Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 08:48 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times

Advertisements

I'm scoping out the Palm Desert area as a possible location to relocate to since I can now work remotely. I'm from the state of Washington but have lived a good while in Florida, Louisiana, and Washington DC. I've noticed a big difference in the amount of critters between some of these areas.

I'm very curious if any transplants had any observations on how the area compares for roaches, spiders, mosquitos, poisonous snakes, and scorpions? Are there noticeable populations of any of these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 09:41 PM

687 posts, read 1,493,628 times
I transplanted the opposite direction - Palm Springs to Washington. The mosquitoes this past summer, and spiders this fall were a noticeable difference. There are spiders in the desert, but not nearly the numbers you see up here. As more water (lakes, ponds, golf courses) gets transplanted to the desert, mosquitoes are becoming more of an issue, but I'm talking a random mosquito bite a few times a year. You won't get eaten alive. I lived in PS for almost 40 years saw maybe 3 scorpions, and never saw a poisonous snake out and about. I saw maybe a dozen random snakes over the years. By comparison, I saw at least one snake a day in my garden up here this past spring.

The biggest problem bug-wise in the desert is cockroaches. Many people have monthly exterminator services to keep them out of the house.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post

The biggest problem bug-wise in the desert is cockroaches. Many people have monthly exterminator services to keep them out of the house.
Cockroaches are my BIGGEST concern. ugh!! I hate them!!

There were less roaches in Seattle than there were in DC, Florida, or Louisiana so I was hoping that there would be even less in a desert. They seem to thrive in moist areas, but I guess the reality is that they thrive everywhere, especially where there's civilization to scavenge.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:18 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,617 times
By roaches, do you mean the huge waterbugs or the smaller kind?

Old 12-02-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
By roaches, do you mean the huge waterbugs or the smaller kind?
both are bad, but the big ones freak me out the most. They call them palmetto bugs in Florida. In Louisiana we just call them roaches.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:31 AM

143 posts, read 395,254 times
Cockroaches are creepy and do spread disease, but you should be able to limit them by keeping food well-contained, and there are worst creatures running around. Ants may be a problem, and not just the big kind as in "Them!"

Old 12-02-2013, 03:30 PM

581 posts, read 920,281 times
The bigger concern is black widow spiders. They get in and around your pool equipment, up under your outdoor furniture and if have sunken diverter valves for pool/spa heater. I've always had a pest control guy.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:59 AM

687 posts, read 1,493,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
both are bad, but the big ones freak me out the most. They call them palmetto bugs in Florida. In Louisiana we just call them roaches.
There are both in the desert. The larger ones are less likely to come inside, but it happens. Black widows are very common and tend to stay in dark, quiet places. Desert kids are raised with the "fact" that black widows will jump on you, bite you, and you will die. No true, but it's very effective in keeping little ones (and others) from getting too close.

We moved into a house with a bug problem. The exterminator sprayed inside and out for a few months. Once they were under control, we only had him do the outside.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:20 PM

1,499 posts, read 884,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I'm scoping out the Palm Desert area as a possible location to relocate to since I can now work remotely. I'm from the state of Washington but have lived a good while in Florida, Louisiana, and Washington DC. I've noticed a big difference in the amount of critters between some of these areas.

I'm very curious if any transplants had any observations on how the area compares for roaches, spiders, mosquitos, poisonous snakes, and scorpions? Are there noticeable populations of any of these?

Sorta depends if you are planning on living here year round..or not in the very hot months ..say June 15 to Sept 15 (which is what we do)...

Returning from 4 months of desert heat and be prepared to find LOTS of dead cockroaches and crickets inside your place...even desert rats inside toilets seeking water..We turn off all the inside water which helped with the rat that nearly scared me to death once..

As for crickets and cockroaches we use those "sticky traps" for both..they seem to ignore the baited ones that they have to crawl into the holes..but seem dumb enuf to get stuck to the stickies..eventually of coure they will die...we put them all over..bathrooms,, closets..kitchens under the cabinets..laundry..even in the garage (just make sure your pets are not able to get to them)

We have never had monthly bug service..once we return in the fall we do not have a problem

Snakes..yes..around pool equip and a/c units..never looked close enuf to see if they might be poisonous..all snakes creep me out

Mosquitos not a problem ..tho in the evenings in fall and spring we can get these pesky tiny flies that buzz your head in the dusk..

hope that helps..

ps if you are living here all year..be prepared for outrageous power bills for a/c

Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 PM

How about big centipedes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties