshop yourselves into that cravasse smiling and waving. You could have some fires in the background, but for good measure throw in some looters running away with stuff taken from the burning structures. Your relatives will be proud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties