Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 12:06 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Hesperia has gang issues, you would be better off in Crestline than Hesperia with children of color. Not trying to be racist or hurt feelings, but your kids will have a much harder time in Hesperia.

And if you are not desperate to move RIGHT NOW, you will find a lot of more affordable rentals in the Fall. Many of the rentals go to weekly rentals during this time of the year because Crestline, and all the mountain range, is considered a vacation resort and folks come here for a week or two at a time during the Summer. And the larger homes are ore likely to become vacation rentals by the week as several families may share the rental.

If you are not working with anyone, you might want to call Cozy Cabins (google them) as they do rentals as well as sale homes and they will tell you the truth about the areas. Some of the other rental/realtors are not as honest. And I have nothing to do with them, just know their reputation and have a neighbor who works for them. and they have had several larger rental properties.
"children of color" ???

Are we in the 1930s again? Last time I checked, everyone has a "color", not just certain people

There's nothing wrong with Hesperia. You might actually like Apple Valley a little bit better, though? Spring Valley Lake in Victorville is nice too. If budget is not a major issue, look at Upland and Rancho Cucamonga or North Fontana. Only thing is, it can get pretty windy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 12:51 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,072 times
Kttam,

I do not think that you read the whole thread, money is an issue for the OP. There are many great safe areas of CA if someone has a large housing budget. The OP said that they did not. But they do want a safe community to live in.

I used the children of color phrase because I did not want to identify certain, and several, races that could have issues, and basically that would be all non-whites. My kids have very dark skin, dark hair and eyes that look black they are so dark. They are not African American, but Central American Indian. Their skin is darker than many African Americans, and most people are clueless on identifying their race. The would have a rough time in Hesperia, the gangs target races, and unless one is in a gang, the non-Caucasian kids are especially targeted and are not safe. I am VERY sensitive to placing my non-white kids in those types of situations and just wanted to let the OP know that there could be an issue. If you do not have a non-white kids you care about, you likely do not notice, but once you do, it is clear. I actually worked in Barstow and chose to live in Crestline and commute over an hour just so my children were not put in a situation where they did not have to join a gang or get beat up and be friendless.

I said I was not trying to be a racist, just to give accurate information to the OP who is not close enough to go visit for a week. And being from PA will not know much about the gangs in CA.

And I am not trying to put down anyone's favorite area, just give a view for the OP to consider in evaluating their potential move. And I am not trying to rah-rah where I live, I also told of the bad there too. No place is perfect.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:06 PM

This is old, but it has only gotten worse.

High Desert gang enforcement team: "You name it, we got it," - Crimeshots© True Crime Forums

This page lists the crime statistics and compares them to the nationwide ones and identifies the known gangs, which are ones that do not do well in non-white interactions:

http://www.insideprison.com/city_cri...=92415&stateID=

HESPERIA Regional Gangs

These gangs are why I would not have a child of color or non-white child or what ever identification you want to use live in Hesperia, and I think the OP will understand the issue.

And again, I am not trying to offend, just provide information. Sometimes race/color/etc need to be discussed.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:18 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Kttam,

I do not think that you read the whole thread, money is an issue for the OP. There are many great safe areas of CA if someone has a large housing budget. The OP said that they did not. But they do want a safe community to live in.
Lesson for the OP: you can't come to California with high expectations and demands on a budget. It's not going to work.

You have to look into what's available or don't bother. There are native Californians and lifelong Californians living on a budget and they don't get to pick where they want to live. That's just reality.

If you can't find what you want in California, try Phoenix, Arizona.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 PM

16 posts, read 50,179 times
Honestly, I understood and appreciate lae60 advice and honesty. I purposedly identified my family's ethnicity in this thread because I know that the gang issue is huge in California and the smaller your budget is, the more chances you'll have to live in a crappy gang ridden place in California.

Now...it is messed up for kttam to say that "if we're on a budget we shouldn't come to California as there are 'native Californians that don't get thay luxury"?
What does that have to do with me or my family?

We got certain moves that we are making and that is why we need to be in California...but while we get settled we are trying to stay on a smaller housing budget in order to have better options later.

Not that I have to explain myself, but I take offense at the way you put things. I mean, if you read the whole thread you will notice that I mentioned already living in Yuma AZ for 3 yrs...so I am well aware as to what Arizona and Phoenix has to offer.

I appreciate every bit of information provided to me because I can not go and scope these places out myself.

I'm not moving next week or even next month, so I still have time to plan and do as much research as I can in order to get the most for my buck.

Gangs, of any kind are a HUGE deal breaker for me. I rather deal with a 'possible' break in (that might not happen) than deal with racist gangs that target and recruit children.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,459 times
Here's some info on Redlands:

Redlands Schools - Redlands California School Ratings - Public and Private

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-29-2014, 08:27 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
To the OP, Hesperia is in the desert, it gets very hot in the summer, windy in winter, and it does have a crime, gang and drug problem. I lived over 20 years in San Bernardino county so I am very familiar with all of it.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 AM

16 posts, read 50,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
To the OP, Hesperia is in the desert, it gets very hot in the summer, windy in winter, and it does have a crime, gang and drug problem. I lived over 20 years in San Bernardino county so I am very familiar with all of it.
Thank you so much for the info. It is appreciated. The heat doesn't bother us.
We lived in Yuma for 3 yrs. Doesn't get hotter than that.

What do you know about Helendale?

Old 06-30-2014, 08:31 PM

Helendale is desert so it will be hot and its pretty rural. You would have to drive to one of the local gang infested ghettos for groceries--Barstow, Adelanto, Victorville, etc. unless you grocery shop at 7-11 / Circle K type stores.

It is one of the more safe desert areas. You would be 2+ hours to LA, so not commutable daily, but fine for occasional visits.

Silver Lakes is the most popular area so I will write about that area. There are 2 artificial lakes that are basically like a hand with narrow fingers. They allow boating/fishing on the 2 lakes. North Lake is the more desirable. A while ago during the housing boom many, many bus loads of Korean folks were driven there and they bought up lots of homes at inflated prices and the realtors rented then out for the Korean land owners. When the bust happened, the houses were not rentable or saleable, so you may be able to get a rental at a very low price. The homeowners association does have some rules, but they are livable. The HOA fees are high, so ask if you have to pay or the landlord. And ask about what area the house is located at--golf course area, lake area or horses area, to make sure you are not living next to the farm area or getting hit with golf balls if that matters to you. Many people seek those areas.

They have a nice beach and a very small, pretty expensive, not well stocked grocery store, a Mexican restaurant, gas station, a savings and loan and sandwich shop as I remember. Maybe a few other businesses in a small strip mall.

Most anything is 30 minutes away. I actually looked at homes in that area before choosing Crestline when I worked in Barstow. It was nice, but in the middle of the housing boom and way over priced for what it was, and I liked the idea of eating out with more choices than they had without a long drive.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:57 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
I agree with lae60's above post re Helendale & Silver Lake. Helendale is desert but small & rural. Accurate description of Silver Lake. If you could handle Yuma heat you can handle anything. Victorville is not all ghetto, I would not live there, but it has all the shopping you would need, or you could go a little further to San Bernardino (a scary enough place) or Riverside for shopping & medical.

San Bernardino Co. got slammed by the real estate boom/ bust of a few years back and never really recovered economically. Also, the LA gangster types started moving in, so all that made the whole area a little harder to live in. Some places are best to avoid. But I get that you want a better life for your kids. Keep asking questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties