Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 06:31 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times

Advertisements

I live in San Bernardino county & would love to take the Metrolink for the day sometime, but I hate being stranded on foot when I get to my destination. What cool, interesting places could I get off the Metrolink at that doesn't take a lot of walking to get to?

I'm in to shopping, dining, museums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 07:05 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
I remember taking the train from Pomona to LA before there was even a 'Metrolink'. Had relatives visiting from Michigan, so we took the train and visited Olvera Street. IIRC, it's just across the street from Union Station, in the middle of a park with other stuff to look at.

San Juan Capistrano Mission is within walking distance of the SJC Metrolink station.

Go to Metrolink destinations, and see what they suggest!

Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,625 times
I have taken the train from San Bernardino to Union Station to walk to Olvera St. and a little farther walk will take you to Chinatown.
They used to do a food truck rodeo on the first Sunday of the month at Union Station, but I don't know if they do that anymore.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 PM

10 posts, read 16,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I live in San Bernardino county & would love to take the Metrolink for the day sometime, but I hate being stranded on foot when I get to my destination. What cool, interesting places could I get off the Metrolink at that doesn't take a lot of walking to get to?

I'm in to shopping, dining, museums.
On my leisure time I've frequented Olvera Street, and even walked north or south on Alemeda to both Chinatown and Little Tokyo respectively. I've walked to Pershing Square in the past, though I wouldn't advise it to anyone.

It should also be of note that your Metrolink ticket doubles as a Transit Access Pass to other modes of transit such as Metro and Dash. This would greatly broaden your travels.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:43 PM

OP here.

Thanks guys. Yeah, Olvera Street is all I could really think of too, which I don't particularly care for. I have a perfectly good car, I was just trying to think of somewhere to go that could save my car of a bit of gas, yet give me a different change of scenery.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:50 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboThePunk View Post
It should also be of note that your Metrolink ticket doubles as a Transit Access Pass to other modes of transit such as Metro and Dash. This would greatly broaden your travels.
Yes, your Metrolink ticket to LA County acts as a day pass for Metro Rail, Metro buses, and many municipal bus systems in LA County (Foothill Transit, Long Beach Transit, Glendale Beeline, etc)... so once you get off the Metrolink at Union Station, you can transfer directly to the Red Line subway or Gold Line light rail, and beyond for free.

Tap your paper Metrolink ticket at any Metro Rail turnstile/validator and it will work.

On the Gold Line, you can go all the way to Pasadena or East LA. On the Red Line, you can go all the way to North Hollywood or transfer to the Expo Line to Culver City or the Blue Line to Long Beach. We have a really extensive public transportation system in LA County, and Metrolink riders can ride free to anywhere on the system for a day.

See:
Transit Connections | Metrolink

Quote:
In Los Angeles County, the EZ transit pass program allows Metrolink riders with valid Metrolink tickets unlimited free rides on participating operators' local services - any time, any day, any station, any direction of travel. Local service includes all Metro Rail routes and stations, Metro Rapid bus and Metro Local bus. An additional fare for express services may be required (e.g. Metro Silver Line).
EZ transit pass travel does not require a direct transfer between Metrolink and connecting bus and rail lines. Remember, your Metrolink ticket must be for today’s date to be valid for travel on any of the participating EZ transit pass operators’ local services, but the time limits on One-Way and Round-Trip Metrolink tickets don’t apply to connecting EZ transit pass services. Ticket time limits are only for your trip onboard Metrolink trains.
Quote:

As part of the EZ transit pass program, your Metrolink ticket can be used for unlimited rides on all of the Metro Rail services in Los Angeles County including:
  • Metro Red Line to Wilshire/Western and North Hollywood: Use your Metrolink ticket to ride to and from all the stations along the Metro Red Line.
  • Metro Blue Line to Long Beach: Ride free with your Metrolink ticket all the way to Long Beach and back.
  • Metro Green Line to LAX/El Segundo: At the Norwalk Metrolink station, Metrolink ticket holders may board the City of Norwalk’s Route #4 and ride free to the Norwalk Green Line station. Transfers to/from all Metro Green Line stations and on Metro buses serving the Green Line stations are included in your Metrolink ticket.
  • Metro Gold Line to Pasadena: Board the Metro Gold Line at Union Station and ride free all the way to Pasadena.
  • Metro Expo Line to Culver City.
  • Metro Orange Line: Board the Metro Orange Line at Chatsworth Station and ride all the way to North Hollywood
TAP-enable Metrolink paper tickets:
http://thesource.metro.net/2013/05/1...its-customers/
Quote:
Metrolink and Metro have worked collaboratively to create a Metrolink ticket that is compatible with the Metro TAP system. TAP-enabled tickets will be dispensed from Metrolink Ticket Vending Machines (TVMs) to allow passage through Metro’s turnstiles leading to Metro rails lines and stations.
All Metrolink tickets with Los Angeles County destinations will be TAP-compatible, and all riders will be required to physically tap their tickets at the turnstiles and validators when transferring to a Metro Rail line. When boarding a bus, the current policy of simply showing the bus operator your Metrolink ticket will still be in effect. Tapping is not required on buses.

Last edited by genjy; 03-09-2014 at 02:21 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 04:23 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
I took the Metrolink from SB to Oceanside a couple times - there's more than enough to do around the station in Oceanside to take up a few hours.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:13 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
We took the train from Fullerton to San Diego for the weekend once. Rented a car there and had a great time. Bought some things at an antique shop and then had to go back to pick them up a couple weeks later. We did it for an adventure, we have good cars and it's cheaper to drive, but sometimes you have to do something different.
Bought a car in San Diego one time, took the train from Anaheim and drove the car home...

Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 PM

Donn2390, yes, I'm taken the Amtrak train from (I believe) Fullerton to San Diego too for a fun ladies' trip. We went to a pro tennis tournament & shopped. We had rented a car in SD too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties