Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:22 PM

7 posts, read 7,934 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I live in SB and we recently decided to move to a better location because we are starting a family. She teaches and I consult and usually work from home, but 2-3 times im in La Puente for work (stable). Ideally, we would like a place where we can lay down some roots and grow into a house.

I have always loved the architecture of the LaVerne-Glendora houses, it just seems though for our budget @400k or so the houses are kind of shanty and we might as well stay in SB until the kids are age appropriate for schooling.

We visited the wineries in Temecula a few years ago and really like the city. Its more affordable than LA county out and the schools seem good too.

Things that we are looking for in a house: 4 bedroom,square footage of lot, awesome schools and great place to raise a family

My question is, will we be in that much better of an area/schools/house @400k (more or less) in Temecula rather than the LaVerne-Glendora homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 11:14 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,018,776 times
Temecula is pretty nice in many ways, but the traffic is horrid! I have not lived there, but you will get more house for the $. I'll leave it to someone that lives there to weigh in on that location.

I grew up in Glendora and go there often as my mom still lives there. The community is very stable. On my mom's street more than half the people living there are the same ones that lived there 40 years ago when I was a child. On Christmas I get to visit with all the kids I grew up with along with their kids. The ones that are gone are mainly due to death/old age, with one divorce on our street, one job transfer. It is the kind of place that people tend to stay forever. That said, I would not recommend it for a diverse family. Look at the demographics, and if you do not 'fit' in, then you will not fit in that community. It is mostly white, upper to middle class, the Mormon church is highly attended, republican, etc. It is a nice, safe community to live in and raise kids. Though a liberal, mixed race person likely would not be happy there.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback lae

The traffic is something i worry about as all my family lives in the SGV and my wifes in Rancho. Interesting what you said about 'fitting' in Glendora, i had no idea it was like that.

I recently started looking in certain areas of Riverside and i must say i love the ranch style/classic styling of the houses at the price, but im not sure if it can offer what the others areas do as far as education and in the case of Temecula, a great place to live for a youngster

Old 02-14-2014, 12:07 AM

13,825 posts, read 29,837,620 times
Stay in the 210/10/60 corridor. Temecula isn't worth that drive IMO.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:16 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,839,653 times
I think most of the really stuffy, conservative whites in Glendora are up "above" Foothill Blvd. They are likely the people with older money and more family roots in the Glendora area.

The residents in the more modest areas south of Foothill are actually quite diverse and down-to-earth. Still very safe and "stable" (as described above), no matter where in Glendora.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:21 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,087,925 times
Glendora is tranquil and very nice in the foothills, but beware, bears and other animals walk into your back yard if you back into the woods/mountains. My only issue with the area is the air quality.

Who cares about politics, race, and religion. Live where you want to.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:56 PM

26,641 posts, read 26,579,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Raber View Post
Things that we are looking for in a house: 4 bedroom, square footage of lot, awesome schools
Glendora north of the 210 is served by Glendora Unified, south of it, it's Charter Oak USD, which ranks considerably below GUSD. La Verne schools are supposed to be fairly good. I don't know much about Temecula's public schools.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

La Verne is the city we fell in love with and wanted to move to, until we started to look at home prices out there. Glendora seems a bit cheaper and i will look north of the 210 due to the school district.

Temecula seems like an option, but really need to do some thinking about such a big migration (for my wife and I personally).

Old 02-15-2014, 11:11 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,375,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I think most of the really stuffy, conservative whites in Glendora are up "above" Foothill Blvd. They are likely the people with older money and more family roots in the Glendora area.
Foothill? Puhleese!

North of Bennett

Old 02-15-2014, 11:28 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,839,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Foothill? Puhleese!

North of Bennett

You mean above Bennett.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties