Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:18 PM

18 posts, read 80,590 times

Advertisements

Where in Inland Empire is the best place to raise a family?

We are from Florida- family of 4, our children are preschoolers. Our 3.5 year old son is hard of hearing and prefers to use American Sign Language to communicate. He disqualified for special education service here in Florida. They would not place him in Deaf/Hard of Hearing classroom just because he passed kindergarten level at 3 year old. He got kicked out of daycare due to behavior problems (It's because he was frustrated). We want to raise our son in the deaf community and everyone pointed to Riverside. He qualified for California School for the Deaf and any California public schools that has deaf/hard of hearing mainstream programs.

I am a homemaker with a college degree in graphic design- Im trying to stay home with children until the youngest go to 1st grade. My husband works for FedEx as a courier and currently in online school for bachelor in computer science/ web developer and he will graduate next year. We were gonna wait to move until he graduate but our son really needs to start school in California ASAP. He is not progressing well here. We know the cost of living is ridiculously high and we are moving with wide eyes open. The goal is he transfer with FedEx. He will eventually get a job in his field. We are homeowners but plan to start out renting homes in California.

A bit of who we are- We LOVE anything that's involving water. Beaches, diving, sailing, surfing, on and on. We love music and wine. Oh yea, we like to take our dogs with us everywhere...

We are looking at Corona, Temecula, Riverside, Moreno Valley and rest of Inland Empire.
Which city is best for kids activities, best school, shopping, crimes, and weather? (does it snow there?)
We understand it's best to live near where the job is at. My husband can transfer anywhere.. it would probably be more likely either in Corona or Temecula.

We were hoping for Temecula because it seems nice, good schools, weather, less smog, scenery, and friendly people. But the only cons I can think of is it seems remote. Most of our good friends are in Riverside and LA. And if our son goes to California School for the Deaf, then Temecula/Murrieta may not be such a good idea? I wouldn't mind the drive if it's around 30 miles but I'm not sure about the traffic? It is always that bad? But I was wondering is Temecula/Murrieta a "deaf friendly"? I would like for my son to interact with other hard of hearing or deaf kids his age if we live there. I also have a year old baby girl who hears fine.

Corona- I like the location, it seems center of everything. But I'm not sure of the crime? I don't know much about it. It is definitely closer to California school for the deaf. I also have to think about my daughter's future for her school too. She would have to go to a regular school since she hears normal. How's the weather there? School? Friendly people? Is there a lot things to do for young adults like us? Dog friendly- dog parks? And lot things to do for kids? Festivals?

West Coast is a whole new world for us Floridians who love warm water and we are little "bit" nervous but still we are very exciting.. We want what is best for our children and they come first. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 08:56 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,971 times
Temecula is an hour from San Diego proper, in non commute hours. It's also 30 miles to the city of Oceanside [north SD county] and its beaches, 45 to carlsbad (nicer city and more beaches). There's a good chance you'll drive to SD for amenities vs. LA. There are commuters living in Temecula, working in SD [I'm sure there are for LA, too].

Temecula is also a decent size city with amenities, so it's not remote per se. It's the local 'wine country' area for san diego. [vs. Santa Barbara for LA] The schools are very good. From what you've written, I think it's a good match. It can get a little cool in the Temecula valley in the winter, at night mainly. But not snow. Though that is just up the hill in Big Bear if you want it. (: It's dry, not humid like FLA. The summers are often touted as 'hotter' in Temecula b/c it's inland, but that's relative: They will probably not feel that hot to you, coming from FLA. The weather is quite comfortable year round (just hotter in the summer months), doesn't rain much-no storms or hurricanes to speak of.

I no nothing about Corona or the commute to Riverside from Temecula; if you planned the time of day that you travel, visiting friends in LA could be done in a day trip.

As far as dog parks, dog friendly, festivals, etc., google Temecula visitor center and Temecula chamber of commerce. And use the 'search' button on the upper right of this forum, to search past posts about this very topic. There's plenty of info available already on living in Temecula.

Good luck w/your move!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Riverside 92506 or 92508. You'll be near the CSDR.

No need to go to Temecula or Corona when you can get the same lifestyle in Riverside.

Riverside is about 45 minutes to Newport Beach on the weekends, when you use the toll road. You also have Lake Perris close by. An hour to LA.

It doesn't snow, but you can see it on the mountains to the north and east.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:48 AM

Thank you for your help! Riverside... Mmm! If my husband transferred to Corona and we live in Riverside- would the drive be not so bad ? I was hoping Temecula would be a winner. aw well. Sounds like Riverside fits us. We are very active people.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:50 AM

One thing I definitely will miss Flordia is the rain. We love dark clouds, thunder and hurricanes. I love humidity but my husband hates it. I've lived in North Hollywood for summer. Love the climate but I wasn't used to night chills ha. But I liked it. I think Florida and California have some things in common. I think the move will be smooth, I hope. It's not like we're moving to upstate New York which we would die from the freeze! We are too much of water people. We are pretty excited about the snow. We like the fact it's an easy drive to see the snow when we want it. One thing we are very excited about is being in the deaf/ hard of hearing community. I've met many strong deaf individuals from LA/Riverside and they are awesome. I want my son to not experience the isolation and audism but living among his peers feeling equal. He can hear well with his hearing aids and talk pretty well but he loves to sign. I want him to learn who he is at his own pace. He can decide that he is a hearing person with some hearing loss or he can embrace his identity as a Deaf individual. The Deaf community in Riverside is wonderful. But where we will live is a question we are trying to decide. Many deaf/hard of hearing people live all over the IE. my husband said he may get spots opening very soon for Corona/ Temecula and we are very eager to take it. Thank you all for your help!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:41 PM

61 posts, read 166,623 times
I can sign (not deaf), but notice when I see people signing around me. Riverside has the largest community of Deaf people I have seen in all of the 5 states I've lived in. I've seen people signing at the post office, the mall, the bookstore; I think with the California School for the Deaf in Riverside, many Deaf people move close to the area. I'd lived in Buffalo NY and people in the Deaf community had heard of Riverside, due to the reputation of the school!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:44 PM

61 posts, read 166,623 times
One thing I would caution you, try and find out what traffic your son will be facing getting to school in Riverside from Temecula, it might not look to far on the map, but if the traffic is bad driving time can triple. You don't want him spending 3 hours on a school bus, or you driving him every day

Old 02-12-2014, 01:09 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,457 times
Commute between Riverside & Corona is slowed down a lot in worker's traffic; you likely will have to take the 91 fwy which is also affectionately (haha) called a "parking lot". I'm not sure how much time is added with worker's traffic, but it's pretty much bumper to bumper the whole way.

When not in worker's traffic, it's not bad at all. I go to Corona on Sunday mornings a lot from downtown Riverside & it's an easy 20 minutes. Downtown is farther end of Riverside too, so there are much closer parts to Corona.

So you might be looking at anywhere from 15-40 minute commute depending on where in Riverside you settle (the west end is obviously much closer to Corona) & the time of day & traffic.

Traffic sucks in SoCal - so just go in knowing that & accept it. IMO, live as close to your job as you can afford. SoCal is better than many other places in many other ways, & that's pretty much why traffic sucks. Lots of people want to live here, there's proximity to sooo many good things, and everyone's driving to them.

Temecula is pretty nice. I grew up in nearby Menifee & went to school with some deaf kids & they seemed to have their needs met.
Riverside country school system is pretty good (I grew up here & I've worked for them, so I feel confident saying that). I live in Riverside now, but have lived in Temecula before, although I'm a single adult. I like both, but if I could afford Temecula & had my work there again, I think I'd choose Temecula. I only like Riverside because I'm in downtown & it's cheap & walkable. Otherwise, it's kind of spread out like a big, sprawling suburb & a lot dirtier than Temecula.

The downside to Temecula is that the commute to Corona is farther - about 35 minutes without traffic. You'd take the 15 fwy & it backs up in worker's traffic also. Commute from Temecula to Riverside is about 40 minutes - not in worker's traffic. Depends where in Riverside you're going though.

Riverside is closer to LA, but Temecula to San Diego. They're both about an hour drive to their closest big city. IMO, San Diego is gorgeous, but LA is more of a global city, and you just can't compare (yes, I prefer LA). Still, each is far enough drive that I personally wouldn't base decision on that as you're unlikely to go to either city all the time if you don't have work/friends/family there.

Quote:
Which city is best for kids activities, best school, shopping, crimes, and weather? (does it snow there?)
Temecula is a smaller city, but offers about the same in terms of shopping & family stuff. The nice part is it's less spread out.
Riverside does have more parks & probably more community stuff. But it's way more spread out. Temecula has the beautiful wine country, which is more for adult outings. Riverside has the funky downtown which kind of has a college vibe; not really a family place either. Both have all the typical suburban shopping & eateries & activities, but Temecula is probably known more for being a family-oriented town & Riverside for being a college city. Despite what they're known for, they offer about the same for a family, IMO.

Temecula probably has less crime. But as long as you're in a nice area of Riverside & don't join a gang , then crime isn't an issue either. Temecula generally looks cleaner & newer, but some parts of Riverside are just as nice.

Weather is about the same (no it doesn't snow - it's cool 60day/40night winter temps with many days in high 70s - and 80s lately - & hot 90/70 summer temps with a few heat waves in the 100s). Generally night temps drop bout 20-30 degrees in SoCal. That's great in summer! In winter, it can mean ice on your car if you park outside & once in a blue moon Temecula gets a snow flurry that does not last on the ground (and I mean like once every 10 years).

Temecula's a pleasant 30 minute drive to Oceanside's beach (except in traffic - more like 40 minutes). Not sure about the closest beach to Riverside (probably Huntington Beach), but I suspect it's farther. Basically, Temecula is closest to SD beaches & Riverside to OC beaches. There are nice beaches in both counties.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:39 AM

50 posts, read 76,057 times
If you or your loved ones enjoy partaking in crystal meth, then Riverside would be your best choice. Riverside is the crystal meth capital of the West coast.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinDealin View Post
If you or your loved ones enjoy partaking in crystal meth, then Riverside would be your best choice. Riverside is the crystal meth capital of the West coast.
oh for heavens sake. Todays capitol as you put it might be Riverside, tomorrow it will be Eastern OK. meth, like it or not is everywhere today. If a kids wants to do drugs, it makes no difference where they live and if they want to remain drug free the same thing.

Riverside will give you more of the urban life feel and Temecula a little more of the rural life, strictly due to the size of the cities. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties