Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:17 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get back to Palm Springs in a year or so. I got laid off there and left to take a job in Texas. I do love the much lower cost of living here in TX, but the intangibles like sunshine 350 days a year and geography that's second to none make me homesick for the CV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:34 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Wow, this post is a pretty refreshing contrast to the constant strands of people venting about California and declaring everywhere else as paradise.

I do miss Houston. I miss living in newness, new roads, new shopping centers, new apartments/houses/parks and having personal space. I also miss the affordability factor, but once I figured out how to get ahead on the pay game here with teaching, I got back most of the standard of living I had in Houston and now I'm able to save a good chunk every month for when I'm ready to step up to nicer digs. So it took me a few years here in LA to get my ship back to right, but now I love it. Now I look at the pay scales for the districts in Texas and think, "gosh I'd lose a lot of money and benefits."

So yes, we have our problems out here in California, but if you have a good education and high demand skills then you really can live the good life here.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:43 PM

147 posts, read 217,316 times
Thanks for all the great replies. I guess people vent about California because maybe they haven't left to another state so they can see how bad it is in other places, like here in Missouri. I can't get myself to like the culture and the people here they're so different and too country for me.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:55 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Ghosted, take a look at my thread on this topic: //www.city-data.com/forum/orang...r-leaving.html

Please read it and see if anything resonates. Feel free to share. I WILL NEVER LEAVE CALIFORNIA AGAIN UNLESS IT IS IN A CASKET!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:00 PM

147 posts, read 217,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Ghosted, take a look at my thread on this topic: //www.city-data.com/forum/orang...r-leaving.html

Please read it and see if anything resonates. Feel free to share. I WILL NEVER LEAVE CALIFORNIA AGAIN UNLESS IT IS IN A CASKET!
I will definitely check it out. Looks like exactly what I am dealing with right now. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
I'd rather live almost anywhere in Riverside, especially South West Riverside as compared to most of the East Coast.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:23 PM

219 posts, read 448,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I'd rather live almost anywhere in Riverside, especially South West Riverside as compared to most of the East Coast.

We loved Riverside and would buy back our house if we could At least we're making progress with moving back to CA from PA. I'm SO looking forward to sunshine and WARMTH!!

I understand what Timtem is saying about TX being more cost-efficient to live but I could not feel at home with the terrain and the constant heat and humidity all year around. That's why I never liked Florida either.

I guess you have to take the good and the bad no matter where you live and decide what's more important.

At least this time when we go back to CA we can pick and choose where we want to live and when we want to be on the roads or not because we're retired and our time is our own

Old 05-22-2014, 01:41 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Texas isn't *that* humid, but then again, compared to where I was in Palm Springs, a week-old piece of wheat bread has more moisture! I'll take 110 with 4% humidity any day.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:53 PM

219 posts, read 448,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Texas isn't *that* humid, but then again, compared to where I was in Palm Springs, a week-old piece of wheat bread has more moisture! I'll take 110 with 4% humidity any day.
Haha...right now, Victoria, TX (where we use to live) is 87* with 49% humidity....and it's only May YUK!!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:46 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Some of y'all are going to the wrong places when you leave CA.

That being said, some of us can never adjust to life outside of its borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties