Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,832 times

Advertisements

I'm an disabled Veteran who was laid off. I have a family of 4 and we're having trouble finding a place (house) to rent. We've sold our home and have substantial equity and could live off those proceeds for the next 7 years. We found a home but the landlord wanted 18 months up front plus a security deposit of $6K which he stated was non-refundable. This is due to my less than stellar credit. We have the money o pay all of this, but it seems excessive to me. I also was concern that all of this money was non-refundable. Anyone in this type of situation before and would appreciate some advise here. Can the perspective landlord do this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 02:23 PM

18 posts, read 19,492 times
is this a lease or month to month? I do not believe that the landlord is asking it legal Plus you have to be careful. There are still some people out there who sell or rent out foreclosed upon/abandoned home that they do not even really own. The tenant is then without their money and without a place to live...

Read this : Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs It will help you be more informed as to what a landlord can and cannot do, as well as tenants.

this one is specifically regarding deposits and deposits are just that, an advance payment towards unpaid rent and or damages. The landlord cannot say these are non-refundable. http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...-deposit.shtml

Personally, I would get what he said in writing, do not sign anything agreeing to rent/lease from him and then report him to the housing agency n the area and FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE to live; he sounds like a nightmare....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties