Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 08:15 PM

19 posts, read 33,700 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am new to this site. Looking for some friendly advice on something that may going to change my life. It has always been one of my goals to start a life in California once I graduate college. I just graduated with my degree in criminal justice and sociology this past May. I have been trying so hard to find a job and I have had no luck yet. I am currently residing in Northwest, Indiana (Chicago suburb). I am almost to the point where I will take anything. Long story short, since last week I have been putting resumes out like crazy throughout the Inland Empire in California. This area seems very reasonable with cost of living and so far has many employment opportunities. I then began researching apartments and Riverside seems to be safe and have reasonable rates (a little more, but nicer apartments).

Anyway, last week I went ahead and booked a flight to Ontario to check it out, and apply in person to more jobs. I know from past experience its always a plus to actually introduce yourself to a potential employer. I have checked my application statuses and so far I am still a runner up. I am just worried that I will not be able to find a full time position and my dream of residing in California will be just that, a dream. I can't stress enough how much I hate the weather here, the people, the environment, ect... I have about 10K in savings for what its worth. I figured my budget out and if I can earn at least $2500 in California, I would be fine.

Of course now since the reality has set in, I am worried that finding even a basic job out there would be very difficult. That is why I am posting my current situation, hoping that fellow Californians on here can give me some advice. Why is getting into law enforcement so damn difficult. These are entry-level positions, in which most do not even require a degree. I have volunteer work and some special projects, in which are all relevant to the positions I am applying for.

If anyone has any advice for me, I'd be really appreciative.

P.S. I booked my flight there the end of the month with no return flight back to Chicago. I figured that way I can potential employers more time and I am not rushed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 01:58 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Almost all California Law Enforcement jobs are open for applications on a continuous basis so they always have a pool of applicants. Sadly doesn't mean there are actual job openings.

Have you looked at the CA government site?
Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Job Opportunities

Old 08-11-2014, 03:19 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockEight88 View Post
Hi everyone! I am new to this site. Looking for some friendly advice on something that may going to change my life. It has always been one of my goals to start a life in California once I graduate college. I just graduated with my degree in criminal justice and sociology this past May. I have been trying so hard to find a job and I have had no luck yet. I am currently residing in Northwest, Indiana (Chicago suburb). I am almost to the point where I will take anything. Long story short, since last week I have been putting resumes out like crazy throughout the Inland Empire in California. This area seems very reasonable with cost of living and so far has many employment opportunities. I then began researching apartments and Riverside seems to be safe and have reasonable rates (a little more, but nicer apartments).

Anyway, last week I went ahead and booked a flight to Ontario to check it out, and apply in person to more jobs. I know from past experience its always a plus to actually introduce yourself to a potential employer. I have checked my application statuses and so far I am still a runner up. I am just worried that I will not be able to find a full time position and my dream of residing in California will be just that, a dream. I can't stress enough how much I hate the weather here, the people, the environment, ect... I have about 10K in savings for what its worth. I figured my budget out and if I can earn at least $2500 in California, I would be fine.

Of course now since the reality has set in, I am worried that finding even a basic job out there would be very difficult. That is why I am posting my current situation, hoping that fellow Californians on here can give me some advice. Why is getting into law enforcement so damn difficult. These are entry-level positions, in which most do not even require a degree. I have volunteer work and some special projects, in which are all relevant to the positions I am applying for.

If anyone has any advice for me, I'd be really appreciative.

P.S. I booked my flight there the end of the month with no return flight back to Chicago. I figured that way I can potential employers more time and I am not rushed.
If you are interested in a job as a police officer, many of the "academies" are attached to community colleges. You have the option of enrolling yourself into the sixteen week basic academy, as a civilian. They call it "pre-service". Then, try to perform well enough to attract interest from the local LE agencies.

Departments like to recruit this way. It saves them paying "trainee" salaries. They send their training officers to check out how the cadets are doing, and interview those they find interesting.

If a Department offers you a job, you still have to pass the full battery of tests (except they'll probably waive the "physical agility", since you're already in a fitness regimen). And if no ones hiring, you could graduate without a job.

But you'd have the academy under your belt, and a "basic POST (Peace Officer Standards and Training), that's good for a year, while you search for a job.

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
If you are interested in a job as a police officer, many of the "academies" are attached to community colleges. You have the option of enrolling yourself into the sixteen week basic academy, as a civilian. They call it "pre-service". Then, try to perform well enough to attract interest from the local LE agencies.

Departments like to recruit this way. It saves them paying "trainee" salaries. They send their training officers to check out how the cadets are doing, and interview those they find interesting.

If a Department offers you a job, you still have to pass the full battery of tests (except they'll probably waive the "physical agility", since you're already in a fitness regimen). And if no ones hiring, you could graduate without a job.

But you'd have the academy under your belt, and a "basic POST (Peace Officer Standards and Training), that's good for a year, while you search for a job.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I am willing to take anything as long as it pays decently so I can at least live in California. I completely understand that any LE position will require intense training and that will take a few months. But how am I suppose to do that if I'm not living there???

So basically, my question is... What decent paying job can I get with a degree that will enable me to earn at least $2500K a month? I'd'be willing to work a crappy job as long as I'm living out there and then once. Better opportunity comes, I'm already established out there.

Advice?

Old 08-12-2014, 04:26 PM

Anyone else have any more advice for me? I appreciate it.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:20 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Definitely DONT pay for any training. They'll like how you are eager but they will tell you whatever you learned is not how they things to be done. Plus, its pretty expensive. I've gone thru the employment process with a few different agencies and a couple of my best friends are in law enforcement.

The process is forever long, at least a year. They are starting to hire but if you are a white male, you are last on the list. You'll have to be pretty much perfect to be selected. Pretty sure Riverside Sheriff is hiring. Getting on a city PD will be tough since they are smaller. There were a lot of cutbacks on police and they are just now starting to get some back.

If you're dead set with law enforcement, get an acceptable job and apply ASAP with the agencies you are interested in. They'll BS you saying its not a good idea to apply for multiple spots at once. And if you are serious, you need to be able to run a mile in a decent time. They are some other physical stuff like pullups but the running aspect is key. I saw countless people completely waste their time as if they didn't know running a lap under 2 minutes wasn't put clear as day on the physical testing.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:13 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Try applying for a TSA job... we have quite a few airports here in SoCAL.

It might take a while for you to get an interview, but it's better than not applying.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Definitely DONT pay for any training. They'll like how you are eager but they will tell you whatever you learned is not how they things to be done. Plus, its pretty expensive. I've gone thru the employment process with a few different agencies and a couple of my best friends are in law enforcement.

The process is forever long, at least a year. They are starting to hire but if you are a white male, you are last on the list. You'll have to be pretty much perfect to be selected. Pretty sure Riverside Sheriff is hiring. Getting on a city PD will be tough since they are smaller. There were a lot of cutbacks on police and they are just now starting to get some back.

If you're dead set with law enforcement, get an acceptable job and apply ASAP with the agencies you are interested in. They'll BS you saying its not a good idea to apply for multiple spots at once. And if you are serious, you need to be able to run a mile in a decent time. They are some other physical stuff like pullups but the running aspect is key. I saw countless people completely waste their time as if they didn't know running a lap under 2 minutes wasn't put clear as day on the physical testing.
I guess it's rather unfortunate I am a white male. But I have tried many other jobs than L&E. I want to get established out there. I have applied to a dozen jobs in which I am over qualified. The problem is I am not getting any call backs. I am thinking maybe because my resume says Indiana as my address and this is scarring off potential employers? I've had many people look over my resume and its pretty good. I don't know what else to do at this point? Unless I get luck when I'm actually there.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:06 PM

105 posts, read 374,584 times
Possible job:
DEPUTY PROBATION OFFICER I - Riverside, CA 92501 - Indeed Mobile

Old 08-16-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyahunting View Post
Already applied for that 4 days ago. I even called and emailed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties