Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 07:31 PM

8 posts, read 9,039 times

Advertisements

We moved out of our house in March, 2014, after 4 years of renting. Did an in-person walkthrough with the Mrs. (the owner) before handing her the keys and the clickers. Asked her if everything was ok, if there were any concerns, and she said "It looks good to me!"

Husband emails me the next day with a scathing email of all the "damages" to the house for a total of $1463. Even by his outrageous and false claim, the remainder of the deposit would have been $537, which he never returned. Asked for it, never got it.

Sued in Small claims and was awarded judgment for $2020 plus costs...never paid me. Judge said he lost because he never gave me a list on the day of walkthrough and an opportunity to fix it (because there WERE no damages!!)

Today I get served a small claims action by them for $2635..not an appeal, a whole new suit. I guess the "damage" went up .... it's all a crock.

Tomorrow I'm going to file a countersuit to this new action telling the judge that landlord didn't APPEAL the first suit (because he couldn't win it), and hasn't paid it, and it looking to offset his (nonexistent) losses by using this alternative route.

I'm going to countersue for 3x the amount of the original judgment, $6060 for frivolous, reckless, and malicious prosecution. They have been landlords for many many years and know the law.

They really are bullies and count on intimidation and hoping you can't or won't show up!

Am I doing the right thing?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
You'll probably get more results/answers/opinions over in the Rental Forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties