Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTodd View Post
- The climate consistency. In Houston it can be a monsoon one minute and then sweltering desert temperatures the next. Palm Springs is consistently hot and sunny. San Diego is always gorgeous. So is Los Angeles (and the surrounding counties). I am not big on seasons so I love that about it.
This is the first time I've ever seen the words "Houston" and "desert" in the same sentence. Houston is hot and humid, but desert temperatures, nope. Houston will never get to 120, and for that I'm sure they are eternally grateful.

Quote:
- The diversity and live and let live mentality. I'm a young African American gay guy who is also an atheist. In Texas I'm a unicorn. In California I can meet at least 15 people like me.
Not even in Montrose? I'm as boring-looking as a gay guy can be, and not more than 20 feet from that bizarre scupture in Montrose, guys were offering me drugs - so you can't be THAT isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 04:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,234 times
I totally agree!! There is no place like Socal. I was born and raised there, moved to LV in 1990, moved back to CA in 2007, came back to NV last year, because I listened to my husband, big mistake. I hate it here! No place is like CA! I feel it's better for everything. I know it's expensive, but it's worth it. San Diego is where I'd be if I could afford the area. I don't know if I could afford to go back. My husband quite a good job!! I've been looking in to E. Tenn, but not sure about that. Sometimes when you make a mistake, you just can't go back.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:35 PM

455 posts, read 771,636 times
Quote:
I feel the same way as well, which is why I am making 2015 the year I finally relocate to California, permanently.

What I love about it?
- The climate consistency. In Houston it can be a monsoon one minute and then sweltering desert temperatures the next. Palm Springs is consistently hot and sunny. San Diego is always gorgeous. So is Los Angeles (and the surrounding counties). I am not big on seasons so I love that about it.
- The diversity and live and let live mentality. I'm a young African American gay guy who is also an atheist. In Texas I'm a unicorn. In California I can meet at least 15 people like me.
- The scenery...of course. Between lovely architecture, the mountains, topography, and etc...There is a lot there to inspire you.
- The people - I love Californians. I love the vibe that they all have, laid back and not rushed (except for people that live in LA). Whenever I meet a California transplant I get into these in depth conversations about the state.
- I'm a creative type. And I always feel at my most inspired in California.

Yeah, I know there are just as many cons about California living as their are pros...But the pros made it so worth it for me.

Whenever I come back to Houston from California I always feel inspired and renewed. Yeah, I chock it up to being on vacation but I went to Washington, DC earlier this year and absolutely hated it.

The state of California really suits me...

So now I am pretty much in the early stages of packing and I am hoping to find a job either in Riverside or San Diego within the next six months. Once that happens I am going to SoCal and never looking back...

No offense Texas. But I am ready to spend the rest of my life on the coast.
Good for you! Houston has always been the armpit of Texas - A dirty cow town with mediocre entertainment options, endless sprawl, high crime rates, and oppressive humidity. The city beautiful movement definitely missed Houston and most of SE Texas.

Houston really lacks history, and character. The humidity in Houston from May through the middle of October is extreme and downright oppressive, especially compared to other parts of the country where it cools down in the evenings and the humidity and temps are much lower.

Houston was ranked as the second most boring city in the world and anyone who's had broad exposure to other large U.S. cities (LA, SF, NYC, Seattle, etc) will likely find Houston hard to stomach.

Most tedious cities and Houstons ranked No. 2? | The Alief Post

Old 08-09-2014, 12:46 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,126 times
Wow finally going back to california that is awesome ghosted. Other plces are horribly racist. My daughter has a hard time in portland of all places now and cannot wait to leave. So the amou t of time you have spent in california is the 7 months right? Where is your origin? I tyhink everyone I have known who went tomissouri aside from one couldn't stand it. The ground is rock hard to supposedly so I am not sure what they grow

Last edited by coltoncity; 08-09-2014 at 12:54 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 01:23 PM

147 posts, read 217,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Wow finally going back to california that is awesome ghosted. Other plces are horribly racist. My daughter has a hard time in portland of all places now and cannot wait to leave. So the amou t of time you have spent in california is the 7 months right? Where is your origin? I tyhink everyone I have known who went tomissouri aside from one couldn't stand it. The ground is rock hard to supposedly so I am not sure what they grow
I grew up a majority of my life in Wichita Kansas. You know the state where you can stand on one side of the state and a friend on the other and you can see each other. I lived in Florida as well for 5 years and absolutely hated it. I have been in Missouri for about 3 years now and it has been an eye opener and a culture shock even for me had grown up in the Midwest. Ive been all over including upstate New York and Pennsylvania when I was very young and don't really remember much. California just felt right and it seemed like I belonged and felt like home. It's where my wife is originally from and where all her family is. We can't wait.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:36 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,126 times
Ya I lived in florida for 8 yrs when I was growing up and yuck. Never been back. Lol I wonder how far you really can see in kansas and for me, I always wanted to go back to new england but my kids are settled so I am staying. Good luck to you and your wife! Iam not big on riverside and think SD is nice. Try and get toward the coast and the temps are great. Inland is HOTTT!

Old 08-09-2014, 07:03 PM

147 posts, read 217,439 times
Thanks Coltoncity. Yes we plan on going to San Diego with her family but if we end up more inland I know for a fact it's hotter here in misery with the humidity.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:22 PM

352 posts, read 570,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I'm pretty sure there are quite a few people who left California, miss it, and are hoping to make their way back someday.
So true. No lie...I meet at least one Californian nearly every week, who moved Texas because its "cheaper", and now wishes to move back to CA.

Just my observation.

Last edited by USNomad; 08-09-2014 at 07:35 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 07:30 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
So true. No lie...I meet at least one native Californian nearly every week, who moved Texas because its "cheaper", and now wishes to move back to CA.

Just my observation.
I'm not a native Californian and I had to move to Texas for work because I got laid off in CA, but I do hope to come back to CA someday. Dallas is a hotbed of crazy.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:34 PM

352 posts, read 570,121 times
[quote=Alpha_Dog;36004926] anyone who's had broad exposure to other large U.S. cities (LA, SF, NYC, Seattle, etc) will likely find Houston hard to stomach.

I agree, I moved from AZ to H-Town because it was allegedly the "it" place for jobs, and only lasted 8 months. The summer heat and high dew points killed my spirit. Not a great place for an outdoorsy person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties