Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 10-13-2013, 12:15 AM
2 posts, read 2,444 times
Reputation: 10


Hi there,

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a lot of land and building a small home (approx. 800/sf) for weekend getaways and such around Joshua Tree/29 Palms.

Wondering just how hard is it to get the proper building permits to build on bare land? Does anyone have any personal experience they can share?

I've read that it can take 6 weeks for just the Fire Dept to approve a permit that will allow me to submit my building plans to the city ... sounds like an absolute runaround. Also wondering approx. how much in building permit fees to city were paid once its all said and done.

Another route I'm thinking about is buying the land and then buying a PreFab home, don't know what permits that would require.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 02:51 AM
1 posts, read 734 times
Reputation: 10
Hey, I’m wondering the exact same thing. Did you manage to find any answers? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2020, 05:11 PM
661 posts, read 832,364 times
Reputation: 840
When you buy land look how far the water, electricity lines are away. Some lots already have water meters, you pay more upfront bit save the time and hassle on the back-end.

Contractors may want on average $150 - $200 a square foot, sub it out yourself I had clients pay $110- $135 to built a pretty nice home. but you should know what your doing.

When you find the lot do your due diligence, check with the building department, call the water and utilities and find the costs. Once in Temecula on rural land we had to pay $14,000 just for a "temporary" pole so we used generators to build the home and run the tools, if the next water meter is way down the road you pay them to bring to that lot, it can get expensive so know what your getting into, infill lots with homes on both sides are usually safer, vs rural raw land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top