Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,930 times

Advertisements

I've been going through this forum and got some information on both cities.

Any information on comparing them though would be greatly appreciated.

My husband along with our 3 children, 11, 9 and 7 months are looking into moving down to Southern Cal. We have narrowed it down to Menifee or Temecula/Murietta area. My husband is in law enforcement and is working on getting his transfer over. I'm planning on staying home with baby until she can start preschool, then I'd like to find a job in an education field (I have my AS in Early Education and am currently working on my BA in Early ED also). With that being said...

I'd like to know

*Hows the weather compared in both towns?

*Schools? I got missed findings when reading through this forum. My children would both be in middle school when we'd move.

*Common household stores? Distance? Variety in both towns?

*We live in Hawaii, so we'd have to transfer over our banking. Any suggestions or thoughts on banks or credit unions there?

*The hospitality of people? I don't want my Hawaiian looking children to go to the park or go to school and be looked at differently because we are brown colored (we had an issue with that, but it was in another state)

If you have any other compared information, please feel free to let me know-

Mahalo-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 AM

458 posts, read 1,262,833 times
See responses below

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinaniki View Post
I've been going through this forum and got some information on both cities.

Any information on comparing them though would be greatly appreciated.

My husband along with our 3 children, 11, 9 and 7 months are looking into moving down to Southern Cal. We have narrowed it down to Menifee or Temecula/Murietta area. My husband is in law enforcement and is working on getting his transfer over. I'm planning on staying home with baby until she can start preschool, then I'd like to find a job in an education field (I have my AS in Early Education and am currently working on my BA in Early ED also). With that being said...

I'd like to know

Very similar weather, dont think it is that different from Murietta to Temecula

*Schools? I got missed findings when reading through this forum. My children would both be in middle school when we'd move.

Schools are very good in both areas, I don't think one is better then the other

Depending on what parts of town you live in the stores are most likely very close. I live 2.5 miles from Stater bros, Albertsons, Sprouts, Ralphs, Walmart, CVS. Vons is about 6 miles from me in Southern part of Temecula. Pretty sure both citys have all of those stores

*We live in Hawaii, so we'd have to transfer over our banking. Any suggestions or thoughts on banks or credit unions there?

We bank with Chase, lots of options for banks or credit unions

*The hospitality of people? I don't want my Hawaiian looking children to go to the park or go to school and be looked at differently because we are brown colored (we had an issue with that, but it was in another state)

I don't think you would have an issue with that in Temecula, it is a fairly diverse area and most people seem pretty open. I am white so I can't exactly say what it is like to live here as a minority but I know I don't look are color of skin and am raising my daughter that way

If you have any other compared information, please feel free to let

We really like it here in Temecula, I can't speak for living in Murietta as I have never lived there but I don't think it is much diffferent

Mahalo-

Old 08-01-2014, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 9,930 times
Mahalo Danalysd-

Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
The weather in both places is practically the same, except that Menifee may get slightly hotter in the summer months. Menifee will be more affordable.

When it comes to demographics, both Menifee and Temecula/Murrieta are traditional Southern California suburbs: predominantly Caucasian with small Asian and Hispanic populations mixed in.

You probably won't have a problem there at all. I have Filipino relatives that live there and love it. The demographics are actually what make both communities very safe and desirable.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:06 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,694 times
I grew up in Menifee & lived in Temecula as an adult. I like Temecula the best, as it has more to do & is the prettiest. I dislike Murrieta, which is everything evil about a suburban town. Menifee is sort of charming but a but more isolated & less stuff to do.

The same. Anyone who tells you there is any noticeable difference is silly. There's 1-2 degree difference, at most. If it rains in one city, odds are, it will rain in the others. You can drive between them (which you will do more if you choose Menifee, as there is less stuff there) and not feel any change at all.

Murrieta has always had the worst rep of the three cities' schools. Otherwise, they're about the same. These communities are extremely similar, and Murrieta & Temecula are not really a separate area from Menifee. They are all "SouthWest Riverside County" and these 3 in particular, along with Wildomar, attract the same kind of people to live there.
The high schools may vary in what they offer though, or at least, when I went to HS in Menifee we had a lot less electives & other "amenities" than the other schools, which were older & more established. Granted, I graduated over a decade ago .

Temecula wins here. Menifee has the least options. Murrieta sprawls & is poorly laid out & it depends on what end of town you live at.

To my knowledge, Murrieta has had the most issues with racial discrimination in their schools, with the occasional black kid getting beaten to a pulp, but even that is probably rare & shocking because of it. Some years ago they had neo nazi rumblings, but maybe that has passed.
It's Southern California, so people are pretty open-minded about this stuff in general. These areas are still more white than anything, but it's getting more & more diverse as they grow.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,580 times
We moved to Menifee about a year and a half ago from Corona which is about 30 miles north. We actually wanted to find a house in Temecula but everything we looked at was a little above our budget. We only know Temecula from visiting, driving through and shopping and it's a really nice town. Some really beautiful areas (lots of small vineyards and such) and a great town pride that gives it it's own little community feel (as apposed to just another city...if that makes sense lol). Temecula is more established with pretty much any shopping/restaurants and regular entertainment you might look for already there. But as suggested earlier, housing is a littler higher because of all that.

The area of Menifee we moved to (just a little West of 215fwy off Newport) is going through a HUGE expansion right now both in new housing and especially in commercial properties. There is already a nice shopping center but plans are already in motion to build out quite a few other large centers bother in the same area and within a mile. So within the next 2-3 years I imagine a lot of the types of stores people might need to go to Temecula for, they will find here. Not saying Menifee doesn't already have a good number of great shopping/dining but we definitely lack entertainment (no movie theater yet, but planned). So the good news about that is housing is a little cheaper in Menifee compared to Temecula but the value is going up quickly as it's expanding. One definite downside is traffic can sometimes be an issue and many worry it will get worse with all the new development (though there are plans set in motion for some of that already as well).

One benefit for your family may be that I believe Menifee is slowly increasing it's own police force here...but don't know enough about that to help really lol.

schools are rated decently, especially elementary. My daughter is getting ready to start preschool though so I don't have any actual experience lol.

Overall, as other have said, there are a lot of similarities between Menifee and Temecula. Temecula is just a little more settled and has a little more shine. Both are great compared to many other cities in the area and much more affordable than heading toward Orange county and such. Also depending one where your husband finds work, the commute might not be so bad (as other common terrible commutes in southern CA can be lol).

I don't know much about Murietta besides its a small gap between Menifee and Temecula lol. I assume it's probably similar to both.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:02 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
The weather in both places is practically the same, except that Menifee may get slightly hotter in the summer months. Menifee will be more affordable.

When it comes to demographics, both Menifee and Temecula/Murrieta are traditional Southern California suburbs: predominantly Caucasian with small Asian and Hispanic populations mixed in.

You probably won't have a problem there at all. I have Filipino relatives that live there and love it. The demographics are actually what make both communities very safe and desirable.
So because it's "predominantly Caucasian" it's more desirable?

Old 09-07-2014, 05:45 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
So because it's "predominantly Caucasian" it's more desirable?
I wanted to comment on that statement, I was trying to give the person the benefit of the doubt. I think what the person was saying that they area could be more desirable for caucasian people simple because that's who was and has been mainly moving to southwest Riverside county. However, with that said, I will say this. Menifee, Temecula, and Murrieta do have a large white population, but other racial groups are moving into the areas as well, and I am sure in another 10 years, it will be noticeable as all of CA is changing demographically anyway to hispanic.

When I moved to Menifee 10 years ago, I did feel like a black pioneer because Menifee has a very small black population. I said this on another thread, my two kids only added to to the black student population that was well under 400 in the entire school district of about 8,000 students at the time. I would say that within the last 5 years, the demographics of Menifee has started to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties