Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:06 AM

48 posts, read 98,535 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide the reasons why homes in Menifee and Sun City seem extremely inexpensive? The houses I have researched online so far look very cute & cozy...

In example: bad schools? Crime? Major traffic or smog issues? Lack of jobs? Far from basic amenities like grocery stores, malls, hospitals?

Any information is much appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 05:17 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWE2007 View Post
Can anyone provide the reasons why homes in Menifee and Sun City seem extremely inexpensive? The houses I have researched online so far look very cute & cozy...

In example: bad schools? Crime? Major traffic or smog issues? Lack of jobs? Far from basic amenities like grocery stores, malls, hospitals?

Thanks!
No major problems, that I can see. I live in Riverside, but my wife's mother lives in Menifee, so we're there a lot.

Menifee is only 20 mins from Temecula, which is obviously very developed, and 20 mins the other way from Riverside. Menifee itself is filling in. There's big shopping centers on either side of the 215 at Newport, and "coming soon" signs all over the place announcing new businesses.

If we were a young couple looking for a house, I wouldn't hesitate to check out the new construction. The only real issue is the long work commute if your job is in LA, Orange, or lower SD Co.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWE2007 View Post

Thanks!
Just wanted to add: Sun City is the older town on the west side of the freeway. It's a retirement community for 55+. Technically, it's part of the City of Menifee, but not an area where I'd look for a house.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:47 PM

48 posts, read 98,535 times
Thank you both!!! I am noticing 55+ on a lot of the listings

Old 03-21-2014, 12:02 AM

486 posts, read 831,972 times
Almost everyone I know who lives Menifee has to commute for 2-3 hours a day for work.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
Almost everyone I know who lives Menifee has to commute for 2-3 hours a day for work.
If they work in LA and Orange Cos, and you mean both coming and going times... then you're probably right.

On the bright side, they are extending Metrolink, with a new station under construction in Perris. I have a feeling that's going to be a busy place.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 PM

16 posts, read 17,967 times
Dont lie there are no jobs here you must commute to L.A. or San Diego depending on the field of work you are in. It is a nice community for seniors or families, or people who work labor jobs. Mostly, I have had a few problems the short time I have been here with crime so I would not say there is no crime here. However it is low.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandywinne View Post
Dont lie there are no jobs here you must commute to L.A. or San Diego depending on the field of work you are in. It is a nice community for seniors or families, or people who work labor jobs. Mostly, I have had a few problems the short time I have been here with crime so I would not say there is no crime here. However it is low.
This is true, unemployment in the IE is among the highest in the state right now.

Which means commuting to the major job markets in LA, ORANGE, or SD Cos., which are 90 mins or more from Menifee, is tough. Hence, the low prices for new houses.

BUT- If you CAN swing a job in Riverside, Corona, MV, SB, Rancho Cucamonga, Murrieta, Temecula, etc etc... then looking for a house in Menifee makes good sense.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:05 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Just wanted to add: Sun City is the older town on the west side of the freeway. It's a retirement community for 55+. Technically, it's part of the City of Menifee, but not an area where I'd look for a house.
It started out as a 55+ in 1960 (built by DelWebb)

No longer.
There are plenty of families with children under the age of 18 .
All who seem to ride skateboards.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
It started out as a 55+ in 1960 (built by DelWebb)

No longer.
There are plenty of families with children under the age of 18 .
All who seem to ride skateboards.
I know most of Menifee is for families, but the part that is "Sun City", the neighborhood west of the 215 at McCall- aren't there still C&Rs restricting buyers to 55+?

That's my mother-in-law's neighborhood, Sun City Blvd and Pebble Beach. When she moved there ten years ago, the age restriction was in place. In fact, it was what she was looking for.

There are no families there, just seniors. Maybe your seeing their grand kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties