Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 7,888 times

Advertisements

Hi. So, I'm moving to Apple Valley very soon from the East Coast and, well, from what I've read I've seen a lot about "Felony flats" and there being some budding gang issues and such. Being a new resident, knowing where to stay out of and such would be of big help to me, as would knowing some more about the surrounding schools.
What areas would you consider Felony Flats? For example, picking a random road, Winnebago Road, would that be considered part of Felony Flats? I'm going to be moving quite close to there and I don't know if I should be concerned about crime or what. I have a 14 year old son that will start school at Phoenix Academy in 8th grade and I'm worried about the influence on him, if the school is a bad school, and for example if he should worry about wearing distinct gang colours like red and blue? He doesn't want any part of the gangs but should he worry about wearing popular gang's colors, walking around at later hours or at all in that area and such? The area in question again is Winnebago Road or the couple streets around it. Are those part of what you call Felony Flats? And from the viewpoint of somebody living in Apple Valley, are gangs an issue? Same question with race, should adolescents stick with their own racial groups or is the racial tension in AV not bad? My son is white. From looking at Phoenix Academy's racial statistics half of the school is Hispanic, with the other half being split practically evenly between white and black, with little percentages of Asian or Islander. Thanks for the input if anybody does bother to reply, I get very paranoid about things like this and I'm not racist at all as a sidenote; but that doesn't mean that others aren't. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 AM

36 posts, read 72,339 times
Unfortunately that whole High Desert area does have that reputation. And sadly, a lot of it is true. There are nice suburbs in Victorville and neighboring cities, but Apple Valley MUST have a hidden gem of a place to live somewhere with the rep. that it has.

I also regret to stay but moving from the beauty of the East Coast to the high desert of southern California will be a rough transition. I moved to rancho from Vermont and though you find beauty, it's nothing like the simple life I was once used to.

BUT all pessimism aside, OWN it. Deal with the change and learn to appreciate it. : )

As for the race thing..... ya. The white people are a little different so to say there but a lot are wonderful... and there will be more hispanics than whites. Though that doesn't matter. Just a fact.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:55 AM

36 posts, read 72,339 times
BTW, i've never lived there but grew up 45 minutes away before I moved to Vermont and have been there a lot and know many from that area.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:51 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
We moved from beautiful Orange County to Apple Vally about eight years ago and love everything about it. One of my neighbor's is secretary to the principle at Phoenix Academy and has nothing but good things to say about the school. I'm not familiar with the street you mentions, or the school system in general since I'm retired and have no connection to schools.
Apple Valley is one of the nicer area in the high desert. Sure you can find crime anywhere, but I've never experienced any other than what I read about in the papers.
Don't be influenced by the stories you hear about from unhappy natives. There are some bad areas, but more good areas..
Find a good realtor and have them lead you to the good area. We live in a gated community and feel very safe. There are plenty of really nice areas all around us. You can find grat places to live here in AV.. Come on in, the water's fine...

Old 02-06-2014, 11:02 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Think Breaking Bad.

My cousin says he loves his acre of dirt, I used to love dirt biking in Hesperia many years back.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:24 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bird227 View Post
What areas would you consider Felony Flats?
Roughly, North of 18 between Corwin Rd and Central. Many of the streets have Indian names.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 10,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bird227 View Post
Hi. So, I'm moving to Apple Valley very soon from the East Coast and, well, from what I've read I've seen a lot about "Felony flats" and there being some budding gang issues and such. Being a new resident, knowing where to stay out of and such would be of big help to me, as would knowing some more about the surrounding schools.
What areas would you consider Felony Flats? For example, picking a random road, Winnebago Road, would that be considered part of Felony Flats? I'm going to be moving quite close to there and I don't know if I should be concerned about crime or what. I have a 14 year old son that will start school at Phoenix Academy in 8th grade and I'm worried about the influence on him, if the school is a bad school, and for example if he should worry about wearing distinct gang colours like red and blue? He doesn't want any part of the gangs but should he worry about wearing popular gang's colors, walking around at later hours or at all in that area and such? The area in question again is Winnebago Road or the couple streets around it. Are those part of what you call Felony Flats? And from the viewpoint of somebody living in Apple Valley, are gangs an issue? Same question with race, should adolescents stick with their own racial groups or is the racial tension in AV not bad? My son is white. From looking at Phoenix Academy's racial statistics half of the school is Hispanic, with the other half being split practically evenly between white and black, with little percentages of Asian or Islander. Thanks for the input if anybody does bother to reply, I get very paranoid about things like this and I'm not racist at all as a sidenote; but that doesn't mean that others aren't. Thanks for the help.
If you have already moved....get out!!! There is a huge racial issue. I moved out ASAP because thank god I was warned I was being targeted. I was living in the flats thinking it had improved. I am single white female and before I rented I asked if it was safe. NO!!!! I happen to know a few of the members from the past....only thing that saved me. my car was stolen....these members don't like whites...we are the minority. The area your speaking of it right there. There are many different gangs there. They are robbing, raping, killing all over. He needs to be very careful. Even if you stay to yourself...doesn't matter.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:57 AM

7 posts, read 27,838 times
North of Hwy 18 in the Rancherias area is a rough place, though it's not as bad as people make it sound. I lived in the High Desert for 41 years, and Apple Valley is a really nice town. If you can though, stay away from Adelanto. Since they put in several prisons there the criminal/gang type folks have moved in to be close to their inmate relatives. Only time I'd go to Adelanto was for work, or to Maverick's baseball games. (Loved the Mavericks)

Old 05-25-2014, 08:29 PM

154 posts, read 230,166 times
I looked at a real estate site and they have a crime map also. Here's the link, if it's allowed:
15664 Winnebago Road, Apple Valley CA - Trulia
You can zoom out using the minus sign on the map.
West of Winnebago Rd. doesn't look too good.
What I didn't understand was some of the crimes were "theft of water".
What do people do- turn on your garden hose and fill up water jugs?
The reason I looked up Apple Valley is because a woman just stabbed to death two pit bulls that were loose and attacked her and her dogs as she was walking them.

Last edited by mjazz; 05-25-2014 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: more information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties