Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 06:49 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times

Advertisements

The IE is hated by folks in LA/OC/SD, so it can be a buzzkill whenever you're at the beach because anyone who finds out about where you live will say something along the lines of "oh sorry, why would you live there?"

Suffice it to say, LA/OC/SD girls will look down upon you for it.

Finding girls to fool around with won't be that difficult for you as a professional, but finding a quality girl will be. Generally, LA/OC are talent magnets. IE folks are usually down on their luck or just sort of meagerly getting by. It's not even that the IE is suburban that's the problem, it's that it's so much less desirable to it's neighboring counties. IE also has the highest poverty rate in the county which is a bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,104 times
Exclamation I 10000% agree with this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpersignal View Post
Quite frankly, there aren't any good places in the IE for a 23 yr old single guy. If you were my younger bro (or my kid) I'd tell you to high tail it out of the IE, go to either SD OC or LA. If you're a family man, different story but you're not. If you're still hard set on it, I'd say RC. Super hot chicks in RC everywhere.
It sucks down here dude. Try google imaging the streets of loma linda and see if you like what you see. But there really is nothing down here. I live in Redlands and its downtown is like one street only. State Street. There are several bars including a local brewery but ehh if your coming from a city city go look at LA or anywhere beyond gran terrance area ha. I'm currently saving up money to get my butt of of here. Hopefully San Fran.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:30 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
IE folks are usually down on their luck or just sort of meagerly getting by.
Not necessarily. Many have LA/OC jobs and commute, or at least are pretending to be just as affluent as their western counterparts.

Personally, I'd rather have much of IE over LA, and definitely over every non-sandy inch of OC any day of the week.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:20 PM

122 posts, read 193,531 times
Loma Linda is SDA so there's not a lot of bars. If you were my son I'd direct you to Riverside (but the commute from 91 to 10 is a PITA) or Redlands. Do not go to San Bernardino or Colton. Riverside has more regular bars, Redlands has well to do bars - the old money is in Redlands.

You can ask around the VA for guys that are looking for room mates or check out some facebook groups Redlands Buzz is one and Redlands Daily facts is another - you can post a question to the moderator of the group and they'll post it on their wall so everyone can see it. If you do choose Redlands, there's always the University of Redlands and people are always looking for roomates.

Good luck.

PS We're in a valley so we get tons of smog - it's just how things are here

Old 12-20-2013, 11:38 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBoBinda View Post
Loma Linda is SDA so there's not a lot of bars. If you were my son I'd direct you to Riverside (but the commute from 91 to 10 is a PITA) or Redlands. Do not go to San Bernardino or Colton. Riverside has more regular bars, Redlands has well to do bars - the old money is in Redlands.

You can ask around the VA for guys that are looking for room mates or check out some facebook groups Redlands Buzz is one and Redlands Daily facts is another - you can post a question to the moderator of the group and they'll post it on their wall so everyone can see it. If you do choose Redlands, there's always the University of Redlands and people are always looking for roomates.

Good luck.

PS We're in a valley so we get tons of smog - it's just how things are here
Not to Chehalis yet?

Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
For all of you that are telling the OP that the IE is no good and that he should live in SD, LA or OC and that living in the IE is "buzzkill", what in the world are you thinking? The man has a JOB OFFER and he is 23 YEARS OLD. Having a JOB is a good thing and the IE is by no means so bereft of enjoyment that he can afford to toss that aside (wouldn't matter if it was). Redlands and RC and Riverside will have enough to keep him busy for a while, along with the occasional drive to the more populous areas.

OP, go for it. Anybody that's worth dating or having will not give your working or living in the IE a second thought, especially if they are doing the same themselves.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:03 PM

122 posts, read 193,531 times
Nope, not yet David :P We're still waiting and I'm still doing my homework. Now we're back on to looking around in Vancouver/Longview. It's making me crazy!

And yeah, I have to 2nd what mrsltd said - just go for it. Loma Linda is a great little quiet town for the most part. Redlands is old money in some areas and Riverside is...Riverside. I live in Colton but in a rural area. I have friends that live in Grand Terrace, my daughter lives in Riverside and go to bars all the time in town and has a great time. Every town mentioned has pockets of "fun" and pockets of "oh my gawd stab my eyes it's so boring here"

What else do you like to do? Skateboard? Dirt biking? Bike riding? Yoga? Gym?

Old 12-27-2013, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,574 times
I will give you my honest opinion since I feel like I relate most to your situation.

I am a 23 year old single female that got a job offer working in Riverside after applying for jobs (had recently graduated) for a few months, and was excited to be given a great job opportunity. So I took the job offer and moved to the Inland Empire! Before moving here I had lived in big cities all my life--I was born and raised in the San Jose and had most recently lived in San Diego for a few years. I had never really been to the Inland Empire (maybe just passed through it a time or two), and was sure that it wouldn't be hard to adjust to.

The first few months were okay, simply because I was getting used to my new job and life. But I would say after 3 months I was ready to be done with this place. It is so boring here!! Especially for a young, single person, knowing no one! I made plenty of efforts to meet people here and socialize: took dance classes, tried online meet-ups, signed up for a kickball league (that fell through because no one signed-up), etc. I have made not one new friend after living here for a year. I cannot tell you how miserable and depressed I feel! It got to the point where I ended up just driving every other weekend to LA or SD to visit friends from college. And any weekend I stay here, I am banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what to do, because there is nothing to do. In SD its so easy to go out and meet people, and there is ALWAYS a handful of things to do (and they are free half the time too). When I ask my co-workers or people here what they do for fun, they hardly have an answer! I mean I can go only go shopping or see a movie so many times. And I don't consider a one-hour drive to LA "not that far", when I was used to having the beach, hiking, bars, and everything I wanted within a 15 minute drive to begin with. Its gets extremely hot in the summer, smoggy, and overall the way of life is a lot different.

My answer is that living in the Inland Empire is completely different than living in a big city! Especially when you are young and single. If you have friends out here and/or roommates your experience will probably be better than mine. I however do not plan on being here much longer and have a plan to move ASAP!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:47 AM

121 posts, read 290,063 times
@linda9263: excellent points and I agree with you spot on although comparing it to San Jose, it's almost exactly the same. I lived in San Jose for awhile and it's also god awfully boring unless you drive to SF which is an hour away.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:45 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpersignal View Post
@linda9263: excellent points and I agree with you spot on although comparing it to San Jose, it's almost exactly the same. I lived in San Jose for awhile and it's also god awfully boring unless you drive to SF which is an hour away.
Again, OP, just do it. You can always move in a couple of years or so. Better to have a cake without frosting than no cake at all. Besides, youth is SUPPOSED to be the time of starting out wherever, doing whatever. There are far worse places in the US than the IE to be doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties