Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times

Advertisements

Murf! Who knew you were so "highbrow" ... living in IW and all!!! Please don't tell me you're in the Vintage!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 PM

581 posts, read 921,144 times
Not in the Vintage. We bought in the IW Country Club. Cheap gate fee and no HOA fees. Great house with terrific views. Really good to hear from you. There's a whole bunch of newbie experts posting on this forum these days!

Old 07-07-2014, 04:02 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
[quote=mysticaltyger;35500556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan757vb View Post

If you were born in 1982 or later, you are definitely GenY/Millennial.

X for sure in my case.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:52 AM

10 posts, read 26,330 times
I've lived in the Coachella Valley since 1986. Worked in Palm Springs most of the time, but mainly lived in Palm Desert, which was experiencing tremendous growth at the time. We lived in Palm Springs for about six months so I could be close to work. Ugh, never again!!!

Palm Springs sucks. It has deteriorated that entire time. There is nothing to do in Palm Springs. There was very little back in the 80's but it was bearable. Now, there is NO shopping unless you want to play tourist down Palm Canyon.

Palm Springs is NO place for families. PLEASE do not take your children there. Go first, see what you think and DECIDE FOR YOURSELF.

A lot of people say they are going to Palm Springs, but actually mean Rancho Mirage, or Palm Desert, Indian Wells, etc. It's like going to L.A., could be any nearby city. Visiting presidents and dignitaries use to stay at the Annenberg Estate in Rancho Mirage. O'bama recently stayed at a private residence (I heard, and definitely NOT Palm Springs.)

Any surrounding city, north of I-10 is much more appealing. Rent for a year, then decide what area suits you best. They all have their pluses and minuses.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:15 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlover14 View Post
Palm Springs is NO place for families. PLEASE do not take your children there.
An incredibly wild and biased generalization if I ever heard one. I know a lot of families and a lot of children who live in Palm Springs and they're just fine.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:49 PM

rah62,

My comment was based on my personal experience during the time I lived in Palm Springs. The apartment complex we lived in had one family with three children. They could not wait to get out of Palm Springs and wanted out so badly, the mother was tearful constantly. Perhaps they passed on a "wild and biased generalization" to us.

Oops, you left out the rest of the statement........

Nice to meet ya!!!

Old 07-18-2014, 05:38 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
rah62,

My comment was based on my personal experience during the time I lived in Palm Springs. The apartment complex we lived in had one family with three children. They could not wait to get out of Palm Springs and wanted out so badly, the mother was tearful constantly. Perhaps they passed on a "wild and biased generalization" to us.

Oops, you left out the rest of the statement........

Nice to meet ya!!!
So your sweeping generalization about an entire city was based on one family in one apartment complex.

Wow.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:52 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Any surrounding city, north of I-10 is much more appealing.
Tell me you don't mean like Desert Hot Springs.

Desperate Hot Springs by Steven Greenhut, City Journal 5 December 2013

Old 07-19-2014, 02:46 AM

nightlysparrow,

Big OOPS!!!! I meant south of I-10. SOUTH!!

On a side note, since I just recently found this forum. The warm and friendly response I have received to just a few posts is overwhelming. I now understand why this forum is basically dead.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:12 AM

Bryan,

These other posts I read may be helpful to you. I did not write them, but they seem to be more acceptable on this forum.:

Be careful. The homeless problem in PS (at least when I was there a couple years ago) was centered around Ramon & Sunrise, with folks crossing back and forth across Sunrise to hang out in the park by the stadium. There was a rash of people being hit by cars crossing either Sunrise or Ramon - granted, not all homeless people - so the city tried to put up signs reminding people to use crosswalks. I'm not sure if that worked.

It is a gay mecca to the point that sometimes it seems you see more gay couples than straight on Palm Canyon Boulevard. It has many bars and restaurants. There are 3 hospitals in the area: Desert, Eisenhower and JFK in Indio. Can't advise you on jobs.

In your 30's, you will find it a bit hard to integrate into a social circle unless you're OK socializing with couples considerably older than you *or* May-December couples. Couples your age are a bit harder to find.

I'd move to dream homes. It's close to the airport, but not in the flight path LOL

We are leaning more on the La Quinta, but still will be making time to head down there to see the areas and home for ourselves. So much to consider!!!! DHS is definitely out of the question... Want a nice tranquil place to raise my three kids with good schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties